Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Dog suddenly acts afraid in my house (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=56380)

tropicanapunk September 10th, 2008 06:29 AM

Dog suddenly acts afraid in my house

My 5 yr old chow has suddenly began acting as if she has seen a ghost. She usually is very much a part of what is going on, and instead her habits have completely changed. She avoids certain parts of the house, and when we take her outside, she won't come back inside...... we litterally have to drag her back in. She is lying in areas of the house where she never would before, she gets in bed with my elderly mother and wont get back out. She's eating well, seems happy otherwise. She just seems frightened by something in the house. I even have to stand there with her while she eats, she seems to be looking over her shoulder all the time........ It is a mystery to us. Wish I could find out what is spooking her & how to ease her sudden onset of fears.

Soter September 10th, 2008 06:40 AM

Spooky!

I really hope it gets okay soon!

my friend had a jack russel, they lived on a farm, and they always played hide and seek in their huge barn. then one day the jack russell never wanted to go in there and they found it was because there was rat pee everywhere and rats were all about the barn. funny thing though, usually jack russells love anything 'rattish' and will hunt them out.

maybe something along those lines has happened with your dog:shrug:

they got rid of the rats, and after about three months the dog went back in there as if nothing has happened.

do you have a cat??

BenMax September 10th, 2008 07:57 AM

This has happened to others before. Did you change furnature around? Is there something new in the home? There was one case that I had where the people had a box that they had not put in the trash for one week. The dog was uncomfortable about the box and once I told them to get rid of it - the dog was fine.

badger September 10th, 2008 08:33 AM

Have you got any Rescue Remedy (Bach Remedies)? You can get it in spray form at the health food store and some grocery chains (at least here in Canada). Put some in his water, perhaps it will help. In moments of crisis, spray directly onto his tongue. It is completely natural.
I hope your poor mother wasn't too inconvenienced :laughing:
Could something have happened while he was alone in the house? Have you invited new people in, any small children who may have tormented him?

bendyfoot September 10th, 2008 12:04 PM

When was the last time his hearing and/or vision was evaluated?

gballen October 26th, 2012 03:38 AM

My dog is doing the same thing. Not sure how to handle it. He is a chow mix Strange, any other ideal?

MaxaLisa October 28th, 2012 05:20 PM

I would have aat least a urinalysis done, if not a full panel, just to make sure there isn't omething going on. Thyroid can also do this, as well as a uti or other infection.

Some senior dogs seem to respond to the supplement cholidin (sp?), but I don't have experience with it.

Goldfields October 28th, 2012 08:28 PM

I agree with MaxaLisa, check out the dog's health, but also, what are you feeding it?I have had a dog allergic to preservatives in one particular food and it's reaction was like your dog, freaking out over something we couldn't see. She would hide under the table and go to bite if you tried to get her out, but take her off that food and she was fine.

Barkingdog October 29th, 2012 09:30 AM

Maybe there something in the wall your dog is hearing or smelling. Do you have a lot of snakes where you live?