Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Odd Behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75425)

KirschSalvator February 22nd, 2011 03:58 PM

Odd Behavior

I don't know if there is already a line of discussion for this, and if so I apologize. My 1ish year old neutered male cat has been acting strange recently with me 4 1/2 month old female Yorkie. Normally they play together, and it's really cute but as of late it seems as though he is trying to mount her. If he wasn't neutered, I could understand, but he's been fixed. He doesn't spray of anything, but he's been getting on top of her and biting her neck and it almost looks like he's trying to, well...hump her. :shrug: Does anyone know why he would be doing this?

MuskokaDogLover February 22nd, 2011 04:50 PM

Weird...I have never heard of anything like this before....best bet would be to take him to the vet!

sugarcatmom February 22nd, 2011 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=KirschSalvator;987464]Does anyone know why he would be doing this?[/QUOTE]

Could just be exuberant play. Cats frequently straddle each other and bite the neck while playing. Even if he's actually making thrusting motions, he's probably just acting out his joy and excitement. I really wouldn't worry about it unless he's hurting your dog or it becomes an obsessive behaviour.

Rgeurts February 22nd, 2011 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=KirschSalvator;987464]I don't know if there is already a line of discussion for this, and if so I apologize. My 1ish year old neutered male cat has been acting strange recently with me 4 1/2 month old female Yorkie. Normally they play together, and it's really cute but as of late it seems as though he is trying to mount her. If he wasn't neutered, I could understand, but he's been fixed. He doesn't spray of anything, but he's been getting on top of her and biting her neck and it almost looks like he's trying to, well...hump her. :shrug: Does anyone know why he would be doing this?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, I have no advice for you, but I wanted to say thank you for the laugh!! :laughing: :laughing:

I had a male cat who used to do that to my ferret as well. They were the best of friends and it brought back those funny memories! I don't know if it's "normal", but in our case, it wasn't harmful. Good luck!

catlover2 February 23rd, 2011 11:11 AM

Some male cats will do this even tho neutered. As others have suggested, as long as he isn't harming the dog it is a normal thing. Has your Yorkie been spayed? How does the Yorkie react? Does she bite at him? growl? run away? run to you?

If it's really excessive and the Yorkie is [I]really bothered[/I], you might spray cat with water. If that doesn't work, remove him and give him a "time out" in another room for 5 mins. If cat goes right back after dog, rattle a can with pennies at him, and/or stomp your feet at him and tell him "No" sternly. You may have to keep your cat separated from Yorkie during times you can't supervise. Let us know how things work out.

14+kitties February 23rd, 2011 11:20 AM

:laughing: Just showing his "affection". The pup will soon put him in his place if she doesn't like it.

Love4himies February 23rd, 2011 12:08 PM

:laughing::laughing::laughing: sounds like my Jasper :laughing:. He loves his girls :cloud9::lovestruck:. Unless your Yorkie is really bothered by it (and I think she would tell him so), I wouldn't worry about it.

Snowball used to use my pj top and bite it and do that to my shirt :yuck:.

So I think it is not totally unusual for a neutered cat to act that way.

KirschSalvator February 23rd, 2011 01:04 PM

She's not old enough to be spayed, and we're thinking of breeding her. It doesn't seem to bother her. She'll just keep chewing on her bone while he does it, if she gets too annoyed she'll move and if he continues she'll put him in his place. Thanks to everyone who answered, I'm glad that he's not the only one who does it lol

sugarcatmom February 23rd, 2011 04:09 PM

[QUOTE=KirschSalvator;987685]She's not old enough to be spayed, and we're thinking of breeding her. [/QUOTE]

Oh really? Any particular reason you think she should have puppies?

[url]http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/pet_overpopulation/facts/overpopulation_estimates.html[/url]