Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Frequent vomiting - vet appt made. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=79211)

Stacer October 29th, 2011 03:03 PM

Frequent vomiting - vet appt made.

This past week has seen Angus vomiting quite a bit. At first I thought it was just random hairball vomiting, but he's done it 3 times in the last 24 hours, for a total of 5 or 6 vomiting episodes this past week.

Yes, we are going to the vet. I just wondered if anyone had any insight into frequent vomiting in the meantime.

He seems to do it a few hours after eating, there's usually undigested food in the vomit. One of the times he did it almost immediately after eating, the entire contents of his tummy came back up.

We have recently completely cut out dry food. We were giving it as an overnight snack so they wouldn't wake us, and it usually lasted throughout the day as light nibbling between actual meals of wet food. So now we've increased the amount of wet food we're feeding.

We feed Wellness CORE, could it be too rich for him to have more than he's used to per day?

Otherwise, he seems totally fine, he still seems to have an appetite when we put food down and he's doing his business normally.

Winston October 29th, 2011 03:44 PM

Hi Stacer it sounds like he has an upset tummy? I imagine it can be too rich for them. Maybe try a different protein? Good Luck at the vet! :thumbs up

chico2 October 29th, 2011 04:41 PM

Stacer,the same thing happened to both Chico and Vinnie after Wellness Core,it might be too rich for some cats.
Mine are still eating Wellness grain/free but the regular cans,with no problems.
Good luck at the vet!

Stacer October 29th, 2011 07:21 PM

But they've been eating the Core for a few years, so I'm reluctant to believe that could be it. Finn seems to be fine on the increase in canned food.

I get paranoid that it's something serious because nothing has really changed in terms of types of food or things in the house that he could have gotten into. We keep a toxin free home... These animals keep my stress levels high, lol.

Dog Dancer October 31st, 2011 11:05 AM

HI Stacer, even though the cats have been on Wellness for some time, you said you did increase the volume of canned food. I agree that could be the issue. Sometimes a bit of something doesn't upset their tummies, but a lot of it causes issues. Halo is allergic to chicken and a bit is okay, but too much and she gets all rashy. Could be the same idea. Good luck.

DougG November 4th, 2011 06:36 PM

Just my two cents - a few years ago our Silky (female Himalayan) started vomiting fairly frequently. I thought it was fur balls or something but I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed with a UTI. Took nearly six months to cure. Poor girl, that was such a tough time. She's been just fine ever since though. :thumbs up

Hazmat November 5th, 2011 10:05 AM

One of mine was a frequent puker. She was like that for the first 7 years that I had her. She would puke up seemingly raw food almost every day. Often she would re-eat the puke if I wasn't fast aout cleaning it up. I had given up trying to figure it out since she maintained her weight.

About a year ago I discovered that she was drinking water from the downstairs toilet. I started making sure the toilet lid was always closed and about 2 months later she stopped her puking. That, along with frequent brushings, stopped her puking.

Now she is getting fat. I have 4 cats and it is always something :)

hazelrunpack November 5th, 2011 11:58 AM

Stacer, how did the vet visit go?