Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Since I am the only one posting... (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=72034)

chico2 August 16th, 2010 01:19 PM

Since I am the only one posting...

1 Attachment(s)
It seems nobody wants to post,so here is a pic I took today,it was supposed to be of hubby,skimming the pool:laughing:
That little figure in the back is him though:laughing:

Dog Dancer August 16th, 2010 01:23 PM

Ohhh, nice pool, nice hubby, nice yard. Did I miss anything. Great pic. Today I would be happy to have a pool! Actually,hubby is away for six weeks and I'd be happy to have a hubby too!! :D

sugarcatmom August 16th, 2010 01:24 PM

Oh oh! You have a Pool Boy! How awesome is that. :D

shirley1011 August 16th, 2010 01:27 PM

I could never post pictures of my gardens...they are all weeds this year...I kill them and they bounce right back and huge!!!!
I have one of my hibiscous I will post later...the only one without weeds...I guess cause it's in a pot!

Rgeurts August 16th, 2010 01:28 PM

Ohhh... nice pool, and pool boy! ;)

You have such a beautiful garden as well :D
I have such a brown thumb... thank goodness for my beautiful, green-thumbed MIL, otherwise, all my plants would be dead :laughing:

chico2 August 16th, 2010 04:04 PM

Thank's everyone,hubby will be flattered:laughing:he's a pretty good pool-boy and not too bad looking:laughing:

aslan August 16th, 2010 04:06 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;945089]Thank's everyone,hubby will be flattered:laughing:he's a pretty good pool-boy and not too bad looking:laughing:[/QUOTE]

i'll agree with Chico2 on that one her hubby is a cutie and what a sweetheart he is...and of course i loooooove the gardens.

chico2 August 16th, 2010 04:20 PM

Oh,Oh Aslan I'll have to show him what you said,but you are right,after 100 yrs together he's a good guy,for sure:lovestruck:

aslan August 16th, 2010 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;945096]Oh,Oh Aslan I'll have to show him what you said,but you are right,after 100 yrs together he's a good guy,for sure:lovestruck:[/QUOTE]

lol,,,sure go ahead and show him, he is a good guy and deserves the praise..then again look at the wonderful woman he married..:D

14+kitties August 16th, 2010 07:31 PM

You saw my gardens on Saturday. Nothing there to post pics of. :shrug: Hopefully I will get my act together and do better next year. :o
Love your garden pic. And your Cabana boy. Does he do home visits? :D [SIZE="1"]Oh yeah, guess that would mean I would need a pool, huh? [/SIZE] I love you two! :grouphug:

Luvmypitgirls August 19th, 2010 10:34 PM

chico, if I save all my pennies and fly you out next spring will you help me make my gardens at least half as beautiful as yours?

chico2 August 20th, 2010 07:47 AM

LMPG,sure,start saving:laughing:
Then I can visit my son at the same time:laughing:But honestly,with 4 large dogs,you don't need a garden:dog:

shirley1011 August 20th, 2010 08:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is my Hibiscous! and my gardenia & Jack

[ATTACH]68520[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68521[/ATTACH]

chico2 August 20th, 2010 01:12 PM

Shirley,that looks more like a double Rose of Sharon,rather than a Hibiscus,the same as mine,except yours is pink,very pretty,but of course I could be wrong.:confused:
Had another look,it probably is a Hibiscus,just different..beautiful

14+kitties August 20th, 2010 02:46 PM

[QUOTE=chico2;946031]Shirley,that looks more like a double Rose of Sharon,rather than a Hibiscus,the same as mine,except yours is pink,very pretty,but of course I could be wrong.:confused:
Had another look,it probably is a Hibiscus,just different..beautiful[/QUOTE]

You are right chico. It's a double Rose of Sharon. But they are in the hibiscus family and nurseries will sell them as hibiscus. Technically they aren't wrong.

Depending on what you use for a reference tool Rose of Sharon would not be even close to hibiscus. My Canadian Encyclopedia by Dorling Kindersley states Rose of Sharon is a flowering yellow bush in the hypericum calycinum family. Otherwise known as Aaron's Beard. Again - it all depends on geographical location what names plants go by.

shirley1011 August 20th, 2010 03:24 PM

I don't know...I bought it as a double hibiscous and it is an indoor plant that we put in the greenhouse over the winter. I have several different colours of them but this is the only standard and non winter hardy.

