Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Homeless at 13 (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50812)

badger March 25th, 2008 09:27 AM

Homeless at 13

My vet's office just called. An elderly client died last week, leaving behind a 13-year old cat. The nephew brought him in to be euthanized. He is declawed and of course neutered and has [I]no[/I] health issues. Since he has lived all his life with this one person, he is naturally quite fearful but is already beginning to warm up to the staff at the clinic. So I think this guy could have a beautiful second life, if someone would just give him a chance.

I know this is a pointless exercise, but I said I would do my best. I'll have a picture later.

Jim Hall March 25th, 2008 09:38 AM

it is cetainly not pointless you dont know until you try right?:thumbs up

cpietra16 March 25th, 2008 09:49 AM

13 is not old and this is not pointless....Don't give up...there are people out there that want an older cat...

SARAH March 25th, 2008 09:55 AM

13? There are cats who live to be 26. He's barely middle aged poor pussycat! Surely someone will prefer not to have to put up with litterbox training and kitten antics :rolleyes: although they are cute, they can be destructive as well. :D :fingerscr for this little guy.

poodletalk March 25th, 2008 10:00 AM

My Aunt adopted her cat when she was 12! Muffin looks and acts like a kitten, no one would ever believe her age.

SARAH March 25th, 2008 10:03 AM

Poodletalk, I just noticed your [B]Club Soda NOT seals! [/B] :thumbs up :thumbs up

poodletalk March 25th, 2008 10:36 AM

:offtopic: Thanks Sarah, I went to the seal hunt protest two weeks ago on St.Catherine Street and Mcgill. (Some people went partically nude, (NOT me though) : You have to show some flesh to save some flesh. I have a seal hunt protest on another thread, which you can respond too if your interested. [url]http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50492[/url]

[B]Back to the topic: I really hope the 13 year old cat gets adopted soon. How long is the vet willing to keep her[/B]

badger March 25th, 2008 10:48 AM

It's a male. Looks like he's OK until Friday (unless the nephew insists on them going ahead, which happens [I]quite[/I] often) and I'm hoping the weekend as well. There are also a couple of technicians who take animals home for the weekend, in a pinch.
The clinic really does try to avoid putting down healthy animals but I think they probably fail more often than they succeed :( and then there are the legalities. Some people are not interested in seeing their animal re-homed, they just want it done.

Frenchy March 25th, 2008 11:05 AM

omg :sad:

:pray: that someone adopts him :fingerscr

SARAH March 25th, 2008 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=badger;568546]Some people are not interested in seeing their animal re-homed, they just want it done.[/QUOTE]

But it's not even his animal to begin with :yell: poor little kitty, inocent little being who lost his mommy and might have to pay that loss with his own life? We're not in ancient Egypt where people were burried with their mumified cats!!

badger March 25th, 2008 11:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So here is Mousse, plus a note from the clinic -
[QUOTE]The owner passed away last week (nice little old lady) - her nephew came to get the cat put down since he did not have time to take care of the cat since he is the one taking care of his aunt...but he was nice enough to give us until Friday to find a home for Mousse.
Mousse has some character (hisses and slaps us with his paws, although does [I]not[/I] bite) but he is slowly getting used to the staff. He is sterilised and is 13 years old. Has a [I]slight[/I] heart murmur and had a small lower urinary tract infection which was treated with antibiotics.
[/QUOTE]

growler~GateKeeper March 26th, 2008 12:25 AM

:fingerscr :goodvibes: for Mousse :lovestruck:

Someone please save this sweet kitty :pray: :goodvibes:

clm March 26th, 2008 05:56 AM

Poor kitty, must be so confused and scared after everything he's known for the past 13 years has just been ripped away from him. I hope someone gives this pretty cat a loving home for the rest of his life.

Cindy

catsnatcher-CDN March 26th, 2008 06:31 AM

poor kitty!

Too bad the son doesn't know that it takes almost no effort to care for a cat.

SARAH March 26th, 2008 08:19 AM

Hey, so he slaps and hisses, I think anyone would after being torn from a home they've known for 13 years and losing the one person who really cared! Give the poor little guy a break :frustrated:

:goodvibes: and :fingerscr for Mousse!

14+kitties March 26th, 2008 08:53 AM

:pray: :fingerscr:goodvibes: and whatever else it takes to get this boy a home. So very sad.

poodletalk March 26th, 2008 12:54 PM

I sent out an email to my contacts, hopefully someone will come through. :fingerscr

badger March 26th, 2008 05:05 PM

Thanks Poodletalk. I've been thinking about Mousse all day. I'm anxious that the nephew will push to have him put down at the end of the week. This happened once before and the vets somehow felt obligated and went ahead. I remember saying at the time, to the guy who is my 'contact' there - why didn't you just lie and say he had been re-homed?
If we could just get Mousse off the premises, then no-one has to lie and he gets a chance at a new life.
:fingerscr:fingerscr:fingerscr

badger March 26th, 2008 09:46 PM

bump bump
Sorry, can't get this guy off my mind. He only has two more days :sad:.

catsnatcher-CDN March 27th, 2008 06:50 AM

I'll spread the word.:sad:

poodletalk March 27th, 2008 07:26 AM

I didn't get any replies, I have some "facebook" people that I am going to send this too. :fingerscr

Can you PM me your phone number just incase I get any replies, so people can contact you and you can contact your contact.

The vet is located in the Plateau right?

chico2 March 27th, 2008 07:37 AM

OMG,could the vet not just have the nephew sign over the ownership of the cat??
Then a rescue might be able to step in:confused:or a foster,anything but euthanazia.
If my sons would do that to any of my cats,I would haunt them forever:evil:
:pray:for Mousse and a kitty:angel2:

badger March 27th, 2008 11:13 AM

I am shameless, when it comes to Mousse.

poodletalk March 27th, 2008 11:25 AM

No replies yet:sad:

catsnatcher-CDN March 27th, 2008 01:39 PM

nothing from here either...yet

badger March 27th, 2008 02:41 PM

I just spoke to the vet's office. No progress there. Tomorrow is definitely his last day, according to the woman who answered the phone. They are open until 8 tonight. God knows when it will happen tomorrow, whenever it's convenient for the vets, I guess.
If someone with a spare room would agree to foster him, we could get busy and find him a permanent home. I am happy to help with this, put up posters, etc.
But time is against us :sad:.

:pray::pray::pray:

poodletalk March 27th, 2008 03:02 PM

I may have someone to foster him/her but I won't know till 5pm. If the lady can't foster him/her, someone else offered to pay for his boarding at another vet clinic.

I have to work tomorrow...the ladies don't drive...how is the cat going to get from point A to point B.

Point B is about 20 minute car drive away

14+kitties March 27th, 2008 03:07 PM

Gawd this thread is so bloody heartbreaking. I only wish I was closer. I told hubby. He, of course, said no, you have enough.I don't really care. I could tell him it was a stray. :rolleyes: But it breaks my heart every time I read this. :sad:
Poodletalk - I hope one of your ladies comes through. :pray:
badger - :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: ty for caring. I can't begin to imagine how you feel. I guess this is one of those times when your mantra is repeated non stop.
PLEASE someone take him in!!!

badger March 27th, 2008 03:10 PM

Don't worry about the transport, I'll figure it out. I'll walk there if necessary. 20 minutes from where? it doesn't take much to confuse me :laughing:
Can I be a little hopeful here?

:fingerscr

poodletalk March 27th, 2008 03:11 PM

From where he is now to Westmount.

I was in a meeting when the lady called, to tell me she would be willing to pay for his boarding. I just called her back and got her voicemail. :wall: