Pet forum for dogs cats and humans -

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - (
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (
-   -   dog and human medications - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden (

cs1292 December 15th, 2003 10:04 AM

dog and human medications?
I have heard that animals can take some human medications, I have even heard vets on radio say that dogs can take aspirin and benadryl. is there any human medication that a dog can take for sneezing, coughing? anything that can help the symptoms of nasal congestion.

thank you
dion saenz, rn:confused:

Luba December 15th, 2003 02:32 PM

That depends on what the cause of the sneezing and coughing is..allergy/kennel cough/other..??

What does your vet say?

Bueller's Mommy December 16th, 2003 10:20 AM

You should definitely ask your vet before giving your pet any 'human' medications. I seem to remember my vet saying that dogs cannot have aspirin. I do know, however, that a child's dose of Pepto Bismol works wonders for sick doggy bellies!:)

mona_b December 16th, 2003 11:23 AM

As Luba said.What did your vet say?It is the vet who will tell you what you can or cannot give.As for the aspirin,yes dogs can have it.BUT only as advised by a vet.One of my Shepherds I used to have was on aspirin for his arthritis in his hips.It's cats that can't have aspirin.It could kill them.

petdr January 7th, 2004 09:00 AM

I will frequently suggest using a combination of an antihistamine/decongestant and occasionally an intranasal spray for those patients that are cooperative in order to treat minor upper respiratory symptoms for no longer than seventy-two hours.

There are many over the counter preparations that would work well; speak with your veterinarian about those medications,that are appropriate for your pet.

More serious conditions that are of longer duration and greater severity need a firm diagnosis to treat intelligently and effectively.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124