Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself here - Say hello (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Hey Pet Lovers! (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14501)

laughingwaters April 26th, 2005 09:57 PM

Hey Pet Lovers!

Hi all,

My partner and I recently adopted an adorable 3 y.o. Papillon that we have christened Toby! We are aware of what baggage he presents with and are up to the challenge.

His former owners brought him to the shelter, presumably due to his agression. The staff say there was a severe language barrier between them and these people but Toby has grandiose ideas about his place in packs ... We will be working with him to settle that confusion and also for his obedience training. His life as a spoiled lap-child is safely behind him!

In our search for a dog, I spent many hours at pets.ca and hope to gain insights and tips as we go forward!

See you around! :crazy:

Princesss04 April 26th, 2005 10:26 PM

Welcome so glad that you decided to join! :D We LOVE pictures as you well know if you have been here awhile. Look forward to getting to know you and your fur baby better! :D

wjranch April 26th, 2005 10:56 PM

Personally, I'd like to thank you for adopting your pet :D
Also, I'm so glad you realize the issues that a small spoiled dog faces when not properly socialized in a pack structure.
You will most likely have some trying times ahead of you, But, try to always remember that Toby NEEDS a pack leader and he will love and respect you for being that for him.

Looking forward to pics Papillion's are toooooo cute for words! :D

laughingwaters April 27th, 2005 11:53 AM

Thanks for the big welcome. I'll post pictures as soon as we have taken some. Right now all I have is the one from the shelter & it makes him look twice his size!

He's definately a cutie - but without the prick ears. I think he may be a fullbred because the standard includes flop ears.

This morning he was very social with a matronly Scottie & that was great! So far he has also been a gentleman in the elevators. We know he has issues with male dominance but has accepted my partner as pack leader!

Thanks again for the welcome :love:

kandy April 27th, 2005 12:35 PM

Welcome

Welcome to the site. You'll have to keep us informed on the pap's progress. I am really curious since my mom owned one that we affectionately referred to as the 'anti-christ'. :p

laughingwaters April 28th, 2005 04:28 PM

Pap Progress

We've just come from the vet who confirmed that Toby is definately a Papillon mix. He has the coat and markings of a Pap but a longer body and stockier legs.

Apart from the reality check, he seems okay. We just need to wait for the lab results.

Kandy, I don't know if it was the Pap in him but my guy didn't like his rabies shot AT ALL. I did warn the doctor but he prefered not to compound matters with the muzzle. He's so worn out that he'll be an angel tonight!

Hope all is well today on the board. :thumbs up

laughingwaters May 5th, 2005 08:23 PM

Toby's Pic

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry it took us so long to get a proper picture of The Tobester!

L

twodogsandacat May 5th, 2005 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=laughingwaters]Toby has grandiose ideas about his place in packs ... We will be working with him to settle that confusion and also for his obedience training. His life as a spoiled lap-child is safely behind him![/QUOTE]

Nothing that a little tough love can't fix right? Congrats and as wjranch said thanks for adopting your pet.

laughingwaters May 6th, 2005 06:19 AM

It's incredible how well Toby has adjusted in just 2 weeks! He's fine in the elevator and hasn't been aggressive to anyone in the building or on walks. I really couldn't have wished for more in an adoptee! He's definately afraid of an open hand above his head so there was some abuse. He winces every now and again but really is a lover and not a fighter.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!! :party:

BMDLuver May 6th, 2005 07:39 AM

Toby

Aww Toby looks like an adorable little guy! Thanks for adopting him. I bet he knows he's the luckiest little dog.