Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   What mix am I? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79273)

067734m November 4th, 2011 01:10 PM

What mix am I?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I'm new here and would appreciate some help on determining the breeding of this dog I'm considering for adoption (see pictures)...

He's a "young" male, suspected Lab/Collie mix, weighing about 70lbs. He's described as having 'no hound character traits', which I think is why he was listed as Lab/collie. He's also described as being very smart (ie can open latches and doors) and generally quiet and calm. We're located in the Southern US (read: rural).

Please give me your best guesses!

Marty11 November 4th, 2011 01:41 PM

What a cutie :thumbs up I can't figure this one out, I see Collie or perhaps Border Collie? Mixed with....

hazelrunpack November 4th, 2011 01:42 PM

Whippet maybe? Sure is a cutie!

Dog Dancer November 4th, 2011 02:17 PM

I'm with Hazel, I thought Whippet also. He sure is good looking. Sounds and looks like a winner. Let us know if you decide to adopt him, and thank you for considering adoption.
:thumbs up

Marty11 November 4th, 2011 02:39 PM

He has the face and eyes of a terrier maybe mixed with the the lab/collie

Winston November 4th, 2011 07:00 PM

Greyhound,Beagle,Terrier

Cutie pie!!! :thumbs up

Melinda November 4th, 2011 07:41 PM

greyhound , beagle,..................

BenMax November 5th, 2011 08:52 AM

There is absolutely hound in this dog.
Whatever the mix, absolutely gorgeous.
If in doubt, there are DNA tests you can purchase. If the breeds within your dog are indentified (not all breeds are), then there is a good chance you will know. Based on this, you will be able to perhaps understand your dog's needs, behaviours and characteristics.

067734m November 10th, 2011 10:33 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for all the input. :thumbs up For some reason, I never would have thought of the gryehound/whippet angle. (Probably as he's coming from a Beagle and Dalmation Rescue - who also have lots of other breeds). I've 'googled' a few of the mixes and they all look pretty similar. Guess I'll never know! (Unless I get that DNA test - but so far, it hasn't come to that!)

We adopted his 100% hound 'kennel' mate last year, and I'm thinking long and hard about a second dog. Both were suggested to us for their quiet, calm nature (and we know they get along!). However, I've had some challenges training our first real hound dog, so I was hoping that this guy is more 'non-hound' than hound... (According to the Rescue, he acts more "non-hound"). Guess I'll have to find out!

happycats November 10th, 2011 05:19 PM

looks like a hound mix.
Finnish hound
tricolor hound

erykah1310 November 10th, 2011 10:54 PM

Definately some sight hound in there which is just as much of a challenge if not more than a scent hound ;)
Lovely dog

Marty11 November 11th, 2011 08:08 AM

I have never owned a hound dog, but I'm sure there are many challenged breeds out there anyway. Example, I have two high prey terrier dogs....that's a challenge too!!! Herding dogs can be ankle nippers, etc...This dog is a mix breed so I'm sure it can be less intense for instincts. And I love having two dogs esp if one dog is established and you can concentrate on the new addition. :thumbs up

067734m November 23rd, 2011 11:06 AM

I just got to meet this dog in person.
He's not as tall as the pictures suggest.
He's NOT short coupled - has a very long back and long tail.
His leg bones and tail look thicker than in the picture (perhaps he filled out with a little more muscle after being in the kemmel?).
The rescue said that he was very fat, and already neutered when they found him! The mystery continues...

Right now, I am leaning towards adoption, and giving both our "Heinz 57" dogs DNA tests for their 'birthdays' - or I guess I should say adoption anniversaries! :thumbs up

Thanks to all the contributors!

Myka November 23rd, 2011 09:38 PM

Those DNA tests are a gimmick, they have proven to not be consistent. I saw an article on it (TV or online I can't remember) that had blood from ONE dog sent in THREE times and got totally different answers. I think the trouble is that so many different breed were used to develop each "pure" breed many years ago so the DNA isn't particularly defined.

My guess is Beagle and Greyhound. :D

Canadianbella December 27th, 2011 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=Winston;1028362]Greyhound,Beagle,Terrier

Cutie pie!!! :thumbs up[/QUOTE]

Exactly what I was thinking

Longblades December 28th, 2011 08:34 AM

I can't help seeing a lot of Walker in that dog. My neighbours found one a month ago and his pictures are here: [url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79399[/url]

cpietra16 December 28th, 2011 09:10 AM

Not sure what he is but he sure has the eyes of a DOn Juan..:thumbs up:cloud9:

mastifflover January 3rd, 2012 04:48 AM

I see greyhound and lurcher and very cute

cell January 3rd, 2012 08:12 PM

If you want to do a DNA test do it for fun not for truth, even multi generational papered pure bred dogs get results which are not for their breed.

H.P. January 7th, 2012 07:26 AM

I see a lot of hound here, could be he gets his looks from hound, his personality from whatever else is in there. He is a cutie pie!

Soundy January 24th, 2012 01:42 PM

I'd say whippet is a big part... the markings suggest beagle to me.

If you want to do the DNA test, by all means, go for it... no, it's not completely accurate... I don't think any of them claim to be. They can come pretty close, though. I posted about Groucho's DNA test here: [url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1033235#post1033235[/url]

DarKevs February 21st, 2012 01:31 PM

very houndy looking!

possibly a Saluki in the wood pile somewhere. :)

cool looking dog!