Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Cat ate fibrous white part of an orange (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84798)

Deirdre03 November 17th, 2013 10:43 AM

Cat ate fibrous white part of an orange
 
Hello,

My cat is 11 years old and with the exception of 1 episode of FLUTD she has never been sick. Friday morning she began crying and vomiting a LOT, she threw up at least 15 times in an hour. I took her to the vet that day and she had an x-ray which didn't show anything unusual. The vet gave her an anti-nausea shot and some fluids, as she was pretty dehydrated from throwing up so much. She ate and drank normally once I brought her home, and didn't throw up at all yesterday (Saturday). This morning (Sunday) she threw up 3 times in my bed & has been quite lethargic all day. In one of the piles of vomit there were some white stingy things (which I did not see in any of the other vomit), so I looked at them closely and I'm 95% sure that it was a piece of the white fibrous part of the centre of an orange. Do I need to take her back to the vet, and if so can i wait until tomorrow (the only clinic open here on sunday is the emergency vet and i have no way to get her there)? Can she pass this on her own, or is this an emergency situation?

Please help, I don't want anything bad to happen to her, I'm really concerned

Barkingdog November 17th, 2013 02:17 PM

If you think your cat has an emergency situation you needs to call the vet right away and not wait for someone to tell what to do on a forum. You could be wasting valuable time for your pet. I hope your cat will be OK.


[url]http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/2094486[/url] This web site said oranges are very toxic to cats.

Reg November 17th, 2013 02:24 PM

It's unusual for a cat to eat citrus fruits but it has happened before. It can be serious. I would be taking your cat to the vet. Hopefully you have the remnants of the throwup to take along with you.
Here's a web site to have a look at.

[url]http://www.ehow.com/facts_5777564_citrus-fruits-poisonous-cats_.html[/url]

marko November 18th, 2013 03:10 PM

I'm not a vet but if it is 100% sure it's just orange fibres that the cat ate, then I'd be shocked if there were any serious effects.

Of course it's that 5% doubt that kills us.

here's what the SPCA says [url]http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants/orange[/url]

ORANGE
Scientific Name: Citrus sinensis
Toxicity: Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Cats, Toxic to Horses
Toxic Principles: Essential oils and psoralens
Clinical Signs: Vomiting, diarrhea, depression; potential photosensitivity

(If your pet ingested this plant, contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.*
* A $65 consultation fee may apply.)

Please give us an update if you get a chance :fingerscr :goodvibes:

dmc123 November 18th, 2013 03:44 PM

does that apply to all citrus? that it is toxic to both cats and dogs?

Diane

Barkingdog November 18th, 2013 05:17 PM

[QUOTE=dmc123;1063018]does that apply to all citrus? that it is toxic to both cats and dogs?

Diane[/QUOTE]

This is on the link I posted .

Yes, citrus fruits like lemons, limes, grapefruit and oranges are all toxic to cats. Consumption of a citrus fruit can cause issues such as vomiting, diarrhea and depression. For some cats, it can also cause photosensitivity, which is a sensitivity to light

Koteburo November 18th, 2013 10:09 PM

Either she ate an orange peel or some fibers of some sort but by the unusual finding in the vomit she definitely ate something she shouldn't have and that's making her sick.
Poor baby I hope her condition improves soon and you give us an update :pray:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.