Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Preening hummingbird (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77960)

hazelrunpack July 18th, 2011 11:05 PM

Preening hummingbird

3 Attachment(s)
Here ya go, Winston--a preening hummingbird...though how it does that without cutting off the circulation to its head is beyond me :p

[ATTACH]75103[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]75102[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]75104[/ATTACH]

Winston July 19th, 2011 06:17 AM

Wow Hazel that is awesome! I dont think I ever thought I would be able to see that! :thumbs up

hazelrunpack July 19th, 2011 08:42 AM

The chest is the hardest for them--they have no trouble with the tail! :laughing:

Dee-O-Gee July 19th, 2011 09:33 PM

Cool pictures. I don't think I'll ever see a hummingbird preen in my lifetime. :(

hazelrunpack July 19th, 2011 09:37 PM

Sure you will--check in the bushes. :D madame hazel was sneakin' around in their boudoirs! :laughing:

Dee-O-Gee July 19th, 2011 09:50 PM

I have to find me one first Hazel. Haven't seen Todd or any others here in quite a while. :(

I also think the Orioles have moved further north for cooler air. It's been pretty bird quiet around here lately. :shrug:

hazelrunpack July 19th, 2011 09:55 PM

They're all nesting so they won't be coming to the feeders often for a few weeks yet. Around here, they've just settled down onto their second clutches, so it'll be another 4 weeks before the adults are putting in much of an appearance. The first broods are out, on the other hand, and they'll be trickling in to the easy food sources, so keep your eyes peeled. :D

dmc123 July 20th, 2011 05:18 PM

very nice photos- you know I love the hummers!

Diane

hazelrunpack July 20th, 2011 06:19 PM

Thx, Diane! We were outside watching them just now--I don't know if it just got so hot that the nectaries in the flowers shut down or what, but the hummers are swarming the feeders today! :cloud9:

Melinda July 20th, 2011 08:39 PM

wow, that is a wonderful picture!! I didn't think they could do that!!

hazelrunpack July 20th, 2011 08:40 PM

They very nearly can't ! :laughing: I think they could use a few more vertebrae in their necks! :p

renegaderuby September 18th, 2011 08:50 PM

maybe god left out the extra vertebrae so they wouldnt stab themselves like with a toothpick? just a thought :D

hazelrunpack September 18th, 2011 09:04 PM

I'm always afraid they're gonna pinch a nerve! :eek: :laughing: They preen much better than I ever could, though... :p

renegaderuby September 18th, 2011 10:15 PM

Yeah...my preening consists of a bath, a quick fluff of the towel, some scrunching of the curly hair, and clean clothes. (on a good day).
If I'm wearing make-up...ask me where I'm going. Because its not my "thing".
And if I've got anything besides a barette in the middle holding my curly bangs outta my eyes, or a headband getting all of it outta my way...REALLY ask me where I'm going.
LOL

Goldfields September 19th, 2011 07:36 PM

That looks painful. LOL. I imagine our New Holland Honeyeaters have that same problem preening. Great photo's.