Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Isn't she cute (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77409)

Claudia36oh June 13th, 2011 11:18 PM

Isn't she cute

1 Attachment(s)
one of my catches today, been having fun catching them alive and seeing them hop of :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack June 13th, 2011 11:27 PM

She is a cutie! Is that a deermouse? We get them here--they make a nest under the hood on our fuel tank every winter. When the guy comes to fill the tank, he's always careful not to disturb the mice. We have him well trained! :laughing:

Claudia36oh June 14th, 2011 12:25 AM

Don't know what she is..that's number 6 in the live trap..lol

chico2 June 14th, 2011 07:36 AM

They are adorable(hubby does not agree):laughing:
I once watched a little baby mouse carry away a peanut,almost the same size as him.
I think it's great they are captured alive,there really is no humane way of killing them IMO and why should they have to die..

Love4himies June 14th, 2011 07:48 AM

It does look like a deer mouse. Always best to wear a face mask when you are near them, or cleaning up their feces.

[url]http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealth/cdc/fs/Hantavirusfs.pdf[/url]

Goldfields June 14th, 2011 10:18 AM

The description seems to fit, L4H, and gee, it makes me glad we don't have that sort of mouse, or that virus here. We could be due for a massive mouse plague in the Spring and that would be scary if they were carrying something like that.

binkybuff June 14th, 2011 10:41 AM

If that mouse is a Deermouse, be very careful when handling. They are a carrier of Hantivirius, which can be deadly in humans.

If it is a common field mouse, so far as I know, they do not carry that disease.

Deer mice are usually grey on top and white underbelly, where as the common field mouse is brownish.

When handling deer mice, one must or should be wearing rubber gloves and a face mask, as cleaning up the droppings there is dust, and that is where the hantivirus is mosy deadly.

Had a farmer neighbour spend many months in the hospital with hantivirus, and he was very ill. There was a time they didn't know if he would live.

Be very careful

take care
binky

Claudia36oh June 14th, 2011 08:53 PM

Thanks for your warnings, I'm pretty sure it's a field mouse, these little guys are more gray then brown, done some research today, but I'm still wearing cloves and a mask..glad there outside not in the house :D

Claudia36oh June 19th, 2011 01:06 AM

No mice today...woohoo got them beat :cool:

hazelrunpack June 19th, 2011 09:11 AM

Congratulations :highfive:

Don't get cocky, though--mice are tricksie...and the little devils breed like....well, like mice! :p There will be more... :D Probably tomorrow :rolleyes:

This time of year we don't usually have a problem with them, but come Fall, all the mice in the neighborhood try to move into our garage. We have a whole little collection of live traps that we set up. hubby only releases them at the end of the drive, though, about 150 ft away. hubby thinks that's far away, but I'm pretty sure they beat him back down the drive to the house. :D After all, that's where the food is...in those live traps! :laughing:

Claudia36oh June 19th, 2011 08:05 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;1014519]Congratulations :highfive:

Don't get cocky, though--mice are tricksie...and the little devils breed like....well, like mice! :p There will be more... :D Probably tomorrow :rolleyes:

This time of year we don't usually have a problem with them, but come Fall, all the mice in the neighborhood try to move into our garage. We have a whole little collection of live traps that we set up. hubby only releases them at the end of the drive, though, about 150 ft away. hubby thinks that's far away, but I'm pretty sure they beat him back down the drive to the house. :D After all, that's where the food is...in those live traps! :laughing:[/QUOTE]

None today either :thumbs up but your right they probably be back, I caught a few very little ones:rolleyes:, the last one I let go was a great big fat one that didn't wanna get out of the trap, I think she wanted to finish the peanut butter..lol