Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Recipes for humans (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   HELP!!my split peas soup is crap (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=15229)

melanie May 17th, 2005 01:33 AM

HELP!!my split peas soup is crap

:yuck: help me oh please help me. i am a desperate lover of a fine split pea soup without meat or any meat products such as stocks.

there is an old man in town with the best split pea soup, but he refuses point blank to give out the recepie.

mine turns out like peas in water, not very tasty :yuck: .

so anyone got any amazing favourite split pea soup recepies, i want tried and true one if possible.

help winter is here and im hungry................

BMDLuver May 17th, 2005 07:11 AM

lmao

[B]Split Pea Soup[/B], a french canadian tradition! Uck, hate the stuff but my Dad adores it so here goes:

1 cup dry split peas
4 cups chicken broth, you can sub vegetable broth
1/4 tsp dried marjoram, crushed
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion

Rinse peas. In a large saucepan combine peas, broth, marjoram, bay leaf and dash of pepper. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour. Stir occasionally. Stir in carrot, celery and onion. Return to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until veg are crisp tender. Discard bay leaf.

If it's not stick to your ribs, as my father prefers, process half the soup in a blender/cuisinart or handheld blender to thicken.

melanie May 17th, 2005 05:00 PM

thank you so much, that is jsut brilliant. yes i think the lack of celery is where i go mostly wrong, thank your father for having such great taste :crazy: and thank you for takingthe timeto psot, i will get the ingredients today i cant wait.

i love split pea soups, but over here they mainly eat pea and ham soups, which as a kid i loved also.

oh yum im off to fill my belly.

thank you your an angel :queen:

BMDLuver May 17th, 2005 05:09 PM

lol, my pleasure!

Karin May 17th, 2005 10:24 PM

I like my split pea soup with sweet potatos & carrots.
I soak the dry peas overnight then baked them with the other veggies in a shallow cake pan. The peas will not turn to mush if baked instead of boiling.

melanie May 18th, 2005 04:55 PM

thanks honey i will try and bake it, sweet potato is a great idea, i note you are always in the dog house these days, oh dear me :D lol :D

Derek & Jeter August 3rd, 2005 02:29 PM

The Answer Maybe?

I made it in the spring (first time) and taste tested it an hour before it was mushy, which is how I like it. It was really tasteless so I added about 1/2 tsp granulated garlic and the same amount of salt and 5 Cloves (to about 2 & 1/2
litres of soup) in the last hour of cooking. I'm not even sure if that's the correct name for them - they're the little things shaped like a star with a stem that are put in the centre of a slice of pinapple over brown sugar on Ham roast. I liked it more with (Cloves of ?) than without.

Next time I'm going to soak the peas (to hopefully soften them), because it takes too long to cook otherwise. Hope you like it, if you try it. :)

Luba August 3rd, 2005 03:25 PM

I never measure Melsie but this is what I put in:

Green Onion and Red Onion Chopped
Peas of course
Carrot
Turnip
A couple of potato's
Salt and Pepper to taste
and Cloves of garlic (large pot....4/5 cloves)

I simmer it in a lot of water or veggie stock whichever u prefer.
After it's all mushy I let it cool off then I take a hand blender and puree it while still in the pot, return to the stove and do taste testing.
I like cracked pepper corn in mine.

There ya go...lots of great ideas here!!

glasslass August 3rd, 2005 07:53 PM

I took a soup class at the winery last fall. One thing I learned is to saute the fresh vegetables with a little butter or oil before adding the broth. It develops a much better flavor. And onions! Think of the rich flavor of french onion soup! Then get busy and saute those onions til they start to brown. I love to serve split pea soup with a spoon of sour cream (are dairy products ok?) and a splash of sherry! Yum!

StaceyB August 3rd, 2005 08:06 PM

I really have to eat something you are making me very hungry.