Trying to figgure out what was wrong with my cat, postmortem.
Hello. I apolagise in advance if this is the wrong spot to be asking for help with this, but I'm looking for any answers I can find.
Two days ago I came home to find my cat dead.
He was aBurmese (perhaps Bombay) Panther
-7 years old
-solid and 26lb (very little fat to him. just a proportionally large cat)
-Completely indoor, never been outside and rarely saw other pets.
I arrived home from work and found asome rather gooey stool on the floor in the basement, with a very small amount of coughed-up blood within a few feet.
I found my cat (Crosbie) a few feet further lying in one of the spots he usually sleeps, with the carpet heavily stained with blood in a pattern that looked as if he were moving a lot in the about 1 square-foot area, and blood (and what seemed to be a very small amount of black liquid) on the floor from his mouth.
My mother had seen him 2 hours prior, behaving and reacting normally with no signs of anything wrong.
I'm really looking for some closure. I scourered the house making sure he did not eat anything that could have hurt him, and of the very few things I am not 100% sure he did not get to would have caused completely different, much less severe symptoms.
We have narrowed it down to a severe heart-attack, and perhaps tainted food.
-We had just gotten a new bag of Purina Indoor Cat Chow -the brand he has had since a kitten- and it had been less than a week since he'd been eating the new bag.
The only concerning symptoms of anything he showed recently was odd breathing about 3 weeks ago, which went away after a day when he was given anti-hairball paste.
Sorry for the wall of text, but any insigt would be greatly appreciated.
Your cat could had been bleeding internally from cancer or he ate a mouse that been poisoned? . I am sorry to hear you found your cat this way.
[QUOTE=Barkingdog;1062045]Your cat could had been bleeding internally from cancer or he ate a mouse that been poisoned? . I am sorry to hear you found your cat this way.[/QUOTE]
Not sure about cancer.
As I said; my mother saw him 2 hours before I found him dead, and he was acting no different than he always did, which rules out most illnesses.
A mouse?. possible (though the one time we did have mice, he he just played with them)
I'm so sorry to hear of your tragic loss.
The only way you might know the cause of death is a necropsy and after this time I'm doubtful your Vet will be able to do it. The ideas above are reasonable, even the cancer, even if you did not notice anything amiss. Cats, animals in general, are stoic and often do not show us signs of illness or pain till it's too late for us to act. I'm so sorry.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2013 Pets.ca. All Rights Reserved.