Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog training - dog behavior (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   off the counter?? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=3661)

Missy March 25th, 2004 08:36 PM

off the counter??

Since she is such a nut for food (or anything she can put in her mouth) Molly has this habit of standing on her hind legs and putting her paws flat on the counter and pulling herself up to reach the counter. She is tall enough now that she can actually put her paws flat on the counter.

I always keep it clear of food (well, ever since I learned my lesson when she got into some chocolate chips when baking) but I am concerned that she might one day hurt herself. I have one of those flat-tops stoves and the burners stay hot for quite a while and now she can easily place her paws fully over them. I always keep an eye on her but things can happen and I would rather be proactive and train her to stop than have her get hurt and be responsible :(

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions as to how I can get Molly to stop doing this?

Lucky Rescue March 25th, 2004 09:43 PM

I have a suggestion! Get a bunch of small mouse traps - make sure they are mouse traps only - and put them on the edges of the counter.

They won't hurt Mollie, but they are pretty sure to teach her to keep her feet off the counter.;)

Spoiled March 26th, 2004 09:36 PM

Put mack-tack (spelling?) on the counter and leave the room. Leave nature to do it's course!:D

Luba March 26th, 2004 10:11 PM

OMG OMG OMG you guys are awful

lmao

Get a spray bottle and squirt her when she gets up and shout out OFF!!

lmfho at u guys uuuu baaad !!

Lucky Rescue March 26th, 2004 10:21 PM

The advantage of the mouse traps is that you can booby trap the counter and not even be in the room when the dog gets the message!

This way, the dog will not associate the correction with you,and will think the counter is a bad place to jump up.:D

mona_b March 26th, 2004 10:51 PM

LR,my vet suggested that for Casper.He also said that the traps should be placed upside down so when they went off,it's the noise that scares the bageezes out of them.LOL

But he realized that wouldn't work for Casper cause he wouldn't hear that snaping of the trap.

Luba March 26th, 2004 11:11 PM

I was gonna say, how would Casper hear that....but maybe the motion of the snap would scare him as much? Upside down is a good idea. Poor Sadie...if the squirts and off don't work that cute little face ut oh may run away tail 'tween her legs.

amaruq March 27th, 2004 08:54 AM

I seen on good dog that he put a board and bells on it. When the dog jumped up and dumped the board a heck of a racket happened.

mona_b March 27th, 2004 09:46 AM

Luba,nothing,and I mean nothing scares Casper.He is such a handful.And stubburn..It's frustrating at times.

He has pissed off Yukon and Tron so much that they want no part of him.

How is Miss Sadie doing?Is she feeling better?How is her training going?

She is such a sweetie.

Missy March 29th, 2004 09:33 AM

OMG - mouse traps?? That is too funny! I never would have thought of that!! I've done the spray bottle thing but somehow that turned into a game for Molly.

I love the idea of the booby-trap though because you're right, she has to learn that the counter is bad all the time and not just because I am there. Especially since she thinks its fun to act up to get my attention. Sigh. Everything is a game for Little Miss Molly :p

Well, I'll see how it goes. I may also try some variations to see if I can scare her away from the counter for good. I hope it works!!

Thanks for the great ideas :)

Lucky Rescue March 29th, 2004 10:28 AM

[QUOTE]she has to learn that the counter is bad all the time and not just because I am there[/QUOTE]

Exactly my point! Often dogs (and cats too) will learn not to do something when YOU ARE THERE. But when you are absent, all bets are off.:D

This way, the counter itself is giving the correction!

Spoiled March 30th, 2004 09:56 PM

Just like Bentley and the garbage can.:rolleyes:

mona_b March 31st, 2004 10:37 AM

Casper will do it right in front of us.

I tell you guys,this is not your ordinary kitten.

woodbyter April 4th, 2004 07:58 AM

You guys are too sneeky

I rolled on the floor when I thought of one of my guys getting the BEEJEZEES snapped out of them with the exploding mouse trap trick.
I bet you guys are the same ones that stuff Ping Pong balls in your medicine cabinet when guests come just to find out who is nosey.......

Chany April 4th, 2004 11:22 AM

Ping Pong balls? Well now isn't that interesting!!!:) :) :)
Thanks for the suggestion woodbyter!!!LOL

Karin April 4th, 2004 10:01 PM

Try tin foil. Lay it out flat...dogs and cats are afraid of it, works for furniture like a couch and a special chair they are unwelcome to visit...counter tops too. Usually after a few weeks the foil can be removed..the behavior has been adjusted.