Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rescue remedy for Bailey ? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=53613)

Frenchy June 22nd, 2008 07:23 PM

Rescue remedy for Bailey ?

I know many of us have dogs who are very stressed over thunderstorms. I really need something for Bailey. We have gotten 2-3 thunderstorms a week for the past month. I've been told this is the kind of summer we'll be getting. Bailey is getting worse with each storms. He even freaked out when the wind picked up the other day !!!

We had one earlier , not a big one , at about 3 pm. Lasted 5-10 minutes. More than 3 hours after , Bailey still didn't want to go out. When I came back inside , he had peed in the kitchen.

I bought a natural remedy at my vet 2 years ago but you have to give it to the dog an hour prior a storm , which is impossible to guess. So it was expensive and no help at all.

I tried everything to calm him down , put music on , tv on , dance , sing , tried to play with him , put a blanket on him , ignore him , nothing works. I really need some type of a med that will act FAST when storms happen , any of you know about one ? :pray:

meg4050 June 22nd, 2008 07:28 PM

Frenchy, my sister has the same problem with Indie and she just started using a Rescue Remedy that her friend recommended, who's a homeopath and swears by it for her dogs. We had a storm today so I'll try and get a hold of her tonight and see how it worked!

Frenchy June 22nd, 2008 07:30 PM

Thanks Meg ! Please ask her how long it takes for this thing to work and where I can get it. Thanks again !

pitgrrl June 22nd, 2008 08:13 PM

Frenchy, I use Rescue Remedy for Streets and it certainly helps.

When I notice him start to get tense (usually a few minutes before the storm hits) I give him his first dose, which is either 2-4 of drop in the inside "pocket" of his lip or, if I have the spray bottle version, a couple of sprays.

I won't usually see an immediate reaction, but he doesn't work himself into a total freakout.

10-15 minutes later I repeat the dose and keep doing this for either an hour or until the storm is over, whichever comes first. By the 2nd or 3rd dose, depending on how bad the storm is/how stressed he is, he'll usually lay down and stop panting.

Byrd June 22nd, 2008 08:21 PM

Rescue Remedy does nothing for Willow unfortunately. I haven't tried it on my mom's dog yet though. I hear that they're all different when it comes to how much RR helps them.

Frenchy June 22nd, 2008 08:22 PM

Thanks pitgrrl , where did you buy it ?

CharlieBsMom June 22nd, 2008 08:46 PM

Would Rescue Remedy work for dogs that get car sick?

pitgrrl June 22nd, 2008 08:47 PM

Weirdly, the Provigo near me sells it, but usually it's available at healthfood stores and some more "holistic" pet supply places.

Frenchy June 22nd, 2008 08:55 PM

[QUOTE=Byrd;611258]Rescue Remedy does nothing for Willow unfortunately. [/QUOTE]

:sad:

[QUOTE=CharlieBsMom;611271]Would Rescue Remedy work for dogs that get car sick?[/QUOTE]
I think you should try Gravol for car sickness but I don't know the amount you can give.
[QUOTE=pitgrrl;611273]Weirdly, the Provigo near me sells it, but usually it's available at healthfood stores and some more "holistic" pet supply places.[/QUOTE]

Ah crap , that means this will be hard to get here. :frustrated:

BusterBoo June 22nd, 2008 08:56 PM

We had another bad storm around 6:00 and Buster paced about the whole time. If rescue remedy works for most,then I think I will get some! It's going to be a long summer...

Frenchy, hope Bailey settles for the night! :fingerscr

hazelrunpack June 22nd, 2008 09:12 PM

We've been getting on-and-off storms all day...plus we're coming up on the cannon/fireworks/Fourth of July/Rock-Dam-"Daze" madness season... :rolleyes: Is Rescue Remedy available in the States? I'm going into town tomorrow...I can hit some holistic places if it's available here :fingerscr Does anyone know?

Winston June 22nd, 2008 09:16 PM

I always thought you could pick it up at any pet store ??

Frenchy June 22nd, 2008 09:17 PM

Busterboo and Hazel , one of us should buy it in bulk and sell it to the others :laughing:

luckypenny June 22nd, 2008 09:20 PM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;611276]
Ah crap , that means this will be hard to get here. :frustrated:[/QUOTE]

Nope, they sell it at Tau, right next to ToysRus on Taschereau. I have a half bottle here that I'm not really using since Lucky went back on his meds. You're more than welcome to have it to at least see if it works before going out to buy it.

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;611291] Is Rescue Remedy available in the States? I'm going into town tomorrow...I can hit some holistic places if it's available here :fingerscr Does anyone know?[/QUOTE]

It ought to be Hazel; It originated in England if I remember correctly and it's quite popular world-wide. Look for the [I]Bach[/I]'s Rescue Remedy.

hazelrunpack June 22nd, 2008 09:26 PM

[QUOTE=luckypenny;611298]It ought to be Hazel; It originated in England if I remember correctly and it's quite popular world-wide. Look for the [I]Bach[/I]'s Rescue Remedy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, LP! :thumbs up I'll look for it tomorrow. Poor Cass has been frazzled all day between the thunder and the cannons and when she curls up in her safe place under the computer table, she has to deal with getting all tangled up in the cords, too! :dog: So stressful for the poor darlin'...

Frenchy, is Bailey settling down any or are you still getting storms? :grouphug:

meg4050 June 22nd, 2008 09:28 PM

Frenchy, I can't get ahold of my sis but I talked to my mom and she remembered that when my sister mentioned it last weekend, it was a combination of the rescue remedy and then a dab of lavender oil on the dog's nose when the storm comes :shrug:

I'll try to get more explanation on it tomorrow!

