View Single Post
Old July 18th, 2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyedwards View Post
Urea ref is 5.0-12.0 (she is 17.6)
Creatine ref is 71-203 (she is 298)
Phosphorus ref is 1.00-2.4 (she is 1.17)

These were done in April of this year. kidney kitty is now not eating, it's been about 3 meals that she has only eaten maybe a teaspoon of food. We try all 4 each time and she takes a nibble from each one and that's it. I wonder if we should be taking her to the vet? Would it be worthwhile to get her bloodwork done again?
Has your vet mentioned decreasing the time between blood & urine tests?

Often blood/urine tests are done every 3-4 months for CRF or other chronic conditions.

Quote:
Is there anything they can do for her?
You can ask your vet about an appetite stimulant, something that will just increase her desire to eat.

Quote:
She is also quite restless, prior behavior is to sleep all day - now she walks around the house, mostly following us. No other symptoms though (weak legs, vomiting, etc). she has done this no eating before, and we've gone through a few times a month prior of her doing this - but it's been half a year since she's done this. And before her other behavior didn't change, she'd still sleep all day and not follow us around. She just seems to keep looking for something.
Is she restless and irritable or is she alert and wanting to be w/her people? Have you tried feeding her when she's following you, do you think she's hungry? What does she do if you stop & sit down?

I know when I had my kidney cat I could tell by her behaviour when her levels were going up. An increase in toxin levels will make her cranky, irritable, not wanting to sit w/me, she'd be in & out on the balcony all the time etc.

Quote:
Do you know if microwaved food can be put back in the fridge to be used again? trying all 4 foods every meal leaves alot leftover. is it best to throw it away?
I personally wouldn't warm the food in the microwave (course I couldn't either cuz I don't have one ) - it changes the molecular structure of the food - makes me nervous about cat food in there.

Adding a teaspoon or two of warm water, or placing the dish in a sink of hot water for a few minutes (as long as the dish isn't hot when served) will warm the food sufficiently to release the flavour/scent.

Have you tried offering it without warming it? Why not offer kidney cat a food & if she doesn't eat it feed that to one of the others?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food