View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
I'm afraid I see two potential problems with this. First, if they're both being walked together (even with two separate people) and Kailey is uncomfortable, she's giving off all sorts of signals that Chase can read. If she's anxious/fearful/aggressive, he's going to feed off of it and may not react as if he were on his own without that influence. It's exactly what happened with Penny and Lucky when we used to walk them together when they were first adopted. Lucky being terribly fearful of approaching strangers made Penny wary of them. And the more we kept it up because we had no clue at the time, the worse it got before it was pointed out to me.

Second, dogs meeting face-to-face (especially on leash) is not safe as it's not how they would naturally greet. You could unknowingly be forcing a confrontation between two dogs.
I have actually found Chase is far better behaved if he only walks with me....but I feel so much guilt for leaving kailey at home But DH works 12 hour shifts, so he can't always take Kailey if I were to take Chase. So maybe I just need to give her a stuffed kong and get over it?

But when he is NOT with her, he really is amazing on leash. He's been to events before with hundreds of leashed dogs and he's calm and friendly....sniffs, quick hello, moves on....

I'm going to take TeriM's advice on researching body laguage too.....but I really do feel confident with him on a lead.

It's almost like he's worse as part of a pack than he is on his own....does that make sense?
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl