Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Sudden symptoms for my dog causing concern. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67278)

mdderepentigny December 11th, 2009 11:07 AM

Sudden symptoms for my dog causing concern.

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I truly appreciate any feedback that I can get, before I get a bunch of "go to the vet" responses, I assure you that I have a call to the vet and I am hoping to get her in there asap. I am just looking for some feedback, so i can get some ideas as to what i might be dealing with.

Here is the background information:
Approximate age is 10-11, hard to say as we got her from a shelter and she was assumed to be 1.5 when we got her. she is a german sheppard and beagle cross, again this is the best guess from the animal shelter.

About 2 months ago my dog had a bacteria infection, that she had cleared up with the visit from a vet and proper medication, please note this infection did not have blood in her stools.

my new symptoms that i have noticed in the last 24 hours.

- Sudden Diahrhea with bright red blood, not alot of blood, but definately enough to cause me serious concern.

- limping in her back right leg, not constantly, it is on and off.

- Loss of appetite, but she is still drinking her water.

- Depression/loss of interest to play or come when called... which is very unusual for her.

- A few days ago she had an unusual amount of gas, i didn't think much of it until these symptoms started to show.

If anybody else has experienced a similar situation, or better yet, a vet happens to read this, any information you can give me is most appreciated, i am hoping that atleast with a few ideas i might be able to try and figure out how on earth i am going to afford this.

Thanks for your time!

hazelrunpack December 11th, 2009 11:15 AM

Where are you located, mdderepentigny?

hazelrunpack December 11th, 2009 11:30 AM

Depending on where you're located, you could be dealing with a lot of possibilities. Is it possible that your dog ate something she shouldn't have? Do you live in an area with ticks? Does she have access to a natural water source that might be contaminated with giardia or leptospirosis?

We live in the country where wildlife and ticks abound and we have seen similar symptoms. Usually it turns out to be something tick-borne but giardia can cause similar symptoms.

Depending on where you live, these things might be ruled out.

Melinda December 11th, 2009 12:29 PM

could she possibly have gotten into any cooked bones? she could have one stuck somewhere

rainbow December 11th, 2009 02:14 PM

I agree there are a lot of things it could be. I hope you can get her into the vet quickly. Good luck and please keep us updated. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

.unknown. December 14th, 2009 02:00 PM

All symptoms except the intermittent limping were the symptoms my dog had when she was diagnosed with pancreatitis. But, like everyone has said, there are plenty of causes for these symptoms, so it's hard to say. Hopefully she's going to be ok!

Macomom December 14th, 2009 02:35 PM

Yes, when my Rottie had pancreatitis we had a lot of similar symptons, just noticed that now.