Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes for humans (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Potluck Idea (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31839)

Hunter's_owner October 18th, 2006 09:14 AM

Potluck Idea

Looking for suggestions...

We are having a work potluck next Friday. Our division has to bring entrees.
I would like to hear any suggestions for something to bring.

We have to work in the morning and our potluck is in another building at 1:00, so it seems as though I will have to cook it the night before, bring it in to work, then bring it to the place where our potluck is being held.
Just makes it a little more difficult. I have yet to find out how stuff is supposed to stay warm...:confused: There are 12 of us in the division who have to do entrees...

So does anybody have any ideas.

Puppyluv October 18th, 2006 11:45 AM

Wait, entrees in the true sense, or entrees in the americanized sense? Ie. entrees as in appetizers or entrees as in main courses?
A stuffed sandwich could go for either, something like this:

Get a couple of baguettes. Slice them lengthwise leaving a hinge. Pull out the bread center and put in your food processor with fresh garlic, parsley and some parm. cheese. Drizzle in some olive oil.

In the bread shells first spread with herbed goats cheese. Then start to layer with cold cuts of your choice. I choose very flavorful salamis etc. then smoked provolone, roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, chopped olives, drizzle the juice from the artichoke hearts over all. Then add the crumb mixture from the processor. Wrap tightly and let sit over night in the fridge. Bring to room temp, slice diagonally in 3" sections. If you have an oven and can wrap in foil and bake until hot and then slice and serve it is great that way.

If it's the main course, you could do something like Chicken Cacciatore. It's always popular and can feed a crowd, without being overly fatty, nor starchy (as potluck food tends to be) You could put it in a crockpot and plug it in to keep it warm.

happycats October 18th, 2006 12:03 PM

Do you have a slow cooker and a place to plug it in?
Great easy dish, I make often, and is great for work, and solves the problem of keeping things warm. Easy too!!

1 box of "memories of Kobe" meatballs (Presidents choice)
1 jar of the "yellow" label Marie's BBQ sauce.
put both in the low cooker all day.

Taste's great!
You may want to double it, if you have big eaters.

Good luck

Hunter's_owner October 18th, 2006 12:45 PM

Entrees as in main course.
I don't have a crock pot or a slow cooker...
Although I am thinking of getting one, maybe now I will have to.

technodoll October 18th, 2006 12:51 PM

[B]Quiche![/B] Cheap, fast and easy to make, the varieties are endless, and can be sliced any size portion and eaten at room temperature.. make some veggie ones, some meat ones, a combo of both, use different cheeses... :)

happycats October 18th, 2006 12:52 PM

Slow cookers are great for work functions as well as home! I love mine!
There are many great slow cookers recipes.
You can even make salt beef and cabbage in the slow cooker.....Mmmmm..Mmmmm one of my favorites! :D One of my co-workers always makes it for our potlucks.

Hunter's_owner October 18th, 2006 01:21 PM

Happycats are you from Newfoundland??? ;)
The salt beef and cabbage thing, I thought that was a Newfoundland delicacy...

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and you can keep em coming...I have a week to decide :D

happycats October 18th, 2006 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=Hunter's_owner]Happycats are you from Newfoundland??? ;)
The salt beef and cabbage thing, I thought that was a Newfoundland delicacy...

Thanks for the suggestions guys, and you can keep em coming...I have a week to decide :D[/QUOTE]

No I'm not, but many of my co-workers are, and got me hooked on it:) and yes it is delicacy, that and cod tongues :eek: (that I have never tried!)

Hunter's_owner October 18th, 2006 01:44 PM

I knew there had to be a Newfoundland connection :D .
There are many Newfoundland delicacies, and yes cod tongues are one of them ;) . It really sounds worse than it is. It looks nothing like a tongue actually...

