Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   SOS ! Martin the li'l grey cat (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43880)

Frenchy August 21st, 2007 07:44 PM

SOS ! Martin the li'l grey cat

3 Attachment(s)
Martin is in need of a foster home or permanent home asap. Here's a few words from his rescuer :

Martin was thrown out of some house a year an a half ago and discarded to the busy streets on Montreal on a cold January morning no less.

He found shelter under my balcony where he spent the winter months. He is so friendly that he waits in the bushes for us to come home and meows trying to follow us inside. Even when we walk the dog, we have to open the door carefully to make sure he isn't sitting on our doorstep because he's not afraid of approaching us while we're trying ot hold back a psycho doberman.

He recently fathered a couple of kittens which he defends against other strays and we would find him all scratched up every morning by our door.

We finally decided that this poor cat has done his time outdoors and took him to the vet in hopes of finding him a happy little family where he could spend the rest of his days.

After two week at the vet, he is FIV positive but the virus is inactive which means he is healthy and could remain just a carrier for the rest of his life without getting sick.

But this makes him very hard to adopt out. We can't put him back out in the street, because 1. he is a family cat and very obviously in need of human love; 2. Will be the sole cat defending a huge area; 3. He was an indoor cat and not a good hunter. 4. He is sleeping under cars on a busy street watching people come and go which is freaking me out!

Other than that he is perfectly healthy, perfectly friendly and about 2 or 3 years old. Perfect teeth. It's very hard to take a picture of him because everytime oy make eye contact with Martin, he starts to roll around and rubbing against the cage.

He needs a foster home. If not a permanent home. I have no where to place him. I don't want to put him back out in the streets but have no choice. I have no place to put him. I would have taken him in with my 3 cats since he is friendly and my cats are healthy and the chances of something going wrong are very slim to none but my doberman will attack him.

I've gotten 3 of the 4 kittens he's fathered fix/ vaccinated/ adopted. I stil have to catch the last one. (The mother, LOLA, is also at the vet fixed and vaccinated. )

I was gonna release them today but will board them until friday in desperate hope of finding him a good spot forever or for foster. ANYTHING....ANYTHING will do.

Pet's Name: Martin
Species: Cat
Breed: domestic shorthair
Personality/Biography: Super friendly, people person, not afraid of dogs
Speutered: yes
Special Needs or Requirements: FIV positive
Reason for Being Adpoted out: has no human representative. Needs a family
Services included in Adoption Fee: He is fixed, vaccinated and currently being boarded at the vet since August 8.

Please pm me if you can help Martin in any way. :pray: Thanks.

mummummum August 21st, 2007 07:56 PM

You're a tricky one Frenchy. Martin is very handsome and looks like the perfect family cat ! :fingerscr

catsnatcher-CDN August 21st, 2007 09:29 PM

He could be driven to Toronto in a heartbeat, mummumm

Frenchy August 21st, 2007 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=catsnatcher-CDN;467685]He could be driven to Toronto in a heartbeat, mummumm[/QUOTE]

Oh yes ! Transport can be arrange !

badger August 22nd, 2007 05:45 AM

Look at those cheeks. Someone take pity on this poor guy.

chico2 August 22nd, 2007 07:15 AM

Frenchy,Catsnatcher,he looks wonderful,poor little guy..I don't know an awful lot about FIV,but I know they can live a long time without problems.
A friend of mine has 5 FIV-positive cats,all from HS,they are absolutely no problem and are all at a ripe old age,he would be perfect for this cat,however he now has severe healthproblems himself:cry:
What I read(don't quote me on this)is that FIV cannot be transmitted to humans and in rare cases can be transmitted to other cats,but only from a bite..and their immunsystem is vulnerable,probiotics would help.
:pray: for this kitty

catsnatcher-CDN August 22nd, 2007 07:30 AM

hey chico,

he would do FANTASTIC in any house. He found himself abandonned in the winter and stayed real close to the Homeless 5. Now that the homeless 5 are placed, he found the last feral in town to keep him company.

He's so friendly and according to the vet, the FIV is inactive.

I have no idea who would take this cat.

chico2 August 22nd, 2007 07:38 AM

CS,yes I am sure he would,but Tom is now close to 80yrs old and can hardly walk+other healthproblems,he is an amazing catperson,but his wife is not able to take in more cats:sorry:

happycats August 22nd, 2007 08:55 AM

:pray: :fingerscr I hope this sweetie gets a great home soon!!
look at that SWEET face:cloud9:

NoahGrey August 22nd, 2007 11:03 AM

Please keep us updated on him. Would love to know if he has found a home.

ACO22

catsnatcher-CDN August 22nd, 2007 11:09 AM

well, the chances are very slim that he'll find a home. The vet is costing me 15$ a day to board him and he's already been there 2 weeks ( plus I have 3 other cats there being fixed and vaccinated). His options are a miracle in 2 days or back in the alley.

I can't keep him at the vet forever and have no place to put him.

NoahGrey August 22nd, 2007 11:15 AM

Have you tryed contacting your local HS. They might be able to point you to a rescue organization that deals with cats that have FIP. I know here, we have organizations that deal with FIP cats. But, I'm in Ontario. I am about 40 mins fron TO

ACO22

Frenchy August 22nd, 2007 11:18 AM

[QUOTE=catsnatcher-CDN;467797] His options are a miracle in 2 days or back in the alley.

[/QUOTE]

If we don't find a new owner before Friday , we will keep on searching :fingerscr I have a friend of mine who's spreading the word , I e-mailed everyone with the rescue I'm with. Keep hoping !!!

