Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Puppy health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Confusion on puppy vaccines (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84161)

animal_love June 16th, 2013 11:42 AM

Confusion on puppy vaccines
 
Hi all,
My akbash x lab puppy Oskar is 18 weeks old now but I am concerned about the timing of his vaccinations and I would like to hear your opinions.

Oskar was given:
6 weeks (by rescue organization vet)-Distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza and parvo

9 weeks-Same as at 6 weeks

13 weeks- Rabies, Bordatella, Parainfluenza, "DAPV" vaccine

I am just concerned because 13 weeks seems early to be done all the vaccinations and our friends who have Oskar's brother are getting him a 4th set?

I just want to make sure Oskar is fully protected so my mind can be at ease :)

Thanks!

Barkingdog June 16th, 2013 12:36 PM

[url]http://www.ehow.com/facts_5152902_should-puppies-first-shots.html[/url]



I found this web site that may help you.

Loki Love June 16th, 2013 12:37 PM

I tend to follow Dr. Jean Dodds' vaccination protocol :

[url]http://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/34024828409/dodds-canine-vaccination-protocol-2012[/url]

It's always best to discuss this program with your vet though :)

MaxaLisa June 16th, 2013 03:20 PM

The problem is that the 6 weeks was too early :(

If they receive a shot between 14-16 weeks, that will often provide long term immunity, for sure if it's 16 weeks.

In you situation, I'd send blood off for titers through dodds. If the vaccines "took", you shouldn't need vaccine for a long time.

Longblades June 16th, 2013 06:00 PM

The rescue seems to be following an old protocol which would see vaccinations at three week intervals starting at 6 weeks, and giving four sets of vaccinations with the rabies at the last one.

Newer protocol is three sets at four week intervals starting just before or at 8 weeks. Rabies still at the last. Actually, the rescue seems to be merging the two, I'd ask about that.

Many of us now routinely separate what vaccinations we can so as not to overwhelm a puppy with a whole lot at once. This often means we can only separate the rabies and do it later by at least a couple of weeks.

Do you have your own Vet? Did you ask there? Sounds like the deed is done now and no point in worrying about it. But you could still follow up with what the protocol will be in the future when his one year boosters are due. Yep, Dr. Jean Dodds protocol is a good compromise between the old and no vaccinations, other than rabies which is required by law, most places in N. America. Or you could investigate titres.

animal_love June 18th, 2013 10:50 PM

Thanks for the replies guys,

Ya I was mostly worried because the six weeks was too young and now he is already 18 weeks so he should be done now anyways.

When we called our vet a while back she seemed to think Oskar would not need another set. So it sounds like different vets have different opinions.

I just wish we would have noticed the vaccines were on a weird schedule earlier so that we could have got them back on track but he's already out of the normal ages so I am not sure what to do now.

I think at this point I might just leave his vaccines as if until he goes in for boosters next year, would you guys say that is too risky?

sugarcatmom June 19th, 2013 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=Longblades;1058700]Yep, Dr. Jean Dodds protocol is a good compromise between the old and no vaccinations, other than rabies which is required by law. [/QUOTE]

Just a note that rabies vaccines aren't legally required here in Calgary.

Longblades June 19th, 2013 07:34 AM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;1058783]Just a note that rabies vaccines aren't legally required here in Calgary.[/QUOTE]Thanks. I edited my post. I think it isn't required by law in Alberta either? Couldn't find a definitive update on old internet info. to say so.

MaxaLisa June 19th, 2013 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=animal_love;1058776]
I think at this point I might just leave his vaccines as if until he goes in for boosters next year, would you guys say that is too risky?[/QUOTE]

That's what I would do, but i'm comfortable with that small risk, which I think is very small, but not non-existent. I personally think there is risk from over-vaxing too.

glee070 June 30th, 2013 11:16 PM

vaccines
 
Please take your dog to a holistic veterinarian. All those vaccines are detrimental to your dog's health.[QUOTE=animal_love;1058685]Hi all,
My akbash x lab puppy Oskar is 18 weeks old now but I am concerned about the timing of his vaccinations and I would like to hear your opinions.

Oskar was given:
6 weeks (by rescue organization vet)-Distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza and parvo

9 weeks-Same as at 6 weeks

13 weeks- Rabies, Bordatella, Parainfluenza, "DAPV" vaccine

I am just concerned because 13 weeks seems early to be done all the vaccinations and our friends who have Oskar's brother are getting him a 4th set?

I just want to make sure Oskar is fully protected so my mind can be at ease :)

Thanks![/QUOTE]

MaxaLisa July 1st, 2013 05:12 PM

Actually, the vet didn't give lepto, nor coronavirus, and didn't give a 4th series. That's pretty good from a historical perspective. Separating the rabies would have been better.

No sense in seeing a holistic vet now, vaccines are done (and some holistic vets aren't really that holistic). But you'll have to figure out what you are going to do when you get all those reminder cards next year saying that you must revax. At that one year mark, my girl's titers were all protective.

animal_love July 6th, 2013 05:35 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry i took so long to answer back.

I didn't know that rabies wasn't required here in Calgary but that is good to know.

I also decided to wait until next year because as most of you said, I don't want to over vaccinate and he is already 5 months now.

I had one final question, I volunteer for an animal rescue foundation (not frequently though) but i stopped for a while to make sure Oskar didn't catch a sickness. Would you guys say it would be safe to volunteer there again without putting Oskar's health at risk?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.