Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Mushroom poisoning - my girl is sick! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84198)

renkma June 25th, 2013 02:02 AM

Mushroom poisoning - my girl is sick!
 
Sunday afternoon my 12yo B. Spaniel Honey ate a piece of a mushroom in our yard. 2 hours later she was sick - vomited and diarrhea. We rushed her to the Emergency vet with the mushroom in question but couldn't tell us much. He even called poison control, and they couldn't help much either. They both felt through that it was probably just GI distress and she would be fine. They did offer charcoal and and anti-emet, but we declined - she seemed better.

Monday she was eating and drinking normally, acting normally, and didn't seem to be uncomfortable - she even had a normal bowel movement after her lunch. Monday night however, she was unsure about eating, but did. She became very nervous (but she has anxiety disorder with thunderstorms and I knew some small ones were in the area - I gave her the prescribed valium she takes because of thunderstorm phobia to help calm her) And then asked to go outside multiple times through the night but did nothing but slight usual panic with thunder going on. Around 2AM she was VERY ill and woke me up - all liquidy from everything she had taken in during the day - BUT NO blood. I was told to watch for blood, there was none! Just her food, water, and perhaps some bile.

She then wanted water and I let her have some - after being that ill I don't want to risk dehydration. She drank and is now resting - keeping the water down. She doesn't seem uncomfortable at all - there is no lethargy or weakness. It is 3AM and I can't get her into the vet until morning. I am TERRIFIED that I am losing my girl!!

I researched mushroom poisoning and we were all pretty sure it was muscarine poisoning - she had some of those symptoms after ingestion. Could I be wrong? I haven't found any mushrooms on the property that have all the really NASTY properties (Deathcap type) - just mower's mushrooms and some inocybes (which are now all painstakingly removed before by dogs go out).

I'm freaking out - is there anyone out there right now that knows what to look for with mushroom poisoning? 2 hours after ingestions - weepy eyes, salivation, vomiting, and diarrhea - stopped quickly. 48 hours after ingestion quick episode of extreme vomiting (meaning a lot) - liquid contents of digestive system but NO BLOOD. She is quiet now, resting - seems maybe a little restless but not panting or acting upset.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll have her into the hospital first thing in the morning. 5 more hours. It's the best that can be done - I live out in the country far from town with no transportation right now.

MaxaLisa June 25th, 2013 04:43 AM

Some areas have all night supermarkets and some stores will carry herbs, and they might have charcoal. I had to use some when my girl ate some of the plant I was trimming and she started frothing at the nouth - I used 8 capsules for my 18 pounder. Luckily the plant wa only mildly toxic.

Burnt toast I sometimes used as a substitute, but I don't think it will be potent enough, and it might have to be given sooner, closer to ingestion.

I hope thing will be okay, keeping you guys in my thoughts.

renkma June 25th, 2013 07:20 AM

Honey was ill several times after 2AM - and couldn't hold water down. We rushed her to the emergency vet at 4AM. They ran a bloodwork and the results showed that her liver had failed - she was basically dying.

Honey passed away at 6:15AM. I am devastated.


PLEASE everyone out there - make sure there are no mushrooms in your yard anywhere. I lost my girl - my everything - because of one little tiny mushroom.

My heart is shattered.

Jull June 25th, 2013 09:30 AM

[QUOTE=renkma;1058974]Honey was ill several times after 2AM - and couldn't hold water down. We rushed her to the emergency vet at 4AM. They ran a bloodwork and the results showed that her liver had failed - she was basically dying.

Honey passed away at 6:15AM. I am devastated.


PLEASE everyone out there - make sure there are no mushrooms in your yard anywhere. I lost my girl - my everything - because of one little tiny mushroom.

My heart is shattered.[/QUOTE]

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss :cry::2huggers:

Dog Dancer June 25th, 2013 09:56 AM

I am so sorry to hear about Honey. How tragic. I have been pulling mushrooms from our lawn for the last 2 weeks - it never ends. One of my pups ate a mildly toxic flower bulb when she was just a tiny pup and spent a night in emerg, unlike Honey she survived with no ill effects fortunately.

RIP sweet Honey, you were and always will be loved.:candle:

CsqU4r3d June 25th, 2013 10:57 AM

I am so very sorry for your loss. RIP sweet honey:candle::grouphug:

hazelrunpack June 25th, 2013 05:52 PM

I'm so very sorry about your loss of Honey. :grouphug: Honey was obviously very well-loved and a lucky girl to have been part of your family.

