Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Birds (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   What kind of bird is this? (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=77667)

Winston June 28th, 2011 07:04 PM

What kind of bird is this?

3 Attachment(s)
The picture doesnt really show the birs well but I have never seen this one before. My neighbour knocked on the door and said there might be a peregrine falcon in the yard. I kaughed when I saw this bird cause its way way too samll for a falcon. He has a yellow beak, looks young, spotted chest and has an amazing chirp! That was the other clue he wasnt a rapter! Let me know what you think.

Winston June 28th, 2011 07:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
and a couple more

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2011 07:15 PM

How big was it? About robin sized? It looks a lot like a juvenile robin from what I can see of it.

Winston June 28th, 2011 07:38 PM

Thats the first thing I thought of too but I couldn't get a close enough look at him! I bet your right on the money! I have seen the adults around! The only thing is he was not slender he was puffy and really round compared to some of the nice figures of some of the Robins I have seen!

Now you know why I laughed when the neighbour said it was a falcon! :laughing:

Thanks Hazel I think so too!

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2011 07:40 PM

He might just be a little fluffed cuz he's cold. He's pretty orange on his breast, so he's likely been on his own a few days and is probably not as well-fed as he'd like to be. :D

Winston June 28th, 2011 07:40 PM

So I just googled it and yeah thats pretty much it!

I have a question though? do they loose the spotted chest and get a full red chest?

Cause I still find it odd that a Bald Eagle doesnt get the white head until approx 3 yrs of age? and then it turns such a beautiful white????

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2011 07:41 PM

Yep...not sure when the spots disappear but probably with their first full molt.

Winston June 28th, 2011 07:47 PM

Wow thats cool! maybe its just a well fed youngin then because it certainly is plump! :D

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2011 07:52 PM

Have you seen any more around? I know we fledged 4 baby robins last week but they're so good at remaining unseen... We only rarely see the young'uns once they leave the nest. :shrug:

Winston June 28th, 2011 08:02 PM

I havent noticed any others really but there are so many birds here this time of year! I see many many cardinals each day! and Robins are really plentiful! and there about a million of the tiny little ones as I call them since I dont know there names...maybe chickadees? the ones that are a problem are the really dark almost black ones that remind me of a crow until you see the top of their head and its like a hunter green...I think they are a grackle? they are quite nasty to other birds and sort of stick to their own kind.

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2011 08:11 PM

Yep, those blackbirds are likely grackles...they can be nasty buggers and often travel in packs. If they come in numbers, they can really drive the seed bill up, too! :D

Winston June 28th, 2011 08:14 PM

I watched them empty the neighbours on the weekend in record time!

Gotta boogie my boy is pacing!! have a good one and thanks for help in the ID!!

hazelrunpack June 28th, 2011 08:15 PM

Give Winston a big hug for me :dog:

chico2 June 29th, 2011 09:21 AM

Winston,I have young Robins here,they are much slimmer and have long tail-feathers like mom and dad,but maybe this one is younger.
They all have the spotted chests..hopefully your little one is safe,do you see mom and dad feeding it?,usually they get really frantic if a baby is in trouble,or if you get close to him.