LibbyP October 18th, 2006 02:14 PM

I don't know if this fits the your idea of a potluck but it's easy and yummy to bring:

cauliflower and broccoli salad

1-2 heads of each (really as much as you want)
mayo (light if you want)
dash of wht vinegar
sunflower seeds (no shell/salt free)
dash of wht sugar

cut heads into bite size pieces, add the rest of ingredients into large bowl/serving container, mix together the night before and let sit in the fridge overnight with a lid on, next day stir and serve

I also think a slow cooker is a must in any home, sooo quick and easy:D

Prin October 18th, 2006 04:22 PM

You just have to bring one thing? Mashed patates stay warm for a while... The way I make them when I'm trying to kill people with tastiness is for every 10lbs of patates, you put in 250ml of sour cream and one big pack of cream cheese (the philedelphia bar kind).:thumbs up You can also make it the day before and reheat it if necessary.

Otherwise, how about shep's pie? That stays pretty warm for a while too.

phoenix October 18th, 2006 04:37 PM

oh, I make that salad too Libby, but I put in bacon and raisins too.

I agree- a slow cooker is a great buy!

rainbow October 18th, 2006 07:21 PM

Is salt beef and cabbage the same thing as corned beef and cabbage?

And what exactly are cod tongues?

jesse's mommy October 18th, 2006 07:37 PM

Even though I hate it and can't stand the smell (issues from my childhood with my parents force feeding it to me), but what about sloppy joes in a crock pot?

ByronsMum October 18th, 2006 07:55 PM

[QUOTE=Puppyluv]Get a couple of baguettes. Slice them lengthwise leaving a hinge. Pull out the bread center and put in your food processor with fresh garlic, parsley and some parm. cheese. Drizzle in some olive oil.

In the bread shells first spread with herbed goats cheese. Then start to layer with cold cuts of your choice. I choose very flavorful salamis etc. then smoked provolone, roasted red peppers, marinated artichoke hearts, chopped olives, drizzle the juice from the artichoke hearts over all. Then add the crumb mixture from the processor. Wrap tightly and let sit over night in the fridge. Bring to room temp, slice diagonally in 3" sections. If you have an oven and can wrap in foil and bake until hot and then slice and serve it is great that way.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]OH MY GOODNESS, Puppyluv!! I GOTTA try that one at home! My mouth was just watering as I was reading your post! In the wise words of Homer Simpson: "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......" :p [/SIZE][/FONT]

Byrd October 18th, 2006 08:06 PM

Slow cooker chili would be good. (I posted a recipe in the people recipe area).

I was also gonna suggest quiche, I make mine with tart pastries, so they are single serving.

Prin October 18th, 2006 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=jesse's mommy]Even though I hate it and can't stand the smell (issues from my childhood with my parents force feeding it to me), but what about sloppy joes in a crock pot?[/QUOTE]
omg are you yet another one of my long lost sisters? Or do all parents force feed sloppy joes?

jesse's mommy October 18th, 2006 08:29 PM

It's so bad that I can't even smell it without getting nauseous. :yuck:

LibbyP October 18th, 2006 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=jesse's mommy]It's so bad that I can't even smell it without getting nauseous. :yuck:[/QUOTE]

ROTFLMAO heeheehee, I think we are all related, just the thought of the bread/bun getting all mushy.... gag *burp* gotta go......

Hunter's_owner October 19th, 2006 09:26 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by [B]Rainbow[/B]
[I]Is salt beef and cabbage the same thing as corned beef and cabbage?

And what exactly are cod tongues[/I]?[/QUOTE]

Well I'm not sure what corned beef is...:o .
Salt beef is actual pieces of meat in a salted liquid...don't know if that is the proper way to explain it. You can buy it in buckets, or indiviudal pieces. You place it in water, for a while, then boil it in more water for another while along with some vegetables...cabbage, carrot, turnip, potatoes. We call it "Jigg's Dinner".