14+kitties August 20th, 2010 04:20 PM

[QUOTE=shirley1011;946050]I don't know...I bought it as a double hibiscous and it is an indoor plant that we put in the greenhouse over the winter. I have several different colours of them but this is the only standard and non winter hardy.[/QUOTE]

See that's just different areas. Around here the nurseries would call them Double Rose of Sharon. In your area it's Double Hibiscus. They call them whatever is popular in the area. Here people love Rose of Sharons. :shrug:
I LOVE that Jack flower!! :cloud9:

shirley1011 August 20th, 2010 05:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
No I have a double Rose of Sharon...actually 3 of them...and I have about 20 tropical hibiscous that we keep in the greenhouse....here is a picture of our double Rose of Sharon and then my favourite yellow rose.[ATTACH]68536[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68537[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68538[/ATTACH]

14+kitties August 20th, 2010 07:00 PM

Ok, gotcha'. :thumbs up You have the tender variety of hibiscus. Ones that will freeze in our temps so therefore have to be overwintered. There are so many different varieties of hibiscus. Annuals, perennials, shrubs, trees, etc. As I said, technically all are in the same family. Sorry for the confusion.

shirley1011 August 20th, 2010 07:11 PM

yes they are all part of the hibiscus family and it is too bad they all weren't winter hardy...it sure would save a lot of fuss all winter! I would love to get one of those perennial ones with the big moon faces....had one before we moved and just never got another.

chico2 August 21st, 2010 10:37 AM

Those are beautiful Shirley,I love my double Rose of Sharon,looks almost like a Gardenia.
My Hibiscuses are very hardy,overwinter great, guess there are many different kinds,like you and 14+say.

Goldfields August 22nd, 2010 11:34 PM

Shirley, I love that first hibiscus, very pretty indeed. Can you tell me the name of the yellow rose, it's a real beauty. I laughed when a friend on a garden forum here admitted to buying two more roses when she swore she had no more room and wasn't buying any more. She put on the end of her post , my name is Val and I am an addict, like it was an AA meeting. LOL. Well, I ditto that, I just bought 8 more. Seven David Austins and the hybrid tea, Kronenburg. I'd add your yellow lovely if it was available here. I'm really looking forward to Spring.

shirley1011 August 23rd, 2010 06:18 AM

The yellow Rose is called Valencia...I tried to get more from the distributor in the spring but they were out of stock so I have my order in for the fall. I get all my roses from Hortico which is over in Waterdown, Ont.

Tundra_Queen August 23rd, 2010 07:25 AM

what beautiufl flowers!!

Chico...has her very own pool guy...wowzer! Chico...is he your boy toy too? :D:laughing:

Goldfields August 23rd, 2010 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Shirley, I actually do have Valencia here but see why I didn't realise it was the same rose, the colour is brighter here. Maybe it's a bit like Just Joey, which can vary a lot depending on climatic conditions? I really wish my rose was as mature, strong and healthy as yours, it's still very young.

14+kitties August 23rd, 2010 11:35 AM

[QUOTE=Goldfields;946654]Shirley, I actually do have Valencia here but see why I didn't realise it was the same rose, the colour is brighter here. Maybe it's a bit like Just Joey, which can vary a lot depending on climatic conditions? I really wish my rose was as mature, strong and healthy as yours, it's still very young.[/QUOTE]

Maybe it's the camera. Not the rose. :shrug:

shirley1011 August 23rd, 2010 12:11 PM

Mine is only 3 years old and it is under a beech tree so maybe that is the difference...

chico2 August 23rd, 2010 04:18 PM

Those yellow roses are very pretty,I absolutely love my Roses in the spring and early summer'I have 11,counting the back and front,but now,although still blooming they are stalky and ugly looking:(
Shirley,I believe most Roses do better if they get some shade during the day.

Goldfields August 23rd, 2010 09:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
According to Treloars, chico2, one of the leading rose suppliers here ....

(quote) All roses require an open, sunny and well drained position. AT LEAST 5 HOURS OF DIRECT SUN PER DAY IS REQUIRED(their emphasis, not mine, it was in capitals in the cultural notes), preferably more. Although shaded areas will allow roses to do well, the quantity of flowers will diminish with the percentage of shade. (end quote)

So, it may be that because mine is in full sun, the colour is more vibrant. I love the slightly muted colour of Shirley's though, and it has such a lovely form, that rose. Looks fantastic in her photo with so many blooms.

Just Joey is an unusual rose, it really alters dramatically when exposed to cold weather. Grown down in Tasmania where it's cold, it can be like this

[url]http://www.rosetalkaustralia.com/gallery/Rose-Image-Bank/Just-Joey-pic_111.htm[/url]

or grown here in Victoria when it's warmer it can be like this. Without frilling on the petals and it's the 'coppery orange to buff ' colour that it should be. You'd think it was a different rose.

Luvmypitgirls August 24th, 2010 01:23 AM

[QUOTE=chico2;945871]LMPG,sure,start saving:laughing:
Then I can visit my son at the same time:laughing:But honestly,with 4 large dogs,you don't need a garden:dog:[/QUOTE]

I have a small garden that runs the fence at the back of the yard. I have sage and rubarb growing next to some juniper, and a sherbert tree of some sort and then two evergreens. If the previous owners planted something in between well it must've died.
I'm more of a container gardener myself, even tho I haven't had much success with that either.