Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Nino has black roots? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84330)

pattymac July 23rd, 2013 06:37 PM

Nino has black roots?

The last time I took Nino to the vet, I asked her to check his skin, as he's flaky. So she did a scraping and looked at it for mites or any other creepy crawlies might be causing it. Nothing showed up. So I've noticed that when combing him, his roots are black? Not the hair but the root. Of course, yesterday when I had him in there, I totally forgot about it. Whatever it is, it's not moving, there's no blood dirt like you get with fleas. His skin isn't red and no sores anywhere. Nobody else has any sign of itchiness or flakiness and no black roots. I searched google and didn't find anything like that. It's kind of weird to say the least. I'm going to try to get some of his hair to the vet, maybe she has some idea what it is, if anything.

Barkingdog July 24th, 2013 10:27 AM

Maybe he dye his fur. Did the vet check your dog skin under a light? I do not know what you call the light but my dog was attacking his rear end and I thought he had something I could not see . The vet used a light to check Marty skin. My dog skin was OK . What kind dog do you have , does he have long fur?

pattymac July 24th, 2013 04:10 PM

Nino's my Maine Coon. Maybe it was a black light? He does have long hair. It's weird cause I could find nothing on the net. There are things but he doesn't have any visible skin irritations, no rash or break-outs. None of the other cats have anything like that. No visible cooties. I sent a question into askthevet and made him another appointment for the end of the month so the vet can see his roots.

Barkingdog July 24th, 2013 05:24 PM

[QUOTE=pattymac;1059925]Nino's my Maine Coon. Maybe it was a black light? He does have long hair. It's weird cause I could find nothing on the net. There are things but he doesn't have any visible skin irritations, no rash or break-outs. None of the other cats have anything like that. No visible cooties. I sent a question into askthevet and made him another appointment for the end of the month so the vet can see his roots.[/QUOTE]

If your cat is not scratching or biting himself to death , it could just be the color of his fur, . I have seen pets the have long fur that the multicolor , maybe is the cat skin that is black.

pattymac July 24th, 2013 07:51 PM

His skin is normal white/pink colour. His hair is white at the base and shaded grey at the ends. I went on the askthevet site and sent in a question about it.

Barkingdog July 24th, 2013 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=pattymac;1059930]His skin is normal white/pink colour. His hair is white at the base and shaded grey at the ends. I went on the askthevet site and sent in a question about it.[/QUOTE]

That is a good idea . I really could not find any links for this. I like Maine coon cats a lot, I rescue a Maine coon cat but I can't remember what color
the fur roots where. He was a real great cat.

pattymac July 24th, 2013 09:53 PM

I even have that vet baffled. I sent her another description. It's not the hair, his hair is fine, it's the very end that is in the skin. You know the little bulb at the end when you pull a hair out. Is very weird.

Barkingdog July 25th, 2013 08:24 AM

I think it's normal for the balls of roots to be black , if not your cat is not bothered by this and show no signs of stress and is eating OK and has problem with his stools I would not be too concerned. Is your cat fur falling out and that is why you're worried?

Jull July 25th, 2013 12:58 PM

Maybe you should try to take a picture and put it up on here, see if anyone can help you figure it out?? :confused:

pattymac July 25th, 2013 01:35 PM

I should be able to do that. I always forget about pics!

pattymac July 25th, 2013 02:00 PM

Nino hair

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic, best I could get with my camera. I'm really tempted to give him a bath. It almost looks like dirt, maybe from the 7 days they spent on the farm?

Barkingdog July 25th, 2013 04:17 PM

what part of body is that on your cat , it's the belly?

pattymac July 25th, 2013 04:26 PM

thats hair that I combed off his back. I may just give him a good bath once his tooth is better, don't want to mess with him when his mouth is still sore.

Barkingdog July 25th, 2013 06:35 PM

[QUOTE=pattymac;1059990]thats hair that I combed off his back. I may just give him a good bath once his tooth is better, don't want to mess with him when his mouth is still sore.[/QUOTE]

LOL! I was wondering what part of the body that was. Maybe if put the hair on white paper it would be easer to see? I think it is just the color of end of the roots.

pattymac July 25th, 2013 07:56 PM

I did put it on paper actually! My camera doesn't take good close-ups. I think a good scrubbing would help him alot....now if I do that I'll let you guys know and if you don't hear from me again....I was chewed up and spit out by a very angry 20 pound Maine Coon with very large teeth!

Barkingdog July 25th, 2013 08:54 PM

[QUOTE=pattymac;1059997]I did put it on paper actually! My camera doesn't take good close-ups. I think a good scrubbing would help him alot....now if I do that I'll let you guys know and if you don't hear from me again....I was chewed up and spit out by a very angry 20 pound Maine Coon with very large teeth![/QUOTE]

I would not scrub too hard as I really think that there nothing wrong with your cat fur. He would be letting you know that something was wrong by biting at his skin or scratching with his claws . You're seeing the balls of fur roots . Is your cat fur falling out at an alarming rate? If you look the photo of the hair from people the very end of the roots are black .

[url]http://www.google.com/search?q=hair+root&hl=en&qscrl=1&rlz=1T4PRFF_enUS531US531&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=7NfxUZD4HLat4APh5oGYDA&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1600&bih=773#facrc=0%3Bhuman%20hair%20root&imgrc=_[/url]