Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc. (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   Poor 'roo (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=78082)

Goldfields July 29th, 2011 03:43 AM

Poor 'roo

I've had 4 trips to town this week. Delivering Silk to the vet, picking her up again, doing my shopping, and today to get Silk some more antibiotics. Each trip I need to watch for roo's on the road and sure enough, on my second trip there was mum and joey sitting in the middle of the road. No camera unfortunately. Anyway, today I slowed down to move off the road a bit for a truck that was coming towards me, unsure of whether he'd turn left into a paddock. Well, he did, and his slowing down might be the only thing that saves the big roo that came flying out of the paddock, smashed into his truck, fell on the ground, then got up and kept going. Poor thing would be very sore tonight I imagine. Had I not slowed down we both might have collected him. I hope he didn't break anything. :( Pity they panic like that, it causes so many to be hit by traffic.

Myka July 29th, 2011 12:03 PM

Sounds like the rabbits around here. They bound off the road, only to jump back on the road and right under the tires!

hazelrunpack July 29th, 2011 01:09 PM

White-tailed deer do the same thing. You can pull to a complete stop to let them cross in front of you and they'll run headlong into the side of the vehicle instead. :shrug: Ya gotta wonder about their sanity some days. There must be some reason, but it sure isn't readily apparent...

Goldfields July 29th, 2011 07:42 PM

They do have the intelligence of a rabbit, Myka, only their size means a lot of costly damage to your car if you hit them. Mind you, some drivers have the intelligence of a rabbit too. I heard of one guy who had one come through the windscreen, and when he bailed out of his vehicle he stupidly shut the door. It did quite a bit of damage to his upholstery apparently.

I have a theory that it's the grass fed animals that are stupid, Hazel, though I hasten to add my sheep and ponies are not. LOL. Maybe it's grass fed animals with small heads and brains? Once on the way to a dog show I spotted a kangaroo coming as fast as it could leap along a road that was on an angle, where it hit the main road was ahead of us. It could have slowed down or stopped and we'd have been gone, but no, it could see the safety of the bush on Mt Arapiles, on our right, and yes, if we hadn't slowed down, we'd have hit the stupid thing. They sell a product here , two little gadgets that you fit on each side, down low on the front of your car. They emit some sort of sound or signal that scares the roos. Well, yes, they do that alright, but when you drive into the forest down near Hamilton and there are upwards of 150 roos out feeding it's just instant pandemonium. It seems to confuse them totally, so they jump in all directions . LOL. We have been lucky, we put a strong bull bar on the wagon. We've hit one roo after we came over a crest and it was standing in front of us, no time to stop, and a wallaby that popped onto the road from scrub that was below road level, an embankment near a bridge. Hate it when it happens.

hazelrunpack July 29th, 2011 07:53 PM

They sell those gadgets here, too. They seem to work equally well in both countries :frustrated: