Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Gardening (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   grass pee burns? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=16848)

angie79 June 29th, 2005 07:02 PM

grass pee burns?

at first it was localized but now they are evey where. was wondering if anone knows how to stop pee from killing burning the grass. because now he's going everywhere not just in one area looks funny

levimh June 29th, 2005 07:12 PM

Having the dog not pee in that area would help. Or...having the dog pee on all the grass so it all looks evenly burned. ;)

But on the serious side, I thought there was a product out there that helped with pee spots from animals, but I'm not sure what it was...so I'm not much help, sorry.

Sneaky2006 June 29th, 2005 07:34 PM

I think there may be something to put in their food, although I am not sure of that one. You can take the dog out yourself and train it to go in one spot, so the burned grass isn't everywhere.
Or you could try a pee post, it's put into the ground and the scent of it (supposedly) makes the pup want to pee on/near it.

[url]http://www.petco.com/product_info.a...ggle=1&ei=UTF-8[/url]

mafiaprincess June 29th, 2005 08:03 PM

[COLOR=Magenta]The morning pee is what burns the grass in our house.. I guess it's the strongness. I dump a few cups of water on where she potties first thing each day.[/COLOR]

SnowDancer June 29th, 2005 08:10 PM

The front of our house faces south. So whether our Eskie "waters" the lawn or not, it is burned anyway. Apparently there are products - Loblaws quickly sold out of theirs but there are mixed reviews - guess a lot depends on size of dog and acid level of urine.

Luba June 29th, 2005 08:25 PM

Just water the pee spots as soon as they do it...my yard has lots of them LOL

JenSteele June 29th, 2005 11:58 PM

The best thing to do is train your dog to one spot only. Takes time and you leading your dog out to the proper spot every day every time he/she has to go, but they get the hang of it. Weeping gravel or "pee" gravel as some people like to call it can be spread out around a dogs favorite tree or spot and dogs don't mind it at all. It soaks up and evaporates the urine. If your dog knows it's only supposed to go on weeping gravel - a lot like paper training when they're puppies - you'll find they lose interest in doing their constitutionals on the lawn.

Also, most dogs hate the taste and smell of pickle juice or dill. Try sprinkling some dry dill in places where you don't want the dog to go. Some people use cayne pepper, but I wouldn't want to get that in the dogs eyes. Also non-spayed females burn grass the worst. When you fix your lawn remember you're going to have to really dig and turn the spot where a female has gone - they're better than weed killer (smirk).

Hope that helps :)

Jen

angie79 June 30th, 2005 06:41 AM

omg. jen may be its not all my dog..... I was saying the other day about my neighbours cat in my back yard with her litter...
really its not a hudge problem just wanted to see if I could help the situation. thanks for the ideas its raining now so watering it....

My yard gets 100% afternoon sunlight...

the pickle juice cayenne, not really something I want to do out of fear thet I would discourage him playing in his yeard... in the other hand I do use cayenne on wood, shoes and the front mat that he likes to carry around with him and it does work well.

pags June 30th, 2005 07:55 AM

My husband groaned outloud when he saw the title to this thread. :p

We've been in this house a little over two years now... and one of the things we really liked about it when we bought it was that it has a real lawn. What we didn't realize is what a battle a real lawn can be. Within the first 3 months we overfertilized and killed large patches of lawn. We had to re-sod and patiently wait it out and it came back so we were relieved... Until we got a bad case of brown patch from all of the rain that year: looked like UFOs were making crop circles in our front yard. :p Then the grass went dormant for the winter so we weren't sure how much was going to be dead in the spring. We were thrilled to see it come back thick and green.. just in time for the mole crickets to start eating it! Woo hoo! We had to re-sod again and treat it about 700 times but we got it all looking good again this year!!

So when we were standing in the back yard last week... and my husband saw the little brown circles all over the backyard he looked at me and said "Oh no... brown patch? mole crickets? what?" And I said, "Puppy." Giggle.

