View Single Post
Old August 5th, 2011, 07:22 PM

A CAT's WELL BEING

Hi all,

I found this post on Tuesday (today's Friday) when looking online for anything I could find to understand why my beautiful Kittin (8 year old female Chartreux, rescued 7 years ago) suddenly had weak back legs and problems walking normally and jumping.
Suffice to say the info I read here was brilliant especially those comments about and with links to issues pertaining to DIET.
Not withstanding, I took Kittin to the vet today given that, whilst her mobility improved significantly over the past few days, she had not poo'd for all these days and I was worried that she had constipation (caused by early diabetes perhaps?), or a bladder problem (but she was pee'ing ok), or a kidney problem, or worse (FIP, CKD...etc).
Vet did 2 xrays of the spinal column after feeling around to determine that whilst Kittin was evidently in pain it wasn't from kidney or spleen issues but back, maybe muscular (strain, bruised - she's very active despite being 6 kilos 13 pounds and so a little tubby).
Xrays revealed absolutely and perfectly normal spine with maybe just slight early stages of arthrosis in V2 & V3 evidenced by the tell-tale small growths from the edges of the vertebrae which is the body's way of attempting to protect itself and bind the vert's together.
Anyway, what it turned out to be (we hope) is inflammation and perhaps injury, remediable with pain and swelling meds (Artrin and Arnica) which are a trial to administer orally but...I will persist !
Constipation will hopefully pass too - at least she did **** once today (pardon my french) after coming home.
Fingers crossed that is all it is.
Having said that, I did read a LOT about diet thanks to the many many GOOD links from this forum.
I will summarize here what I read (it came from - http://www.catinfo.org) for those of you unlucky enough after me to have to try and take this all in as I did.

What causes sudden health changes and problems (often fatal) in cats?

* if we feed our cats dry food (ANY) we are doing them serious harm despite all the marketing hype, convenience, cheaper cost and typical vet's lack of good advice to cat owners regarding food and diet (not to say the marketing of the dry cat food manufacturers who fill it with wheat not meat to make $$$).
* Cats are carnivores and meant to eat meat (fur and feathers are best - so rabbit and poultry - rather than red 4 legged animal meat or fish (fish not even - see below)
* cats are not meant to eat grain-based dry food which lacks moisture vital for avoiding dehydration that causes kidney problems & renal problems - and bladder problems especially in male cats ; and which lacks animal protein (plant protein is often what's used and this is not the same nor what a cat needs); and dry food is loaded with carbohydrates (which cats don't need in the quantities that are in dry food (40-50% of calories come from carbs in dry food when what they really need is that level of calorie intake from protein, but sadly however as low as 5-10% of the calories come from protein in dry food - when their diet requires the other way around); and the worst is that dry food lacks moisture (water) which cats need lots of, that they do get from wet canned food (typically with 75-80% water content) but don't get from dry food (which typically has about 10% water content), and they still do not even get enough if they drink from a bowl/tap/pond etc aside; and so with all the above when combined - a diet of dry food (high carbs, low water content, low protein) - often if not most times results in diabetes (or worse) in cats....something controllable and reversible with a 100% non-dry food diet if caught early on or before signs appear !!!

It's all here...
http://www.catinfo.org AND
http://catnutrition.wordpress.com/20...ding-for-cats/

I hope as a summary this is "educational"...sure is something I never knew and no-one ever told me but wish they had !

Good luck fellow cat lovers !