Pet forum for dogs cats and humans -

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - (
-   Photography tips - photography gear (
-   -   Photo editing program (

angeldogs July 4th, 2008 11:38 PM

Photo editing program
Can anyone recommend a good free editing program.i had someone tell me about Gimp but he has never tried it.

SolaMio July 5th, 2008 08:29 AM

Angeldogs, I like picnik- [url][/url]
I don't know if you can tell in my avatar, but there are really fun effects you can use to make your picture look 60s/70s-ish (photos with rounded corners, sort of kodachrome looking, faded, etc.)
It's pretty straightforward and there's quite a lot you can do with the effects, captions and cropping etc.
Word of warning-- once you start with the fun stuff you can't stop :laughing: :thumbs up

angeldogs July 5th, 2008 10:11 AM

Thanks add it to my favorites file.we check it out.

marko July 5th, 2008 10:36 AM

Gimp is quite a powerful free program and does many of the same things photoshop does - it is highly recommended. Like any other program that is powerful, there is a learning curve but it's not too huge and there are tutorials and manuals to help.

I am just a rookie with Gimp but if members can't figure something out I can always try to help (Just PM me)....and MANY people use Gimp so you can also Google what you are after.

Here's the manual

Here's some tutorials

The other much simpler and more basic program that I recommend is located at [URL=""][/URL]

Hope that helps,

angeldogs July 5th, 2008 10:41 AM

Thanks Marko.
I down loaded the infranview for resizing pics.i will have to bring it up again a check it out some more.

JM4611 November 17th, 2008 11:47 AM

[QUOTE=angeldogs;618019]Can anyone recommend a good free editing program.i had someone tell me about Gimp but he has never tried it.[/QUOTE]

I've been using Irfanview for simple stuff ever since it came out. It's a really good program, it's free
and it's simple to use.

For more complicated work, I use Photoshop, and will probably spend my next three lives figuring it out.

angeldogs November 17th, 2008 05:01 PM

I've been using Infranview since Marco mentioned it in his post.

pqpine413 January 9th, 2010 06:32 PM

If you have a pro flickr account, picnik is built into flickr to do some light adjustments similar to what lightroom/aperture offers. But if you're looking more for a photoshop solution with more intensive editting, like the other posters have mentioned, GIMP is the way to go

breeze January 9th, 2010 06:46 PM

you can also use PhotoFiltre. ( not sure if this is what your looking for) it is about half way down the page.

Marcha January 10th, 2010 02:19 AM

Google's Picasa is a wonderful free program for photos. I have PaintShopPro and PhotoShop, but I use Picasa more and more for regular things like resizing, cropping, adjusting colours and such. Picasa also allows me to very quickly make collages, upload to a picasa web album with good privacy settings, and so forth. I can automatically upload photos from Picasa to Facebook and Blogger too.