View Single Post
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam View Post

You are probably better off making the counter physically inaccessible to the dogs, so that you can continue to use your kitchen as you like. For the cats you could also consider putting a cat flap on a closed door, as you may at some point have your baby gates jumped.

Would if I could...too much open concept.

I would book in a short obedience session with Chase every day or every other day.

We have lost some focus on training lately....certainly would not hurt.

For management, if you know a dog who can win against Chase but fights using skill and not injury, it would help him to lose a fight.

NO is all I can say to this.

Fence-running is quite instinctive for a shepherd, but if allowed to do so with neighbours, his level of excitement will increase, and he will begin to do it for the adrenaline rush. Work on your obedience towards this, and also teach him that the neighbour dogs are good. Pet them and talk to them, if Chase shows any sign of neutral or friendly behaviour towards them reward and praise him for it. A common mistake is to react by yelling or punishment, but these tend to increase aggression and animosity.
Kailey is the shepherd....Chase is actually border collie/lab. But reasonable points. I do think he quite enjoys charging to the back corner to seek out the bassetts.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl