Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dog leaking Urine? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43210)

shaz moores August 2nd, 2007 03:28 PM

Dog leaking Urine?

My dog is leaking- I dont know if its urine, she seems to leak for a few days each month and she has been nuerted by the vet when she was 6 months old. She constantly trys to clean herself in this area when it is happening.

Shaz

SableCollie August 2nd, 2007 03:54 PM

You should take her to a vet for a check-up, she could have a urinary tract infection or other health problem. There is also a condition called spay incontinence that sometimes happens in spayed female dogs. It's pretty easily treated with hormone pills.

So your first step should be to head to the vet for a diagnoses! :)

shaz moores August 2nd, 2007 04:32 PM

Thanks For the advice, I have taken her to the vet twice and both times he has given me antibiotics for her, I spoke on phone today with vet and he said to cut down on her water intake for a few weeks to see if it makes any difference incase it might be a bladder problem. I told him it was only a few days a month this was happening? He said to try it anyway.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.
Shaz

mummummum August 2nd, 2007 06:09 PM

Well...."cutting down on water" isn't solid advice. Sometimes a second opinion is helpful. I would, as Sablecoliie has suggested, test for a UTI and ask spay incontinence along with having a look at her vulva.

Dr Lee August 2nd, 2007 07:18 PM

Some urine testing would be a very good idea. Water deprivation/reduction does not address the underlying problem and in some instance be unsafe. Urinalysis, culture and possible radiographs (X-rays) would be helpful. The reason for the tests is that incontinence can be from three general categories of causes for leaking urine: 1) increased urine production of which there are approximately 12 different causes, 2) bladder inflammation of which there are approximately 4-5 causes the most common being bladder infection and urinary crystals and 3) primary incontinence. All of these have different treatments and prognosis. Thus antibiotic courses and cutting down on water is probably not the best approach at this point. Perhaps a second opinion would be helpful.

Good luck:pawprint:

shaz moores August 3rd, 2007 04:17 PM

Thanks for your advice

Thanks again for the advice, I have another vet near by and will take her to him for a 2nd opinion. Your advice about the spay uncontinence sounds more like the problem as this only happens about every 4 -5 weeks and lasts for about 3-4 days.

Cheers Shaz:thumbs up

shaz moores September 11th, 2007 02:17 PM

dog now peeing instead of leaking every 3-4 weeks

Hi my dog was leaking approx every month for about 4 days in a row then it would stop. The vet tried 2 different antibiotics didn't help. Took her to another vet and he put her on medicine called Propalin syrup which 0.7mls is put in her food 3 times aday. She has been on this medicine for a week now but she seems to be lossing control of her bladder now and peeing in the house, she even urinated in a bed she would normally sleep on. This medicine seems to have made matters worse as before she only leaked every month. I told the vet what was happening and he said to perservere with the medicine for 6 weeks? What do you think.

Thanks shaz