Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Puppy health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Treating Parvo Puppy (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=75962)

H.P. March 22nd, 2011 11:10 AM

Treating Parvo Puppy

I have a foster puppy, 2-3 month old that I am treating for Parvo, [B]I am working with a vet.[/B] On day 6 he started to be able to keep down some Pedialite, today, day 7, I have started giving him tiny amounts of chicken baby food also (as the vet recommended). He is still throwing up, about every 6 hours, despite Famotidine injections twice daily. He is also on antibiotic injections and sub Q fluids. My question is if anybody has additional suggestions on how to help with the nausea, supplements, homeopathic, nutritional suggestions, etc. We are also having trouble keeping his blood sugar up, due to the sub Q fluids, and using nutri-cal gel for that. My vet is open to ideas, but not well educated in alternative treatments.

Thanks!
Holly

BenMax March 22nd, 2011 11:18 AM

Parvo is terrible. So sorry the little one is going through this...and you as well of course.
I cannot add to your thread as I have never personally dealt with treating parvo (knock on wood).
Hopefully someone can help you with suggestions.
I just wanted to acknowledge your thread and I wish you the very best. Hang in there.:grouphug:

kathryn March 22nd, 2011 11:28 AM

Sorry to say that as much as I think that natural/homeopathic remedies are quite useful for many things, Parvo is not going to be one of them. I have seen a few dogs and puppies die from parvo and it is not pretty. It doesn't happen very often where I live because there are many low cost/free vaccine clinics in the area, but every so often a dog/puppy(s) will come into a shelter with it.

Sounds like you are doing everything you can. A/D canned food works very good for stuff like this, as gross as it is. My foster kitten I have now was in pretty bad shape when I got her and I just did SubQ fluids (lactated ringers), Nutrical, force fed A/D and baby food, Doxy, Clavamox and Cefa-Drops, Terramycin for her eyes and sores.. I've had her since the 5th and she is doing fine now.

Parvo is hard to beat.. I don't know of many pups that have survived it even with hospitalization. Good luck

H.P. March 22nd, 2011 12:07 PM

Thanks, I will try the A/D food, if I can find it locally. I was just hoping that there might be something along the homeopathic line that would help him with the nausea.

The vet said that the strain of Parvo that they are seeing here right now is a mild strain, and that most dogs do not require hospitalization, that really their chance of recovery at home was about the same as if hospitalized.

Now that he is keeping stuff down as long as he is, I have some hope that he will pull through:shrug: It seems to me he should be getting some nutrients from what he is taking orally, if it stays down 6-8 hours or so.

mikischo March 22nd, 2011 12:16 PM

The A/D is a prescription food made by Hill's and your vet will likely have it in supply. I am not fond of most of the veterinarian prescription foods but this product is an exception and is specially formulated for animals that are convalescing.

Sending :goodvibes::goodvibes: that your puppy has a complete and speedy recovery.

SamIam March 22nd, 2011 12:42 PM

Peppermint or peppermint tea can help with nausea. If giving tea, he may or may not take to it; if not, you can tip his head back, give the tea into the corner of the mouth, slowly, using a syringe, and he will swallow it. You can give oral electrolytes such as Pedialyte the same way to help with hydration. Nutri-cal is a good way to combat hypoglycemia and stimulate the appetite as well. However, as far as I know sub-Q fluids do not actually cause hypoglycemia, but it would be fighting the illness that takes a lot of energy, and the inability to digest his food properly to absorb the calories. Your vet can help you out with the right amounts for your puppy's size and condition.

a/d is a veterinary prescription diet from Hills. Your vet will carry a/d or a similar convalescence formula. They are wet canned foods, which could help with hydration, and have a very fine/pasty texture to make digestion easier. You might want to talk to your vet about which one is best, as you can get what you need from another clinic, too. One advantage of a/d over some of the others is it is very bland and that might be better in the case of nausea.

hazelrunpack March 22nd, 2011 01:03 PM

Poor little tyke. :grouphug: No experience with parvo so no advice to give, Holly, but I did want to wish you best of luck with this little soul! :goodvibes: Bless you for fostering him in his time of need!

sugarcatmom March 22nd, 2011 01:58 PM

Ask your vet about Vit B12 (cobalamin) injections, which can sometimes be helpful in cases of extreme GI distress. Here's a link from Texas A&M University: [url]http://vetmed.tamu.edu/gilab/research/cobalamin-information[/url]

Also, maybe the pup needs a dextrose solution in the subQ fluids? How are the rest of his electrolyte levels?