Frenchy June 22nd, 2008 09:37 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;611307]
Frenchy, is Bailey settling down any or are you still getting storms? :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

Right now he's ok. We also had fireworks yesterday and may have more tomorrow or Tuesday (Quebec day) and next week is Canada day... more fireworks to come.

[QUOTE=meg4050;611313]
I'll try to get more explanation on it tomorrow![/QUOTE]

Thanks Meg !

And thanks LP , if you are sure Lucky doesn't need it anymore , I would like to try it. :thankyou:

angeldogs June 22nd, 2008 09:53 PM

We are using different hompathic stuff with the dogs we work with and it works good.My instructor gives them.i will get the names tomorrow for you.

You can descenitize Bailey to the thunder storms.you will need a cd of the thunder storms to do it.

badger June 22nd, 2008 09:59 PM

Although my cats couldn't care less about thunder and lightening (they think your dog is a [I]wimp[/I] :laughing:), RR is perfect for just such a situation (and in my experience, less effective for long term stress). Tony once saw a dead cat in the alley. Normally he is a very suave guy but he totally fell apart. When I finally managed to get him inside, I dosed him every fifteen minutes for about an hour. Worked like a charm - although cuddles helped too :).

Frenchy, try to get the spray, it is much easier to apply and may even act more quickly. Right on the tongue, bam. I used to get the drops at Loblaws, by now they must sell the spray as well.

I was always under the impression that Bach Essences were originally German? Maybe because the Germans have long experience in making alternative remedies.

Frenchy June 22nd, 2008 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=badger;611347]
Frenchy, try to get the spray, it is much easier to apply and may even act more quickly. Right on the tongue, bam. I used to get the drops at Loblaws, by now they must sell the spray as well.

[/QUOTE]

Loblaws ? Cewl ! :thumbs up

angeldogs June 22nd, 2008 10:17 PM

I just remembered.
We mxed Vine and vervain not sure of the spelling on the second one.will find out.the were bought at a health store.

We are using it on the rotti i posted pics on as she is a very stressed girl.and she as calmed down alot.we put it right in her water bowl so she gets a bit each time she drinks.

luckypenny June 22nd, 2008 10:25 PM

[QUOTE=badger;611347]I was always under the impression that Bach Essences were originally German? Maybe because the Germans have long experience in making alternative remedies.[/QUOTE]

Inquiring minds want to know :laughing: . I thought Bach was German as well but I remember reading something about originating in England when I was looking it up for Lucky way back when. I found this.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Bach[/url]

Sorry Frenchy, sort of off-topic :o .

pitgrrl June 23rd, 2008 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=angeldogs;611339]We are using different hompathic stuff with the dogs we work with and it works good.My instructor gives them.i will get the names tomorrow for you.

You can descenitize Bailey to the thunder storms.you will need a cd of the thunder storms to do it.[/QUOTE]

I've had no success what so ever with recorded thunder. I've read that thunder sounds different depending on your location, not to mention that some dogs are reacting the sound, while others have trouble with the changes in pressure, static electricity, etc.

I have heard of people recording storms themselves though and then playing them back, but again, I feel like a dog could tell the difference :shrug:

Have you used this successfully angeldogs? It's always so interesting how different one dog will be from another.

Frenchy June 23rd, 2008 11:33 AM

[QUOTE=luckypenny;611377]
Sorry Frenchy, sort of off-topic :o .[/QUOTE]
My threads are always welcome to off topics :D
[QUOTE=pitgrrl;611495]not to mention that some dogs are reacting the sound, while others have trouble with the changes in pressure, static electricity, etc.

[/QUOTE]

With Bailey it's all the above , because he can sense it coming , before the thunder even starts.

hazelrunpack June 23rd, 2008 08:18 PM

I was unable to locate any in town. :sad: I didn't make it to the nature foods store, though--they sometimes have homeopathic remedies there, so they may carry it. I ran out of time so I'm going to call them tomorrow.

On an almost related note :o, the lady at the WalMart pharmacy looked at me like I was nuts when I asked if they carried probiotics or Slippery Elm. :rolleyes: Evidently China doesn't ship them anything like that... :laughing:

Frenchy June 23rd, 2008 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;611788]I was unable to locate any in town. :sad: Evidently China doesn't ship them anything like that... :laughing:[/QUOTE]

:laughing:

I went to a pet food store here , nothing. Went to a vet , needs to see the dog to prescribe something ... no thanks.

But angeldogs pm me a natural med I could get at the health store so I will try to find some . It's call Mimulus.

Thanks angeldogs

Byrd June 23rd, 2008 08:27 PM

I got my RR at a health food store. They would likely have it at GNC or something. :confused:

What about ordering it online?

Frenchy June 23rd, 2008 08:31 PM

[QUOTE=Byrd;611793]

What about ordering it online?[/QUOTE]

Takes too long for the delivery. Next fireworks are next Saturday for Canada day. I have to find and buy something this week. :pray:

BusterBoo June 23rd, 2008 08:36 PM

tomorrow night is St Jean Baptiste....then a week later Canada Day... I think I might get Buster some ear plugs for the next week!!!

I have to go to Petsmart tomorrow to return the leaking hummingbird feeder and for some reason,I thought I had seen RR there before...If I find it, I will let you all know!

Byrd June 23rd, 2008 08:47 PM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;611800]Takes too long for the delivery. Next fireworks are next Saturday for Canada day. I have to find and buy something this week. :pray:[/QUOTE]

Call around to some of your local health food stores, that's what I did, turned out that the one right next to my workplace had it.