Pet forum for dogs cats and humans -

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - (
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (
-   -   Help please (

Meg May 21st, 2003 02:31 PM

Help please

I recently almost 6 weeks now lost my 6 year old dog to liver cancer.
I was so upset that a week later I decided I needed another pet. I am disable due to arthritis and not up to training another puppy so decided on a cat. I actually watned two kittens to keep each other company.
A friend had a 7 months old kitten that she wanted to find a home for as her 5 year old cat didnt like her and fought with her constanly.
So I took her in, she is a beatiful looking kitten and very healthy. Well a week ago today she called me to ask if she was missing because her husband came homefrom work and saw another cat in teh driveway that looked just like her.
She looked her over and noticed the resemblance but knew it wasnt her but knwe that I had wanted two.
I told her i woudl come and look at her and if she was healthy i would bring her home
Well she had mucus in her nose and was sneezing, that bothered me. My hubby told me i could have as many as i wanted butthey had tobe healthy.
And ofcourse i didnt want my first one to get sick.
Her son does coop at the vets so i asked if he coudl take her the next day and have her checked out and all was well i woudl take her.
the next afternoon he drops her off with a bottle of meds for her cat cold.
Well, all she has is sneezinb and mucous that she does sneeze out. I do hear a noise in her breathign sometimes.
I have looked up URI and catcolds and they both emntion runny eyes and coughs and she has neither of these.
Does this sound more liek an allergy?
As soon as she is doen her med I plan on taking her for shots . Then when its time for her second shot i will have her spayed.
The two cats are having a great tiem together the firs two days my first one was abit jealous but after getting just as much or more attention she came around quickly.
I hpe someone can give me some ideas about her nose problems.

mcjd May 21st, 2003 07:19 PM

Meg, I just read this post .
My cat Rue just had what sounded like congested breathing and nothing else.
When I first took her to the vet, he gave her ammoxicillin (sp?) and she started to sound better after about a week.
When the meds were finished, she was back to sounding congested after about 2 days.
I took her back in and the vet gave a stonger antibiotic. She was on that one for 3 rounds in a row, with her being checked each time just before the round of antibiotics were finished.

With an upper respiratory infection from what I understand, they can have several different symptoms and it is hard to find just the right antibiotic to treat it. it is also a stubborn virus.
Once treated , this virus has a tendency to go dormant in the cat's body and will return if the cat is highly stressed.

I am not a vet, so I may be wrong by saying this, but I would wait to have her spayed till she is totally over this thing and has had a chance to regain her strenght.
This would be something that I would discuss with my vet, just to make sure she can handle the operation as it is major surgery.
IF you decide to wait till she 's stronger, just make sure she doesn't end up pregnant !

Btw, my little Rue is fine now (finally!), she is a bundle of energy, and very loving and talkative,lol.
A few days after she finished her final antibiotics she started growing like a weed .

Meg May 22nd, 2003 05:23 PM

Thanks MCJD
Thanks MCJD I really appreciate your advice.
I plan on keeping my kittys housecats so as long as they dont get out by accident she shouldnt get pregnant. You are right about that too, her strength even though she doesnt seem weak she seems to have alot of engery. But I am sure the vet will advised once i ask him/her we have several at our hospital here. Her appointment is tomorrow morning at 9:10 for a thorough recheck and maybe shots and deworming. I guess it depends on how they find her. It is a week today she showed up on my friends doorstep and a week tomorrow since I have had her. To be honest I first did think she may be pregnant because her belly is quite round but her tits are normal. I just cant understand why someone would drop her off unless its because of the URI. I am going to ask about worms tomorrow as well. I know they checked her out last friday but i wasnt there to hear everything. I was told everything was fine though. I just need to make sure with ME there. I want my new baby to be healthy so she is happy. Actually the two of them are having a great time. I think after reading alot of stuff online that I lucked out that the two are getting along so well. But I did make sure each had their own food dishes and litterbox and a bed in a different room so they have their own space etc. Its just I brought Nutmeg in to Buffys house with no warning. Thanks again.:)

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.