Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Yorkie Poo is not acting normal (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84377)

jpeterson02 August 2nd, 2013 07:50 AM

Yorkie Poo is not acting normal

My Yorkie Poo has been throwing up more than normal lately and biting his toenails to the point where he is destroying them. He is a picky eater when it comes to dog food so I was adding pumpkin into his food and most recently switched to chicken broth because I thought the pumpkin was causing him to puke. He loves rawhides and I am curious to know how healthy those are for dogs, especially the smaller breeds and what else maybe causing him to act the way he is acting. My parents do tend to feed the dog people food, as I constantly yell at them not to, but they obviously do not listen. I know people food is typically not good for a dog of his size, or so from what I hear from others. Help please!

Jull August 2nd, 2013 09:12 AM

What do you mean he is vomiting more than normal? :confused: what is normal?

Did he started biting his nails when you switched foods? there could be several reasons why he is doing this. I will say both the vomiting and this combined, you need to go see your vet.

as for rawhides, as far as I can tell they are no good for any dog, bully sticks are better (if you are looking for something similar) or give him actual bones to chew on (I sometimes give my little guys chicken/turkey necks and chicken feet). Not all table food is bad for a dog, it just depends what it is.

jpeterson02 August 2nd, 2013 09:48 AM

yorkie poo

He is vomiting at least 2-3 times a week and I just do not seem to believe that is normal for any dog. So, that is why I am worried. This morning he woke me up at 6am throwing up, and he threw up 5 times within a 5-10 minute time span. That worried me more than anything, but he ate his food this morning and his stools are normal as can be.

Jull August 2nd, 2013 09:56 AM

[QUOTE=jpeterson02;1060270]He is vomiting at least 2-3 times a week and I just do not seem to believe that is normal for any dog. So, that is why I am worried. This morning he woke me up at 6am throwing up, and he threw up 5 times within a 5-10 minute time span. That worried me more than anything, but he ate his food this morning and his stools are normal as can be.[/QUOTE]

That is a lot, yes, I would be taking him to the vet right away.

It is not normal for any dog to be vomiting, vomit specially this much it means something is definitely wrong.

Barkingdog August 2nd, 2013 10:18 AM

[QUOTE=Jull;1060264]What do you mean he is vomiting more than normal? :confused: what is normal?

Did he started biting his nails when you switched foods? there could be several reasons why he is doing this. I will say both the vomiting and this combined, you need to go see your vet.

as for rawhides, as far as I can tell they are no good for any dog, bully sticks are better (if you are looking for something similar) or give him actual bones to chew on (I sometimes give my little guys chicken/turkey necks and chicken feet). Not all table food is bad for a dog, it just depends what it is.[/QUOTE]

And if the rawhides is from China it's really bad for dogs. Dogs will eat grass when their stomach is upset , I wonder if that is what is happening. I agree the dog needs to be taken to the vet right away . I heard of dogs biting their paws when they're bored. To the OP where do you walk your dog , maybe he is walking in something that making his paws itchy and causing him to bite his feet and it could be a toxic plant or some kind of spray on the grass.

MaxaLisa August 4th, 2013 02:54 AM

I agree....

....the vomiting is certainly a sign that something is wrong.

I don't give rawhides at all, and they could be contributing.

If your parents are giving healthy people food, rather than that is actually very good! In fact, that is almost all I feed my dog.