Pet forum for dogs cats and humans -

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - (
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (
-   -   Traveling with a Dog's Medication (

serenamlambe July 14th, 2010 11:06 AM

Traveling with a Dog's Medication
In August, I'm hoping to be traveling home to Newfoundland to visit family, friends, and for my Mom's wedding. I say hoping because, although the tickets are booked, we're waiting to see about Keely's medical condition. She's booked to travel with me in the cabin on Air Canada.

Do any of you have experience traveling with a pet's medication? She's most likely going to be on the phenobarbital, antibiotics, and I have valium/syringes in case of a seizure that I want to take as well. I will get a letter from our veterinarian explaining that she is prescribed these things, but I'm not sure how it is going to go over. I can't find any Air Canada number to call about it.

The Canadian Air Transport Security Agency says this on their website, "Syringes - Must be for personal medical use, and the needle guard must be in place. The person must possess medication that is to be administered by means of the syringe or needle and biojectors, and the medication must be in a container that bears the name of the medication and the name of either the pharmacy that dispensed the medication or the manufacturer of the medication."

Does medication for a dog count? I'm assuming it should, but I am a little nervous about it. Also, they say she has to stay in the carrier at all times. Do you think they would let me take her out to give her the valium if she has a seizure? I wish there was someone to call about this but, again, can't find a number.

I'm going to make sure she's allowed to travel & the vet thinks it'll be fine before I take her, but I am just wondering if any of you have any experience with this kind of thing. Thanks :)

14+kitties July 14th, 2010 01:16 PM

Try phoning the number on this site. Maybe they can direct you to the right place to ask your questions. Good luck. :thumbs up


Have you discussed taking Keely with you with your vet? S/he may feel it is not advisable when her meds may not be regulated yet.

serenamlambe July 14th, 2010 01:48 PM

I tried calling that number a few times, but I haven't been able to talk to anyone. They don't have any "general enquires" line or anything. Sigh.

We still have to talk to our regular vet about it when we go back for her check up on the 21st. We have been to a couple of vets in Newfoundland before (we used to live there), as well, so we can bring her there if necessary. But certainly we are going to be considering her before we decide if she'll be coming. I think my boyfriend would decide to stay home if they feel she cannot come. We booked the tickets before she had the seizures, but I'm sure we can work something out if necessary. Her health comes first :)

free July 14th, 2010 03:07 PM

try asking a travel agent they might be able to get an answer for you.

serenamlambe July 15th, 2010 12:28 PM

Not a bad idea, free. I will try to call one :)

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.