Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Important Pond Information (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18221)

meimei August 9th, 2005 08:38 AM

Important Pond Information
 
This Summer we installed a "water-feature", like many of you.
I thought I would share this important information to all of you who have ponds and dogs.


Subject: Algae in Ponds Kills Dogs

I am posting this as a warning to all dog owners.
Do not run your dogs near stagnant ponds with Algae

Yesterday morning I lost my daughters Irish Setter to Toxic Algae.

It happened within an hour of an exercise run after which I was
careful to cool the dogs down.
Ena, a 1.5-year Red setter had jumped in a nearby pond, about 3
acres, to cool and drink after a short 10-minute workout.
My IRWS did the same but did not drink much.

I found her dead in a pool of green less puke than an hour later.

I researched the cause, tested the water and compared the Algae
types to the research and found toxic algae to be the cause.

The weather here in St. Louis has been 95+ degrees with no wind
for
several weeks now. Perfect conditions for an Algae bloom in a
standing pond or small lake

Here are but a few links on the subject

<http://www.dnr.state.md.us/bay/hab/anabaena.html>[url]http://www.dnr.state.md.us/bay/hab/anabaena.html[/url]

[url]http://www-cyanosite.bio.purdue.edu/images/images.html[/url]

Feel free to do several searches and cross post. I am gathering
and
organizing more on this and will post as I can.

BMDLuver August 9th, 2005 09:21 AM

That's so very sad. Good information to pass along! Thanks.

doggy lover August 9th, 2005 10:32 AM

thanks for the info, my dog is always drinking from our pond but we have never had algae bloom on it before. But I will keep my eye out now that I know that it can kill.

melanie August 9th, 2005 04:57 PM

blue gree algae contains cyano bacteria that is harmful to all animals and humans, can cause death... its found in stagnant or nutrient rich waters, that is water with far to many nutrients, (nutrification).

the best way to recognise blue green algaes is by smell, they oftne have a nasty stagnant type of smell asnd of course the greenish algae on top...

if you see any algae in your pool, pond, river or creeks do not enter and notify your authorities immeadiatly, areas that suffer this algaes will oftne have permanant signs for waring s present. it is really important to notify someone if it in a natural water way, it can kill off the natives and such too, or ppl swimming dogs down stream etc.......

we have drought after drought here so it is a big problem for us, even if the levels are not high enough to kill they can make you and pups very sick indeed. try searchingaussie sites as we are very aware of this prob and deal with it constantly, so it may be a good resource for accurate info...

im sorry you ahd to experience this,. but dont blame yourself, many environmental hazards so to speak are very poorly advertised and communicated to the public....

but i would advise lowering that nutrient level in your pond, and perhaps put in some fish as they will often feed on the algaes and reduce the problem...

again sorry but dont feel responsible, you could never have possibly known... :grouphug:

Prin August 9th, 2005 05:01 PM

So sad. Thank you so much for letting us all know!!
(Those links are great. I love those cell movies. ;) )


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.