New Puppy - Q's on Vaccinations & Deworming
I just got a new puppy (my first), and I have a ton of questions/concerns. The set of questions for this post are regarding his vaccinations and what appears to be a roundworm in his last stool.
Let me start off with the background on my dog:
- Adopted at 8 weeks from a shelter.
- Best guess (based upon his appearance and appearance of his mother), is that he's a Beagle / Daschund mix.
- Neutered and first DHLPP shot prior to adoption.
- Not sure if he was given any deworming meds.
First vet visit after adoption at 9 weeks:
- Everything checked out ok.
- Gave him a follow-up DAPP vaccination. Vet said they may do another series of 3 shots since his first one was given at such a young age.
1. Is this normal?
2. Does it matter that he started with a DHLPP and then got a DAPP?
- Did a fecal check. He just pooped prior to the Vet visit. So, the Vet had to dig inside a bit and had trouble getting a good sample. The Vet checked what he was able to get and didn't indicate any issues.
Second vet visit at 12 weeks:
- Gave him 2nd follow-up DAPP vacination. 3rd (and final) vaccination will be in another 3 weeks.
- Gave him a Bordetella vaccination (nasal).
- Gave him Nemex for deworming.
This evening (~8 hrs after Vet visit), he pooped and there appeared to be a thin, round worm in his stool measuring 2 inches in length.
1. Could the Nemex have started killing off worms inside him that quickly?
2. What else should I be doing to help him with this worm issue? I'm planning to take him to the vet in a week and try to get a fresh stool sample.
Thanks everyone for any comments/tips!
Hi lightsped! I'm not sure of the answer to your vaccination questions, but in regards to the deworming - it worked very quickly on my puppy, Connor, as well! He had really bad roundworms when I got him, but about 6 hours after I took him to the vet, they were on their way out. So I don't think you have anything to worry about there :) For him, the deworming medication worked it's magic and he was back to normal within two days. I didn't need to do anything else, except give him lots of kisses and hugs to help him get through it! Hahaha.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.