We've had dogs on activated charcoal and fluid therapy multiple times over the years after eating nasty mushrooms. :( We never have been able to identify which mushrooms are the bad ones, which is very scary.

I hope your happy memories of Honey make you smile again soon. :2huggers:

:candle: Honey

MaxaLisa June 25th, 2013 06:26 PM

I am so very very sorry :(

(Hug)

pbpatti June 25th, 2013 07:06 PM

I am so, so sorry of your loss. :grouphug::angel2::rip: Dear sweet Honey. Mushrooms are very nasty things.

renkma June 26th, 2013 12:31 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind lights, hugs, and wishes. I'm destroyed over this but it's not about me. My girl is gone and I don't even know what hit me.Two mornings now without Honey. I still need to go out and pull all the mushrooms to keep our remaining Daisy safe, although she isn't interested in them. All she cares about is her Kong - which is a good thing. But these mushrooms everywhere after the rains - there's so many. I look under the bushes and I can't believe how many there are hiding in the dark. Honey used to crawl under those bushes when I'd turn my back for two seconds to pick up a poop. I'd turn around and all I would see is mulch being kicked out from under a bush - Honey was in there digging up all these things. I feel like I am to blame - I had no idea she was getting them under there.

The loss of her is a punishment well deserved. To say that I've learned a lesson somehow trivializes what happened to her. I thought I was getting them all and keeping them safe. I didn't know!!!! I'm so sorry Honey.

Thank you everyone.

pbpatti June 26th, 2013 01:44 PM

I have attached a website that you may be interested in. It breaks my heart that you are blaming yourself for this tragedy. There are just some things that we have no control over. Sadly we cannot watch our pets 24/7. :grouphug:

Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement

[url]http://aplb.org/index.php[/url]

marko June 26th, 2013 03:05 PM

Please accept my deepest condolences, I am so so sorry to read this. :sorry:

This is a terrible tragedy and we can feel your pain. :grouphug:

But lets get something straight right here right now.

This was an accident, a tragic accident.
They happen every day to innocent beautiful people and innocent beautiful animals and you are NOT to blame. You do not deserve this in any way shape or form.

It's obvious to us all that your broken heart is full of love...and we are grieving with you, I know I am. :grouphug:

:rip: Sweet Honey :candle:
Sincerely - Marko

renkma June 26th, 2013 03:24 PM

Thank you so much Marco, patti, all of you.

I just don't know why this happened - how can these tiny little mushrooms have destroyed her liver so fast??? My emotions are everywhere. Blaming myself. Blaming the mulch - the place where I got the mulch. Blaming the vet that I first took her to on Sunday that didn't really push for me to have bloodwork and charcoal done. I'm so mad that he told me he really felt it was just minor stomach upset and that it had passed. I took his word for it and took Honey home. 30 hours later, she is dying from acute liver failure. WTH?????????

Then I stop blaming and I'm just overcome with sorrow. So thank you for scolding me - I know deep down you're right Marco. I just feel that blaming myself puts some kind of sense to this sensless loss.

Here's my Honey - thank you on her behalf for everyone's kindness.

[IMG]http://brainpanpublishing.com/Frisket/BananaMuffinGaze.jpg[/IMG]

and sadly, this picture was taken two days before she passed.

[url]http://brainpanpublishing.com/Frisket/HoneyWindowJune23-13.jpg[/url]

Barkingdog June 26th, 2013 06:29 PM

I am sorry this happen , Honey may had been eating the mushrooms for awhile and very slowing the poison was building up in her body and it finally killed her.

pbpatti June 27th, 2013 03:49 PM

What a beautiful girl she was. :pray::angel2::grouphug:

renkma June 28th, 2013 05:27 AM

Thank you so much pbpatti. Yes, she really was.

I love you Honey, my baby girl; my beauty :candle:

marko June 28th, 2013 07:03 AM

It's too soon renkma, but maybe in a few weeks, if you have the courage to take a few pictures of the poison mushrooms and send them to me, maybe we can write up an article on poison mushrooms. Maybe it, can prevent a future tragedy for someone else. Just a thought. :grouphug:

Barkingdog June 28th, 2013 08:56 AM

[url]http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/news-5-truly-toxic-mushrooms[/url]



This link show the most deadly mushrooms.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.