Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog food forum (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   how fast do dogs go through food? specifically (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=25362)

maigrey March 31st, 2006 03:22 PM

how fast do dogs go through food? specifically

For prin or anyone else who would know, say I have a 45 lb dog (in this hypothetical situation he's a border collie :fingerscr) and a 33 lb bag of wolfking...how long would it take him to go through the bag?

Because $60 for a bag of dog food is pretty hefty and I think I should prepare myself.

And slightly off topic, do any of you have family members that might freak at the thought of expensive dog food? Because there's no way I'm telling my father, and possibly my friends how much it'll cost, cause I'd just get flak for it.

technodoll March 31st, 2006 03:32 PM

ok you can look at it this way.. how much would it cost to feed a child per week? say a young teenager? JUST for food, not snax, movies, allowance, toys, etc... Food is the last thing one should skimp on when adopting a dog, it is the foundation for a good long healthy life with minimal trips to the vet (and THOSE cost a pretty penny!). I'd say if your dog mid-size dog costs you $15/week on food, you're doing pretty good... that is just one cheap restaurant dinner for one adult :)

phoenix March 31st, 2006 04:32 PM

Ok, I feed Canidae... a really good food in my opinion and fairly reasonably priced... It costs me 56$ plus tax for a 40 lb bag. This lasts 3 weeks at my house. I have a 30 lb 5 month old boxer and a 80 lb 15 month old labx. When I only had one dog, the bag would last about a month and a week. Wolf King in my area costs $70 plus tax for a 33 lb bag, and I just can't justify that cost from the small difference of ingredients that I can see. Besides, Canidae is on the WDJ list of good dog foods and it works wonderfully for my pups who have no allergies or issues. The downside to canidae I guess is that it has a large variety of protein sources, so if you have an allergic dog it is hard to discover what the dog is allergic to... but I don't have that concern.
Even at that cost, my parents would freak out too if they knew what we spend on the dogs. So we just don't tell them. Growing up, my dogs all ate farm dog food... but lots of kitchen scraps hehe.
Oh, I also supplement with raw bones, raw chicken necks and backs, etc. That is pretty cheap to do as well. (5-6$/week).
Good luck with your decision and your money-saving!

Dogastrophe March 31st, 2006 05:00 PM

I feed my three Canadie (two at 45 - 50lb and one at 20lbs). A 33lb bag cost me about $56 taxes in and will last around 20 days. The two largest get 2 cups a day while the smallest gets 1 cup a day.

What you will need to do is work out the difference in cost between feeding a high quality food and a low quality food. Healthy eating aside, many of the "cheaper" foods require that you feed in larger quantities. Last time I checked, if I were to feed mine Pedigree, a 30 lbs bags costs around $22, but I would have to feed over double to each of my dogs. At the end of a month, my food costs would be roughly the same as I'm at now, but I have healthier dogs and less crap to pick up.

angie79 March 31st, 2006 05:08 PM

my guy is 25 pound his food is 30 pounds. Natures vareity (was told this is a great holistic food) its about 45$ a bag and the store i go to has a frequent buyers plan 11th bag is free.. he's still not done the bag i bought in january.

BTW any one know natures variety ?

Prin March 31st, 2006 07:01 PM

Jemma and Boo go through 33lbs in about 3-3.5 weeks. Since 45lb dogs don't eat much less than 60lb dogs, I'd guess it to be around 6-7 weeks for one bag.

maigrey March 31st, 2006 10:36 PM

Thanks a bunch guys, I was worried I'd have to shell out $66 + taxes every 2 weeks or something. Now I just want my dog...:fingerscr soon I hope

BMDLuver April 1st, 2006 07:04 AM

You are working in pounds so can't tell you that way but if you take the Kg equivalent of your bag.... 1 kg is 10 cups of food... therefore a 14kg bag of food is 140cups... thus if your dog eats 4 cups per day then it will last 35 days. Don't know if that helped or hindered. :o

Lucky Rescue April 1st, 2006 09:50 AM

A 33 lb bag of Wellness lasts my dog for 2 months and costs 65$+ tax.

She eats two cups a day. So that comes to what? Less than 10$ a week for a premium food?

The initial purchase price really is not relevant, since a dog may need 5 cups a day of cheap food and it may end up costing more!