Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   My cat does not PURR!!! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=60541)

cobykat February 5th, 2009 08:58 PM

My cat does not PURR!!!

I brought Stinky home in December. Ater a few visits to the vet to treat his diarrhea, switching him from dry Friskies to Wellness wet, he has settled in to our house beautifully. He was a stud cat and has been fixed and is turning into a real sweetheart. He doesn't like to be picked up or sit on your lap but he is sleeping in the bed and enjoys his scratches. He can be very affectionate on his terms. One thing that I have noticed is that he does not purr! Never! Is that crazy? I know that some cats don't purr, but I have never come across this in all my years of being a cat owner.:shrug: Do you think in time he will learn to purr? He's two years old. Does anyone else out there have a non-purring cat? I think it's so bizarre. I will ask my vet next time I talk to him but I'm sure it's nothing to be worried about, I'm just a bit puzzled.

Thanks!!

Jim Hall February 5th, 2009 09:12 PM

are you sure i see you have had cats and probaly realise some kits purr so soft yu can barely hear it or only feel it if you touch his neck

Dee-O-Gee February 5th, 2009 09:18 PM

Jim's right. Our cat doesn't purr very loud but when I feel her neck (under her chin), I can feel the quiver of inside purrs. :cat:

cobykat February 5th, 2009 09:36 PM

I swear there is no purr! He's been sleeping on my chest at night and I know I would be able to hear or feel it. I have 2 other cats and even Miss Grouchy Pants purrs!

I did read that some cats are unable to purr and I wonder if he suffers from this condition? :shrug: Maybe in time he will purr as he wasn't in the best of conditions when I adopted him. I have become obsessive, just listening for this little guy to purr....:eek:

cobykat February 5th, 2009 11:02 PM

He doesn't meow like a normal cat either. It's sounds just like "Ma Ma"! He's a FREAK!!:laughing:

rainbow February 6th, 2009 01:40 AM

Both of my cats were semi-ferals when I rescued them and neither of them started purring until they were around 4 years old and still don't do it all that much. :shrug:

Love4himies February 6th, 2009 08:30 AM

I had a cat when I was a teenager who never, never purred. He was 8 when he passed away. I guess you could call him semi feral as he came to live at our place (we didn't have a choice, he picked us :rolleyes:) and was an outdoor kitty to the end.

cobykat February 6th, 2009 01:38 PM

Well, Stinky was definatly NOT a feral! He is a F5 Savannah that I was lucky enough to adopt. I know that they can make some very quirky noises so maybe the non-purring is another trait. He chirps too....most of his chirping is done in the middle of the night! :frustrated: I'm going to keep my eyes on this guy, as it's always pleasant and reassuring to hear a cat purring away!
:cat:

TacoGrl February 6th, 2009 02:17 PM

[QUOTE=cobykat;744070]Well, Stinky was definatly NOT a feral! He is a F5 Savannah that I was lucky enough to adopt. I know that they can make some very quirky noises so maybe the non-purring is another trait. He chirps too....most of his chirping is done in the middle of the night! :frustrated: I'm going to keep my eyes on this guy, as it's always pleasant and reassuring to hear a cat purring away!
:cat:[/QUOTE]

Him being a "F5 Savannah" does not make him any better than a feral! Unless you did not really "mean" that the way it came out? :eek:

I have a little boy who didn't really talk much in his past life and his voice sounds a little "odd" but he does mimick his sister and it is getting "better"...as for purring, I doubt he did much of that either cuz when he let one out the other night, he jumped up and fell off the sofa! I guess he didn't quite know what the noise was and scared himself! :D

I would give him time and he purrs or he doesn't...if you don't want to wait, have you tried the vet? Maybe they can see if he has vocal chords...or a blockage or something...

ancientgirl February 6th, 2009 02:33 PM

My Vlad only purrs in the middle of the night when he wakes me up and start kneading at my arm. Kiska also purrs very little as well. Maybe your guy purrs when you aren't around :D

cobykat February 6th, 2009 03:02 PM

TacoGirl - Oh heavens NO! I wasn't trying in insinuate anything about him being a Savannah. I just was thinking that he is 5th generation Savannah so I would think that most of the quirks of the Serval would have been diluted in his bloodline.

I have another cat that is a feral and she purrs like a freight train - when she isn't trying to rip my arm to shreds! :crazy:

TacoGrl February 6th, 2009 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=cobykat;744124]TacoGirl - Oh heavens NO! I wasn't trying in insiuate anything about him being a Savannah. I just was thinking that he is 5th generation Savannah so I would think that most of the quirks of the Serval would have been diluted in his bloodline.

I have another cat that is a feral and she purrs like a freight train - when she isn't trying to rip my arm to shreds! :crazy:[/QUOTE]

I apologize then for being such a :evil: then...I guess I am super sensitive about the subject :o

Joeyjoejoe February 6th, 2009 05:25 PM

Different cats different personalties... I got 2 male orange cats from the same litter. They are never apart, but they couldn't be more different... one purrs like a motorcycle, but doesn't meow. The other's purr is whisper quiet, but meows all the time.:shrug:

14+kitties February 7th, 2009 11:22 AM

It is possible that Stinky will purr once he starts feeling more at ease around the home. As you said, he wasn't in great condition when you adopted him so he probably didn't feel as ease in his last "home." If he was only used for stud he quite probably didn't have the interaction he needed to become comfortable around humans. Give him time.

I was talking to a person who used to live in my area through my work a while back. She had a Bengal who dissappeared one day. Funny, she told me he was fixed. But my ferals are showing up with very distinct red colouring...

Lebeauviolet March 10th, 2009 03:08 AM

I have two nervous cats that had a stressful first year in a shelter - illness, dogs barking, little care. They gave them to me 1/2 off. The male has never purred, and won't sit for long to be pet. The female finally after 2 years old is letting me pet her (she does purr).

I always assumed the lack of purring was due to childhood trauma and nervousness. The male cat is very needy and always needs to be sitting on me or another cat when in bed. He spent his first half year at home always sitting on top of his sister.

But I am surprised to hear there are cats out there that are not physically damaged from laryngitis or emotionally stressed. My cat is still not a very happy cat but he is getting better.

jenP March 22nd, 2012 08:34 PM

[QUOTE=Lebeauviolet;755220]I have two nervous cats that had a stressful first year in a shelter - illness, dogs barking, little care. They gave them to me 1/2 off. The male has never purred, and won't sit for long to be pet. The female finally after 2 years old is letting me pet her (she does purr).

I always assumed the lack of purring was due to childhood trauma and nervousness. The male cat is very needy and always needs to be sitting on me or another cat when in bed. He spent his first half year at home always sitting on top of his sister.

But I am surprised to hear there are cats out there that are not physically damaged from laryngitis or emotionally stressed. My cat is still not a very happy cat but he is getting better.[/QUOTE]

ok so this is random. I found this post from searching on google about my new kitten. anyway, i wanted to ask how your kitty was doing, is he better now? it's been a few years :)

Koteburo March 22nd, 2012 10:30 PM

On a side note but still purr related I heard (in the Big Cat Rescue YT Channel)
That cats purr in a frequency to heal bones.

"optimal frequency for bone stimulation is 50 hertz. The dominant and fundamental frequency for three species of cats' purrs is exactly 25 to 50 hertz: the best frequencies for bone growth and fracture healing."

So interesting huh?

We should start a thread about purring :cat: