Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Breed characteristics and traits (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Boxer Questions & Answers (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=718)

Shannon-iowa September 16th, 2002 09:29 PM

Boxer Questions & Answers

We got a purebred boxer from a puppy mill that is in very sad shape. Very thin with diarhea. When we got her she was FULL of fleas. The man told us that they have been trying and she won't keep any weight on. By the looks of her they didn't try very hard. We brought her home, dipped her for fleas, wormed her, and she is going to the vet tomorrow for shots/check up. The guy we got her from told us supposedly she has a "liver disorder" of some kind that isn't life threatening. She was in a dark building with no food/water that I could see. I believe she was sick from the fleas and depressed...as she is eating well and seems quite active and happy. I have had boxers before, but never had any problems with them. I was hoping someone could tell me if they know of any known liver problems that would create these symptoms. Her eyes are white, nose is moist, she is eating/drinking/urinating fine. We at this point have only had her for 2 days. I think this is a case where with love and proper care she will come out of this, but I would appreciate any input. Thank you.

Kailee'smom December 17th, 2002 11:36 PM

All I can say is Thank Goodness you got this little boxer. I really don't know what to say about the liver issue, but I would think your vet will most likely run some liver panels to see what is going on etc. As for the weight, most likely this poor thing has worms. Although you have wormed her, she may need more extensive worming with meds from your vet as well. I will pm you with a link to some people who are very knowledgable with boxers and specific ailments. Keep us posted on how this little boxer makes out with you.

pethouse June 13th, 2003 11:46 PM

I'm new here, that's why my response is so late. Hope the puppy is better. Some puppies are born with 'liver shunt' which causes severe diarrhea and weight loss. The only cure is surgery, which is expense and not always successful. I hope that is not what your puppy has. I too adopted a puppy-mill puppy, my siberian husky. He also had severe diarrhea and weight loss among other things. He tested negative for a liver shunt disorder (the main blood supply bypasses the liver and goes directly to the small intestine), but after 5 vets and lots of $, someone figured out that he had clostridium perfringens. A severe toxic bacteria that can destroy the small intestines if left untreated. He is healthy now, just marking my house and pets, see my entry on 'dog urinates on dog'. Hope everything worked out okay.