View Single Post
Old June 15th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Can you provide a link to where you found this information? It does not overly concern me that I am using it on a cat. It is used mostly for cystitis in cats though. I myself use/used some medications for purposes other that what they were intended for. But I cannot find the same warnings for the liver in cats. As far as I can find the risks are very, very low and generally apply to animals, cats and dogs, with already compromised liver function AND if dosing information is not followed closely. It's also being used with success in horses, another "off label" use, according to the Cartrophen website. No medication is for everyone of course so if you, L4H, can help me out with the research it would be appreciated. I can't find it.

9. What about Cartrophen Vet use in cats?

ELMIRON (pentosan polysulphate sodium) is the first and only oral medication that has been approved by the FDA for treating the pain or discomfort of interstitial cystitis (IC) in man. It’s available by prescription only, and is believed to help repair and restore the damaged bladder lining. Clinical studies show some persons may experience symptom improvement in as little as 4 weeks or as long as 3 months.

It has become fairly common practice to use Cartrophen Vet off label in cats for interstitial cystitis and hence we are providing the following information on its current use.

Cartrophen Vet use in cats is an off label use since the product has not been approved for this indication in cats. Information as to its efficacy is anecdotal. Our experience in Canada is that there has been a steady increase in the use of Cartrophen Vet for cats.

Use of Cartrophen Vet to treat arthritic conditions (e.g. cruciate problems) in cats is an off-label use. The same dosage as for dogs has been used by Veterinarians.

And from:
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...=1&SourceID=52
How this Medication is Used

Pentosan polysulfate sodium can be used in the treatment feline idiopathic cystitis, as a preventive against future episodes. The jury is still out as to whether or not it is effective for this use. It is not effective in curtailing an active episode of lower urinary tract disease that is in progress. It is typically dosed twice daily which can be problematic for long term use especially in cats.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey