View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor
Originally Posted by winterone View Post
@Myka - even if the portions are controlled, you recommend leaving the food down for only 15 minutes twice a day? Scully, the overweight one, is notorious for having a few bites then being okay to walk away
Not Myka, but I don't recommend feeding just twice a day unless you have a cat that gorges on food left out. If Scully is used to eating several small meals a day (which is more natural cat behaviour), then I would either leave out the canned food for her to snack on, or feed her smaller portions several times a day. Just make sure she's getting an appropriate amount of calories for her to lose a safe amount of weight (no more than 2% per week). Do you know how much she weighs now and what her ideal weight should be?

(one of the many reasons why I just couldn't understand why she became overweight!)
Probably because she was returning to the bowl to have a few nibbles many times a day. Just like people, cats often eat out of boredom. Also high carb foods don't trigger a feeling of satiety the way that protein does for cats, so they'll often eat more calories of a high carb food than they would a high protein food. And then the fact that carbs are more likely to be stored as fat, and you have ideal conditions for creating a fat cat.

Does anyone have a favorite (preferably Canadian) wet food?
I like Wellness, Nature's Variety, By Nature Organics, Weruva, Precise, Addiction...... I also think it's important to rotate brands/flavours regularly in order to ensure a better balance of nutrients and to avoid a cat from getting sick of or addicted to one particular food.

For Canadian brands, there's Go! by Petcurean. Can't think of any others right now....
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain." ~ Chinese Proverb

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler