View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmpls View Post
I tried putting in chicken breast and pure bites chicken treats in the food - he picked it out, Tomorrow Vet is going to give me dry KD food and she told me to soak it in low sodium chicken broth.

He did come back for the food he hid but only carried it to another spot,
Did you put the whole treat in or just crumble a tiny bit?

Quote:
- Sat was the first time giving him LRS at home(no problem)today was the second time I gave him LRS - not good - he fought me trying to put the needle in I put a cone on his head and it still was VERY difficult 3-4 times he jerked out the needle, finally got it to stay in, once in he laid down very calmly - called Vet, not much help, and asked her about Temuro thin walled needles - said she never heard of them - said all they had was the monojet 18g or 27g - I think Temuro 19 or 20 might work better than the monojet 18g they gave me,
An important thing to remember is to be as calm & stress free as possible yourself before giving fluids as your dog will pick up on your emotions. If he is resisting, struggling & trying to run away, let him go calm down for a few minutes before trying again - we want to try to keep this as relaxed an experience as possible for him & you.

You should always try to keep a hand on your dog to steady the needle in place during the injection, sometimes the skin may bleed a bit if the needle is jerked out.

Warming the fluids before hand is also recommended so there isn't a big shock of cold LRS under the skin for your dog - very uncomfortable. Put the entire LRS bag & drip line inside an extra large ziplock bag & place it in a sink of warm water for a few minutes - be sure the water is not too hot as you don't want to scald your dog either. Testing the temp can be done either by placing the bag on the inside of your wrist or running a small amount of the fluid out onto the inside of your wrist - should be lukewarm to warm never hot. If it's too hot wait a few minutes to allow it to cool a bit.

Have a read through this page, it's also geared towards cats but the same principles apply for a dog: http://www.weirdstuffwemake.com/weir.../catjuice.html

Quote:
I've been on the internet and calling pharmacies around Mpls for about 6 hours today to try and find some(I don't want to wait to get it online his next LRS treatment is Thursday - and the Vet said they can only hand write a perscription and not fax or call it in, so for the internet I will have to mail in the perscription.
Did you ask your local pharmacy if they can special order in the Terumo needles for you? Sometimes if you just ask if they have them & they don't the person doesn't bother to ask if you want to order them in - you have to ask for it yourself.

Did you contact the ones on the list here: http://www.felinecrf.org/obtaining_s...tm#needles_usa

Did your vet advise you on how to properly dispose of the needles? Because of the potential bio-hazard danger and also safety issues of sharp objects the needles must NOT be thrown in the garbage, instead they must be recapped & disposed of into a proper Bio-Hazard Waste Container either at your vets office or the pharmacy.

What I did was took an empty vitamin bottle (any thicker plastic bottle will work) & dropped all the used re-capped needles in there, and when it was full or on the next appointment I brought it into the vets office & emptied into their Bio Hazard Waste Container, got my bottle back to re-use the next time.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food