Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Sick puppy - I could use some support (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=12886)

Dahlia March 7th, 2005 02:42 PM

Sick puppy - I could use some support

Okay, please don't criticize me for posting this here, I HAVE CALLED THE VET and am taking her in in 2 hrs. That's the soonest I could get.

My 8 wk old beagle puppy has blood in her stools and diarrhea. She had a vet appt for tomorrow for her puppy shots but I called this morning and talked them into seeing her today. She's still eating and drinking fine, but she's also napping alot. She is feeling well enough to follow me around and bounce around the back yard when I take her out. She is even able to climb the back steps which are taller than she is, and today is the first time she's done that. Any ideas what it could be? Worms maybe? I hope it's nothing too serious. I have already bagged up a stool sample to take to the vet's. I have had puppies with parvo before but she's not acting like they did. She's not vomiting or hacking, just the diarrhea with blood. But that's enough that I'm worried SICK!

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. :(

mesaana March 7th, 2005 02:46 PM

You are doing the right thing. Young puppies can get dehydrated very, very fast. Please let us know how the visit goes.

Lyne

BMDLuver March 7th, 2005 03:53 PM

awww

Sorry your little one is not feeling up to snuff! Please let us know how the vet visit goes.

twinmommy March 7th, 2005 04:21 PM

Your doing the right thing, a good furbaby mom!! ;)

Just a word, this might make you feel better...it can be very alarming to see bright red blood in the stools, but this usually means the blood came from closer to the outside and not as serious as for example black stools.

He probably got into something, and it's irritating him on the "way out".

Please let us know how he is...and how YOU are!! (It's soo stressful,no?) :love:

Sneaky2006 March 7th, 2005 04:24 PM

I'm sure she'll be fine. You're doing the right thing and going to the vet right away so they should be able to make her all better :)
Couldn't blood in the stool be from worms??

Karin March 7th, 2005 07:12 PM

At 8 weeks of age your puppy should have been dewormed at least twice by now. You stated you have had puppies with parvo before, has this been within the last year or so?
Not all parvo symptoms are the same in each dog, the strain has mutated many times over the years.Could even be a case of coccidiosis too.
Fingers crossed, keep us posted.

Dahlia March 7th, 2005 08:19 PM

Hi, thanks for your concern. They didn't find anything in her stool, but they dewormed her anyway. The vet said the stool looked very suspicious and he was worried about coccidia, so he put her on Albon. She has to take it for the next 3 wks and he said her stool should start clearing up in a few days, if not to call him. He also said to watch and make sure she's eating plenty, if she's not eating enough to come in and get some Nutrical. Right now she's eating okay, so I hope she just gets better.

He said she should be fine, so I feel better. She also had earmites and he let me look at them through the microscope. We have drops for those, too.

twodogsandacat March 7th, 2005 08:24 PM

That's good news, good job for bumping the appointment.

mesaana March 7th, 2005 08:48 PM

Thanks for the news. Hopefully she will be fine with that. :)

Lyne

Karin March 7th, 2005 09:43 PM

[QUOTE=Dahlia]Hi, thanks for your concern. They didn't find anything in her stool, but they dewormed her anyway. The vet said the stool looked very suspicious and he was worried about coccidia, so he put her on Albon. She has to take it for the next 3 wks and he said her stool should start clearing up in a few days, if not to call him. He also said to watch and make sure she's eating plenty, if she's not eating enough to come in and get some Nutrical. Right now she's eating okay, so I hope she just gets better.

He said she should be fine, so I feel better. She also had earmites and he let me look at them through the microscope. We have drops for those, too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the report! Albon is great for treating coccidia and puppies like the taste also. You may detect a very foul smell when she poops, goes with the territory...uhm, forgot, all poop smells foul, nevermind.
Do not skip a dose, coccidia/coccidiosis in puppies can be very dangerous. This organism is known to wipe out entire kitten and puppy populations at pet stores.

Once she starts on a monthly heartworm preventative program her earmite problem will disappear too.

Keep the updates coming!

Lucky Rescue March 7th, 2005 09:46 PM

Ear mites? Does your uncle know he should have his dogs treated? These can be very serious if left untreated.

Dahlia March 7th, 2005 10:39 PM

I did notice that her poop smelled more foul than usual today. She had an accident under the Victrola in the dining room and I could smell it but I was looking all over for it and finally found it there. I got it all cleaned up with some Nature's Miracle. That stuff really works. Anyway I used the poop I picked up there for her sample at the vet's office.

It's been raining here all day so it's making our potty training efforts more difficult. She hates to be out when the grass is wet, so she pees real quick and goes to the door. So she had that one accident in the house this morning. Poor puppy. I didn't fuss at her because I didn't catch her in the act and I know she wouldn't remember doing it. Besides, she's sick and I know she can't help it. Maybe I should start using treats for going poop outside so she'll be more interested. I have just been praising her, which she loves, but maybe she could use a little more incentive when it's raining.

Karin March 7th, 2005 11:32 PM

[QUOTE=Dahlia]I did notice that her poop smelled more foul than usual today. She had an accident under the Victrola in the dining room and I could smell it but I was looking all over for it and finally found it there. I got it all cleaned up with some Nature's Miracle. That stuff really works. Anyway I used the poop I picked up there for her sample at the vet's office.

It's been raining here all day so it's making our potty training efforts more difficult. She hates to be out when the grass is wet, so she pees real quick and goes to the door. So she had that one accident in the house this morning. Poor puppy. I didn't fuss at her because I didn't catch her in the act and I know she wouldn't remember doing it. Besides, she's sick and I know she can't help it. Maybe I should start using treats for going poop outside so she'll be more interested. I have just been praising her, which she loves, but maybe she could use a little more incentive when it's raining.[/QUOTE]

You have a Victrola! OMG!

Put housebreaking on the back burner for now with a sick puppy that young. You can do a "catch-up" later and she will be a better audience when this has past. Coccidia does make the stool reek more than normal, sometimes you will notice mucous in the already foul smelling poop too. Stick to the Albon..and do not underdose! Her dose per pound of body weight is crutial.

You have a Victrola? Wow....I have always wanted one....I'm jealous!

Dahlia March 8th, 2005 07:58 AM

LOL! Karin, we do have a Victrola in our dining room. It belongs to my brother in law. He bought it at an auction, but it's been in our house ever since. I don't know if he doesn't want it or doesn't think it matches his decor or what, but that's fine with me. It still works, too!

Trust me, we won't be missing any of her meds. I don't want to lose her. I'm giving it to her exactly as the vet prescribed it. She only weighs 3 lbs, so she had to take 1.5 ml yesterday and .75 ml every day for the next 3 wks.