View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
What worked for us was tightening down the rules and working regular obedience sessions etc but that was combined with lots of positive reinforcement for his good decisions. I worked hard on developing a better relationship with my dog by doing lots of obedience/recall "games" with lots of reinforcement. This causes the dog to look to me for all the "fun stuff" as well as for leadership. When you have that it becomes easy for the dog to look to you for permission to go see other dogs etc. It is also really important to work on lots of self control.
I love how all this really does improve the relationship. I still remember the first time Lucky looked to me for direction in a potentially dangerous situation...it's moments like that where one realizes how important working on trust is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
I can try this....it will take some trial and error I think. Chase has that Border Collie intesity so when he fixates, good luck! But I'll play around with it.
It's the training sessions that will help here and perhaps on-leash at a safe comfortable distance for Chase is the best way to start. Don't leave anything up to chance and manage the environment as best as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
I think DH could rig up something.....our yards meet corner to corner. And yep, they come to the fence too. They are rather aggressive as well.
It would be nice if the neighbors would be willing to work with their dogs too, huh? I can't even talk mine into putting collars on their dogs, nevermind containing them to their yards and training .

What kind of fencing do you have? Maybe a tarp or something attached to it and then another small fence a foot or so away (we temporarily used a strong chicken wire type galvanized fencing at our old home. Inexpensive and found at a hardware store) to prevent Chase and the Bassets from meeting nose to nose. If you need ideas, maybe you can take pics of the area and we can help out. It's not a permanent solution but I think management is key while you're working on teaching new behaviors so that you're setting yourselves up for success.