Cod tongues are actually the tongues of the cod fish. Sounds gross, but it really isn't, and looks more like cod nuggets, so if someone told you it was cod nuggets, you wouldn't know the difference ;) .

wdawson October 19th, 2006 09:50 PM

COD TONGUE....[img]http://bestsmileys.com/puking/1.gif[/img]

Hunter's_owner October 20th, 2006 07:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah Yeah, Each to their own.
I personally like cod tonuges, and I am not a lover of strange foods that come from animals. So I can see why someone would say that its disgusting without even seeing or tasting it.

happycats October 20th, 2006 08:32 AM

I hear cod tongues are delicious!! I'm just not a big fish eater, so haven'e tried it, although I love Sushi:) :crazy: .

Pinwheel sandwiches are another idea.
Get the bakery to cut the bread in slices the opposite way (length) and take each long slice and either use egg, tuna, salmon (or all 3) salad and spread, then roll up and slice (the look like jelly rolls when complete) arrange on a platter with garnish (either pickles, olives, pickled beets, pickled onions, or all) in the middle.
It's simple, but looks amazing when complete.

Hunter's_owner October 20th, 2006 08:36 AM

Thanks for all the ideas everyone :) .
I thought I had a picture of cod tongues, but it didn't post right :rolleyes: .

glasslass October 21st, 2006 11:36 PM

Homemade, artery-clogging, baked macaroni and cheese is my specialty to take to a potluck. Not the stuff from the box!

mummummum October 22nd, 2006 02:16 AM

Expand this as needed for the number of hungry tummies.

Cut (3) red peppers in half, cleaned, seeded and de-pithed. If you can still BBQ so much the better ~ if not, put them cut-side down on a baking sheet under the broiler until the skin is charred and blistering off the flesh. Immediately place in a grocery store type plastic bag and seal by knotting the bag. Set aside until cooled. Chop up a can of anchovies into small bits (no one EVER knows I put the hairy fish in if I chop it small enough...). Add a tablespoon or so of cracked black peppercorns (*no, black pepper powder is NOT the same here) so either buy them cracked or whole and grind them coarsely in your pepper mill/ spice grinder. Julienne (slice lengthwise to about 1/4" wide or just tear it up if you're not in touch with your inner Julia Child) some fresh basil. Drizzle with a good quality extra-virgin olive oil and toss gently to mix. Let it sit on the counter to steep the flavours. By now your peppers should be cool. Peel off the skin ~ it should come off quite easily but no mega-worries if it doesn't all slough off. Toss the peppers with the basil mixture add a little more oil if needed ~ if the peppers have a sheen and the basil mix is sticking to it you're good to go. Refridgerate overnight if you are making it the night before but leave it out during the morning of your feast day as it's meant to be at room temperature and the flavours evolve better with time.

rainbow October 22nd, 2006 02:42 AM

[QUOTE=Hunter's_owner]Well I'm not sure what corned beef is...:o .
Salt beef is actual pieces of meat in a salted liquid...don't know if that is the proper way to explain it. You can buy it in buckets, or indiviudal pieces. You place it in water, for a while, then boil it in more water for another while along with some vegetables...cabbage, carrot, turnip, potatoes. We call it "Jigg's Dinner".

Cod tongues are actually the tongues of the cod fish. Sounds gross, but it really isn't, and looks more like cod nuggets, so if someone told you it was cod nuggets, you wouldn't know the difference ;) .[/QUOTE]

Could be the same.....or close. :shrug: ....

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef[/url]

Do you cook the cod tongues? :fingerscr :D

Hunter's_owner October 22nd, 2006 08:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yeah I think its the same. Learn something new everyday.

Yes the cod tongues can be baked or fried. ;)

Hunter's_owner October 22nd, 2006 08:58 PM

The attachment never works....hmmm...

Here is a link to a pic, but don't mind the captioning :o
[url]http://flickr.com/photos/tod/66376910/in/set-1405406/[/url]

rainbow October 22nd, 2006 10:50 PM

They look good but I never expected them to look that big. :o I guess we're just going to have to make a trip to Newfoundland one day. :D :fingerscr