Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Puppy health (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Any ideas? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=80198)

Ybe26c February 14th, 2012 04:42 AM

Any ideas?

Hi everyone! This is my first time here so any help would be greatly appreciated! I have a very active (and extremely cheeky) 8 month old (desexed) female bull mastiff pup. She eats well and loves to exercise but a few days ago she suddenly became lame in her back left leg. There was no "incident" or "accident" that I can think of but when I touched her back leg she yelped and groaned. After some advice, I kept her quiet and calm for a few days with no exercise and it disappeared as fast as it came on. This afternoon it has suddenly come on again. She sleeps most of the day at work so again, no "incident". I tried to touch her leg but she groaned at me...I waited a few minutes and tried again and not a flicker from her. It's got me stumped! Any ideas?
P.S Coming to you from Australia!

marko February 14th, 2012 08:49 AM

Thanks for joining!
This is a tricky one because it 'seems' like it comes and goes.
I wonder if she's sleeping on it the wrong way? or maybe there's an issue with the muscle itself or the joints/tendons/ligaments and walking aggravates it - then sleeping calms it.
Just speculation on my part though. A vet visit would obviously be best here.
Good luck!

hazelrunpack February 14th, 2012 10:57 AM

I wonder if it's something like a luxating patella? Definitely something to be checked out by a vet, Ybe26c--if you can find one with some orthopedic experience, I think you'd be ahead of the game. :thumbs up Good luck with your pup! Hope she's better soon :goodvibes:

And welcome to the board! :D

BenMax February 14th, 2012 01:20 PM

This could be growing pains. However, this really requires a vet diagnosis as it could be more serious.
Best course of action is to consult with your vet and try find out now, as later could be costly.
Good luck.

Melinda February 15th, 2012 07:53 AM

my labx had luxating patella , it started around 9 months old, we had to keep her a bit more quiet, like no running up stairs, jumping on beds, we had to stop our agility training till she was 18 months and switch her to adult food instead of the puppy food. Incidently, it was the same leg that 6 yrs later we had to have her knee operated on. Like the others have said, its best to have a vet do xrays to determine exactly what is wrong.

Ybe26c February 15th, 2012 11:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys - quick update...the next morning she's totally fine and running riot through the house again! I do wonder if she sometimes sleeps on it the wrong way...she has a canopy bed at work but prefers to sleep on the concrete!

Next visit to the vet I will ask!

DarKevs February 21st, 2012 03:42 PM

not sure, but it might be what is referred to as Pano............

google and research...........Panosteitis.

Hugz to your girl!