View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
This approach is something I'd be really comfortable with. i feel like he does need rules and limts....but also believe positive reinforcement is crucial. Did you find they work well togather? I think I have thought it's an "either/or' situation.
Yes, they definately work well together. It is not enough to just tell the dog what he can't do you also need to teach them what you want them to do. The biggest key I find to training (excluding special cases) is remembering that dogs do what is reinforcing for them. Reinforce the behavior you want and the dog begins to really understand what you expect from them.

When I refer to rules in home I am talking pretty basic stuff. Wait for permision before going outside, getting off the bed it told, doing behaviors/tricks for treats and meals etc. I walk Riley 1-1.5 hours daily with the bulk of that off-leash but we do all sorts of drills/training/rewards during those walks so he keeps focus with me.

Quote:
Excellent idea....I do find him hard to read sometimes but never thought to educate myself more on the subject. I'll check it out!
It will make things sooooo much clearer for you .

Quote:
I'm afraid I see two potential problems with this. First, if they're both being walked together (even with two separate people) and Kailey is uncomfortable, she's giving off all sorts of signals that Chase can read. If she's anxious/fearful/aggressive, he's going to feed off of it and may not react as if he were on his own without that influence. It's exactly what happened with Penny and Lucky when we used to walk them together when they were first adopted. Lucky being terribly fearful of approaching strangers made Penny wary of them. And the more we kept it up because we had no clue at the time, the worse it got before it was pointed out to me.

Second, dogs meeting face-to-face (especially on leash) is not safe as it's not how they would naturally greet. You could unknowingly be forcing a confrontation between two dogs.
I agree with this advice from LP. It is something to work towards but you are interested in baby steps for now. I would try to find someone with confident, balanced dogs and set up some really positive on leash greetings first. Set your dog up to succeed is training advice given to me that I have found useful.