Originally Posted by Rgeurts
A lot of them are poison. Some will just cause tummy upset, but some can cause convulsions and even death. We made a trip to the emergency clinic once and a few calls to them over the summer. They had us give him peroxide to make him throw up once. He did get a bit of diarrhea and vomiting from them.
We've had mushroom problems in the past, too. Ridge seems to have a knack for finding the ones that cause neurological problems.
And about all the vets can do is hydrate her, keep her comfy and watch her while the fluids flush their systems.
I don't think shelf fungi are toxic, though, are they? I know some people around here harvest the orange shelf fungi when they're quite small and (evidently) still quite tender--they claim they're delicious, but I've never had the courage to try them.
As they get bigger, they get pretty tough...not sure the dogs would try to eat them once they're as big as what Melinda has. It'd be like trying to chew off a piece of rubber...