Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Mean Hamster (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52730)

Crestfallen May 29th, 2008 12:16 AM

Mean Hamster

I have a hamster that is about 3 mo old, we got her from a friend of ours that had a hamster give birth. This hamster is mean though, he always bites and never wants to be held, even though we try to be aware of its cycles etc., night vs. day...

are hamster's nicer when they get older? do they get a lil more timid?

does anyone have any suggestions, or are we screwed for a mean hamster lol

thanx

man do their bites hurt!

potter May 29th, 2008 01:33 PM

I had two very mean dwarf hamsters before. I am not sure why they were that mean but however we tried to tame them, they just bite bite bite! We got them as when they were quite young and they we never quite successfully tamed them even with lots of patience. We had to wear gloves to tame them because their biting was too painful! Even to this day, I am still scared of dwarf hamsters the bitings are just too painful :p.

Lukka'sma May 29th, 2008 02:05 PM

:laughing::laughing:I always have a hamster (one right after the next) and I have never had one that likes to be held or doesn't bite every chance it got:laughing:

phoozles May 29th, 2008 02:24 PM

Not sure what you can do - we ended up having 15 hamsters (a multiplying situation), and every one of them were pretty sweet.. they didn't really bite us at all.. :shrug:

Maybe you could take him to tiny obedience training :laughing:

Crestfallen May 29th, 2008 04:26 PM

lol we are taking our puggle to obedience training, maybe we can ask if we can take the stupid hamster too. UGH -- we only took him b/c we felt badly for all the babies going back to the petstore....but man. I have scars on my fingers now :|

katherine93 May 29th, 2008 06:38 PM

My teddey bear hamster was like that when we first got her, but she eventually came around, she never really did 'love' us but she appreciated us for caring for her and loving her:) :goodvibes: She'll come around!

BTW- i do not recomend getting a animal just because you feel sorry for it, you have to remember when you get a animal it is YOUR responsibility! Just my opinion!

RodentsRus May 30th, 2008 01:53 PM

[QUOTE=Crestfallen;598821]I have a hamster that is about 3 mo old, we got her from a friend of ours that had a hamster give birth. This hamster is mean though, he always bites and never wants to be held, even though we try to be aware of its cycles etc., night vs. day...

are hamster's nicer when they get older? do they get a lil more timid?

does anyone have any suggestions, or are we screwed for a mean hamster lol

thanx

man do their bites hurt![/QUOTE]

Not saying this is your problem BUT we bought a hamster from a pet store and boy was she mean...every time we put our hand in the cage and touch her..She bite...I fingured out what it was... She is compitely deaf..If you clap your hand if front of her she doesn't react at all, not even her ears... So what we do, now is shake or hit her cage and then put then we can pick her up and she doesn;t bit anymore.. So what I would do is make noise and see if she reacts..Do her ears move? If not that's your problem

Crestfallen May 31st, 2008 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=katherine93;599139]My teddey bear hamster was like that when we first got her, but she eventually came around, she never really did 'love' us but she appreciated us for caring for her and loving her:) :goodvibes: She'll come around!

BTW- i do not recomend getting a animal just because you feel sorry for it, you have to remember when you get a animal it is YOUR responsibility! Just my opinion![/QUOTE]

I didn't ask for your opinion regarding my decision to get an animal. Thanks though.

Crestfallen May 31st, 2008 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=RodentsRus;599502]Not saying this is your problem BUT we bought a hamster from a pet store and boy was she mean...every time we put our hand in the cage and touch her..She bite...I fingured out what it was... She is compitely deaf..If you clap your hand if front of her she doesn't react at all, not even her ears... So what we do, now is shake or hit her cage and then put then we can pick her up and she doesn;t bit anymore.. So what I would do is make noise and see if she reacts..Do her ears move? If not that's your problem[/QUOTE]

I'll try that for sure! Thanks...

I guess otherwise - I just need to keep at it. I read some things, and you just need to be slow with the hamster. Try and get him accustomed to your smell etc, bribe them with love lol with food and treats, and make sure not to bug them during the day when they're sleeping!

katherine93 May 31st, 2008 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=Crestfallen;599875]I didn't ask for your opinion regarding my decision to get an animal. Thanks though.[/QUOTE]

When you post something, be prepared to hear people opinions about something you didnt ask about, weather you like the opinions or not, your gonna hear them..

Crestfallen May 31st, 2008 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=katherine93;599903]When you post something, be prepared to hear people opinions about something you didnt ask about, weather you like the opinions or not, your gonna hear them..[/QUOTE]

I'm also not going to take the advise of a 15 year old very seriously.

Thanks again though - I appreciate your dime store advise.

Tommysmom May 31st, 2008 04:06 PM

Ahhhh, fond memories... when I was young my sister bought a hamster at a pet store. They told her it was male. When it gave birth, I inherited a couple of them:laughing:. They were the nastiest little things ever!! Cute little guys, but every time my hand went near them they bit me. I still have scars on my fingers from their teeth! Not much help to you, unfortunately... but I think some of them just aren't incredibly cuddly creatures.

meg4050 May 31st, 2008 04:07 PM

[QUOTE=Crestfallen;599961]I'm also not going to take the advise of a 15 year old very seriously.

Thanks again though - I appreciate your dime store advise.[/QUOTE]

Crestfallen, I am appalled by that statement. Sure, Katherine is young but she has spent 15 years taking her time to care for a slew of animals. I think she has more knowledge on animals than probably 80% of the people on this forum, not to mention her mother works for a vet.

breeze May 31st, 2008 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=Crestfallen;599875]I didn't ask for your opinion regarding my decision to get an animal. Thanks though.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Crestfallen;599961]I'm also not going to take the advise of a 15 year old very seriously.

you asked for opinions and sugestions, last I checked it was a public forum and we were aloud to voice our opinion. If you don't like what is written ignore it but you do not have to be insluting to anyone..

Love4himies June 2nd, 2008 02:38 AM

I am stunned at these remarks! Katherine is very knowledgeable about pets, she knows more than many adults!

:grouphug: to you Katherine.

katherine93 June 2nd, 2008 03:34 AM

Thank you all.. I was pretty hurt by the remark, a little stunned too.

DoubleRR June 2nd, 2008 03:33 PM

Impatience and a quick temper. Hamsters need confident relaxed handling. I have had many, and never once has one bit me. They soon learn to step onto my hand to get out of the cage and into a more interesting area full of treats, or into the exercise ball. NILF training works for all animals.