Frenchy August 22nd, 2007 11:19 AM

[QUOTE=ACO22;467799]Have you tryed contacting your local HS. They might be able to point you to a rescue organization that deals with cats that have FIP. I know here, we have organizations that deal with FIP cats. But, I'm in Ontario. I am about 40 mins fron TO

ACO22[/QUOTE]

All the shelters and rescues are overload with cats , they will not take one more , and not with FIV. :sad:

happycats August 22nd, 2007 11:59 AM

:fingerscr come on, someones get to know someone...:pray:

NoahGrey August 22nd, 2007 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;467803]All the shelters and rescues are overload with cats , they will not take one more , and not with FIV. :sad:[/QUOTE]

Trust me, I know that. I was trying to get at, they might be able to point you in the right direction, in a agency that takes in cats that have FIP.

ACO22

catsnatcher-CDN August 22nd, 2007 12:43 PM

He's such a lap cat. Someone must know someone who could offer a perfect home.

kiara August 22nd, 2007 08:02 PM

Martin is a handsome boy. ( Many vets don't agree about keeping FIV cats alive, especially homeless ones! ) The fact that he has FIV and lives outside is so sad. Everytime cats fight, this disease gets spread through a bite. You could contact Animal Rescue Network in Montreal, they keep FIV cats and Leukemia cats in separate rooms and they live out thir lives there, indoor. I am not sure if I am allowed to mention this on an open forum? Better be alive than dead, but what about their quality of life? Not everyone would agree with this idea ????? I think we should concentrate on healthy cats, but even they don't get adopted quickly. There are just too many of them. Should we use up our resources for the sick ones????

Frenchy August 22nd, 2007 08:15 PM

[QUOTE=kiara;468045]Not everyone would agree with this idea ????? I think we should concentrate on healthy cats, but even they don't get adopted quickly. There are just too many of them. Should we use up our resources for the sick ones????[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean , same goes for dogs with behavioral issues in need of a new home. This is too sad. But sometimes you come across a not so perfect pet that "catches" your heart ... in this case , Martin with catsnatcher-CDN ...

happycats August 23rd, 2007 07:25 AM

Another bump for Martin! :) I just can't seem to get his sweet smoshie face out of my mind:lovestruck:

catsnatcher-CDN August 23rd, 2007 08:03 AM

[QUOTE=kiara;468045]Martin is a handsome boy. ( Many vets don't agree about keeping FIV cats alive, especially homeless ones! ) The fact that he has FIV and lives outside is so sad. Everytime cats fight, this disease gets spread through a bite. You could contact Animal Rescue Network in Montreal, they keep FIV cats and Leukemia cats in separate rooms and they live out thir lives there, indoor. I am not sure if I am allowed to mention this on an open forum? Better be alive than dead, but what about their quality of life? Not everyone would agree with this idea ????? I think we should concentrate on healthy cats, but even they don't get adopted quickly. There are just too many of them. Should we use up our resources for the sick ones????[/QUOTE]

Except that the FIV is inactive and he is not sick. Which means, it could remain inactive for the rest of his life and he could never become sick. So, how could I put him to sleep because of the possibility that he may one day become sick.

Animal Rescue Network has over 300 cats.... Not only won't they take one more, but I couldn't IMAGINE EVER putting a cat in such a stressful situation where he would have to live with 300 cats. That's not an acceptable environment for any cat.

chico2 August 23rd, 2007 08:06 AM

I honestly do not think FIV cats are suffering,not that I know much about it:confused:
Our friend Tom volonteered for 15 yrs at the Oakville HS in "his" cat-adoption room,only stopped because HS decided to put down all "his" cats due to some desease(don't remember what it was)he always adopted impossible to place cats.
I believe Martin should have a chance,just like any other homeless abandonned cat,I wish I had a solution..

chico2 August 23rd, 2007 08:10 AM

C-S,I sooo agree with you,but it's easy to agree,much more difficult to find help:cry:

catsnatcher-CDN August 23rd, 2007 08:17 AM

An FIV cat is not a hopeless cat. Especially if the FIV is inactive and he is just a carrier like Martin.

An FIV cat can live like a regular cat in a home with or without other cats for the rest of their lives.

After having spoken to my vet and another rescue that I deal with regularly, it was decided that Martin is adoptable.

I wish I didn't have to re-release him outdoors but it's not easy finding a home for any cat.

I'm here trying to get him adopted and NOT start an ethical debate. It's hard enough finding him a home, let's use another thread for this debate.

He's still at the vet, still purring up a storm, still waiting for a home.

happycats August 23rd, 2007 06:21 PM

Bump for Martin!:pray:

catsnatcher-CDN August 23rd, 2007 08:15 PM

I just came from the vet and saw Martin. Everytime I made eye contact with him, he started to meow.

He's sooo loving. He's got the whole vet office charmed. He needs to live with someone who wants a lap cat.

Everyone is looking. Noone has a lead. :sad:

Rottielover August 23rd, 2007 08:34 PM

I really do wish I could help, tigger does not like other cats, which the fighting irritates harley...which can cause issues. If I could I would foster him, I love lap cats.
Darn tigger

Frenchy August 23rd, 2007 08:39 PM

A friend of mine has been working real hard , calling everyone she knows. She's trying to find an older/retired couple/person who would need the company :fingerscr I've e-mailed everyone I know ... nothing yet. :sad:

Winston August 23rd, 2007 10:57 PM

Does anyone know of a vet's office that would like to have an additon to the office? My vet had birthday signs up and balloons the other day for their resident cat Toby! he was 19...he is healthy but has gone a little strange as he gets older!! Just a thought?

Cindy

:thumbs up

canine14 August 24th, 2007 09:33 AM

Any news? Today's Friday. You are trying so hard and this cat was blessed to have found you. I am rooting for Martin.