JenSteele June 30th, 2005 10:37 PM

[QUOTE=pags] And I said, "Puppy." Giggle.[/QUOTE]

Tooooooooooooooo funny! We got Lily in the beginning of winter... come spring a tear came to my eye as 3 years of hard work on a lawn that has a sandbase under 2 feet down had those nice little brown patches. We got on the weeping gravel and the ONE SPOT right away :) She's now trained to one spot only in the yard and then we had a nice hot spell that killed the rest of the lawn LOL.. I think I'll just put in a pool and bigger deck (smirk).

marko July 5th, 2005 08:27 AM

This week's pet tip may help....though the information seems to be well summarized in this thread.

[url]http://www.pets.ca/pettips/tips-85.htm[/url]

angie79 July 5th, 2005 08:38 AM

I really dont care about my grass that bad to medicate him, run after him with a hose to dilute it... and since he's a pup telling him no :eek: for doing it out side just somewhat seems wrong...

we will just call it decrative grass!!!!

JenSteele July 5th, 2005 08:48 AM

Definitely saying no for doing their consitutionals outside would be the wrong approach. Lots of hugs and treats for doing it in the right spot usually does the trick. Vocal command "back" following by your hands held up like you're pushing backward. Some pups need to be put on a leash in the backyard at first and lead to the appropriate spot. They're rewarded for doing it in the right spot but not scolded for doing it in the wrong spot. Food driven as our wonderful pup's are, they'll go for the reward spot quickly :)

Jen

savannah July 5th, 2005 09:37 AM

Honestly, i think i have the worst back yard lawn in our whole neighbourhood. It is burned, almost evenly, leaving not much grass, and it is the lumpiest lawn in the world. We have to sent a roller or something and roll out our lawn because it is like a mini rollercoaster.
This weekend, i tried to remove all the dead grass and sprinkled lawn fertilizer all over, so now i have to wait 8 more days, and they gaurantee a great lawn (i doubt it!).
I figure, it comes with the territory.

chico2 July 18th, 2005 08:06 AM

In my case,I of course have no dog,but Chico and Rocky take turns claiming a little cedar as their spot to spray(yes,they are neutered!)and cat-pee kills cedars,at least part of it.
Not a big deal to me,but hosing it down right after saves the ceadar and I assume it would do the same with grass and dog-pee..
Cats do not normally sit down and pee in grass,at least mine don't..Rocky and Chico will rush inside to do the real thing,but Vinnie has a nice spot behind a rosebush and looks very proud after a little"dump"in the wild :D
Once the grass has turned brown in one spot,it's very easy to just remove the dead stuff,get a little top-soil and some seeds and watch it grow :thumbs up

Jack's Mom July 19th, 2005 12:27 AM

Well, this is just too funny. We have about 4 lush, green "oasis" areas on our back lawn - the exact spots where Jack pees!! The rest of the lawn looks like crap but the grass in these spots grows so beautifully we were considering bottling.................(ha,ha). Liquid gold I guess............... :pawprint: :)

StaceyB July 19th, 2005 07:10 AM

green grass

There are a couple of products that you can get. They work as neutralizers. One of the products is green so that while it is neutralizing the spot it turns the dead grass green for instant gratification.

Jeri GSD February 1st, 2007 05:07 PM

Grass Pee Burns

I have read that if you put orange juice in the dog food it helps with the yard burns. What I can't remember is how much. I think it was 1 tablespoon of frozen or 1/2 cup of OJ, Has anyone else heard of this?

Gazoo February 4th, 2007 08:32 PM

As for the food additives or OJ----I can't see adding things to change the PH of the pee as being healthy for the dog!?!?!?!?

gypsy_girl February 25th, 2007 10:02 PM

Urine PH and burning lawn

Sometimes the PH of the urine produced is a big factor. If a urine is more alkaline is has a tendency to burn the grass. High meat diets create acidity that helps this problem. However female dogs and hormones do affect this to cause the grass to yellow.
There are some products out there to change acidity, one is called Grass SAver, and it uses Methionine, which is an amino acid. This Methionine is also what the vet uses to "overacidify" when treating Male cats for FLUTD. They would use high amounts to do this.
[url]http://dogs.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=dogs&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwarreneckstein.com%2Fstore%2Fbuygs.html[/url]