SamIam March 22nd, 2011 02:51 PM

[QUOTE=sugarcatmom;995392]Also, maybe the pup needs a dextrose solution in the subQ fluids? How are the rest of his electrolyte levels?[/QUOTE]

I don't think dextrose works well subcutaneously, it is usually just in intravenous solutions. But on that note, maybe IV fluids would be a good idea for this little guy?

Longblades March 22nd, 2011 03:15 PM

I'm glad to hear it's a mild strain. My first thought was, why isn't he at the Vet's? My girl had it at 6 months, so older and fully vaccinated, but it was a bad strain and she was at the Vet's for 5 days and on IV for three and a half. We nearly lost her. Sorry I can't offer any help but it is interesting you can handle this at home. I agree at home is best if at all possible. Good wishes.

Melinda March 22nd, 2011 03:16 PM

when our beagle pup had parvo she was hospitalized for 2 weeks and fed/medicated intravenously (sp?), after the 4rth day a "helper" was hired to feed her one teaspoon of food and water on the hour every hour. once home she had to be given a teaspoon of pepto bismal before each meal, that went on for a good month, it was to prevent nausea. she lived to the ripe age of 14 1/2. I wish you well with your pup

mummummum March 22nd, 2011 03:19 PM

Excellent link Sugarcatmom.

I'm taking it that you have tried bismuth and it was unsuccessful. Have you tried slippery elm for nausea and general gut-health You can buy it at a health food store. This may not be the best link but it will give you an idea.

[url]http://www.motherearthherbs.com/elm.html[/url]

Rgeurts March 22nd, 2011 03:40 PM

I haven't had to deal with parvo, fortunately, but one of my pups has had numerous issues with gi upset/vomiting/diarrhea etc. We see both western and holistic vets. The holisitic vet suggested ginger root tea. You boil the raw root for a few minutes, let it cool and give a teaspoon every 15 minutes for an hour. If he needs more, you can give it every 15 for minutes for a couple of hours. It did help ours with the nausea. Another thing they had us use is Sulcrate suspension. You give it at least one hour prior to eating or taking any medication (and at least one hour after medication). It coats the stomach and was sometimes the only way we could get him to eat. I don't know if that can be given with the parvo, but maybe ask your vet.

Good luck to you and the little one! :grouphug:

kathryn March 22nd, 2011 03:41 PM

Hi Robyn *wave*

I also forgot to mention I used Geneflora in my kittens A/D for a while. It helped alot with the runny poo!

Rgeurts March 22nd, 2011 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=kathryn;995479]Hi Robyn *wave*

I also forgot to mention I used Geneflora in my kittens A/D for a while. It helped alot with the runny poo![/QUOTE]

Hi Kathryn!! :D
Is geneflora similar to fortiflora?

Both of ours get that as well!

mummummum March 22nd, 2011 03:45 PM

That sounds familiar I think I used the sulcrate with Declan when he was so sick and it was that or hospital. It worked quite well and quickly too as I recall. The only thing I find with ginger ~ I love it ~ but Ceili, my grrrl with the gut issues, won't go near it. The smell is unusual I'm guessing. I used to cook with minced ginger when I was making their food all the time and she was okay with it ~ just not in liquid form. Good suggestions!

kathryn March 22nd, 2011 03:47 PM

[QUOTE=Rgeurts;995480]Hi Kathryn!! :D
Is geneflora similar to fortiflora?

Both of ours get that as well![/QUOTE]

I think so. The breeder that rescued my naked foster kitten had suggested that, but I already had geneflora on hand.
[url]http://www.amazon.com/Cycles-Life-Geneflora-Pets/dp/B000NVBZ5K[/url]

It made a big difference with her tummy problems!

Rgeurts March 22nd, 2011 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=mummummum;995482] The only thing I find with ginger ~ I love it ~ but Ceili, my grrrl with the gut issues, won't go near it. The smell is unusual I'm guessing. [/QUOTE]

[B][I]LoL ya, Nookie wouldn't go near it willingly. We had to give it by syringe :rolleyes:[/I][/B]

[QUOTE=kathryn;995486]I think so. The breeder that rescued my naked foster kitten had suggested that, but I already had geneflora on hand.
[url]http://www.amazon.com/Cycles-Life-Geneflora-Pets/dp/B000NVBZ5K[/url]

It made a big difference with her tummy problems![/QUOTE]

I don't see where that could be harmful at all. I know it's a great immune system booster as well as having great tummy benefits. That may be beneficial with the parvo?

kathryn March 22nd, 2011 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=SamIam;995446]I don't think dextrose works well subcutaneously, it is usually just in intravenous solutions. But on that note, maybe IV fluids would be a good idea for this little guy?[/QUOTE]

You can do either for the majority of bagged fluids, unless it specifically says not to on the bag. IV is going to be more easily absorbed at a rapid rate, but it's generally not possible for most care givers to be able to do IV fluids.

Here is a bag of Normosol I have on hand with some other fluids

[IMG]http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4199/photo39z.jpg[/IMG]

The problem with some of the electrolyte solutions is the can cause nausea, so it's kind of a loose-loose thing..

mummummum March 22nd, 2011 04:23 PM

Kathryn something is tweeking in my limited brain about dextrose solutions causing infections and skin irritation happening at injection sites.

mikischo March 22nd, 2011 04:33 PM

Yes, as SamIam already mentioned, dextrose does not work well subcutaneously.

It can result in infection at the site of injection or severe skin irritation resulting in dead tissue. It would also sting.

H.P. March 22nd, 2011 05:54 PM

Things have improved greatly over the last few hours I think, he has not vomited in 6.5 hours, and he seems to have a bit of an appetite back. I am no longer forcing fluids but limiting them! I hope that we have turned a corner. Thank you all for the ideas! There is always such a wonderful fount of knowledge here!

Rgeurts--love your sig line about the sick and special needs babies! I am trying to convince my boss that I should be able to use sick days to care for this little guy!

Rgeurts March 22nd, 2011 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=H.P.;995575]Things have improved greatly over the last few hours I think, he has not vomited in 6.5 hours, and he seems to have a bit of an appetite back. I am no longer forcing fluids but limiting them! I hope that we have turned a corner. Thank you all for the ideas! There is always such a wonderful fount of knowledge here!

Rgeurts--love your sig line about the sick and special needs babies! I am trying to convince my boss that I should be able to use sick days to care for this little guy![/QUOTE]

So glad to hear things are improving for him!! Hopefully he makes a speedy and full recovery :)

And yes, we should be able to use sick days. They are, afterall, our "kids"!! My boss has been very understanding, thankfully! I'd hate to have to quit ;)

sugarcatmom March 22nd, 2011 07:18 PM

[QUOTE=SamIam;995446]I don't think dextrose works well subcutaneously, it is usually just in intravenous solutions.[/QUOTE]

[img]http://www.smileys4me.com/getsmiley.php?show=4563[/img] Thanks for pointing that out. [URL=http://www.thesmilies.com][img]http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/angry/duh.gif[/img][/URL]

hazelrunpack March 22nd, 2011 07:59 PM

Great news, H.P.!!! :fingerscr he's turned the corner now! :goodvibes:

rainbow March 22nd, 2011 10:35 PM

[B]H.P.,[/B] I just saw this thread now and glad to hear the little guy is doing well :thumbs up ...I hope he has a speedy recovery. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

mummummum March 23rd, 2011 07:43 AM

:thumbs up Good news! Keep us posted H.P.

Love4himies March 23rd, 2011 05:18 PM

Any updates today?

I hope he has continued to improve :pray: :goodvibes: :grouphug:

hazelrunpack March 23rd, 2011 07:15 PM

Sending some more :goodvibes: and looking forward to some good news :fingerscr

Marty11 March 23rd, 2011 08:31 PM

I have been following this thread lots of prayers for this puppy :pray: