Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum for cats and dogs (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Need to know what small breed dog is good with kids (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=829)

ginamf November 18th, 2002 08:10 PM

Need to know what small breed dog is good with kids

Thinking of getting a small dog for family with 3 kids the youngest 23 months old. What kind of breed is the best to consider having that is even tempered. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: and doesn't shed too much...
Information is greatly appreciated :p thanx

Anne November 19th, 2002 11:07 PM

I'm not much help to you here because I don't much care for the small breeds, they all seem to be snappy and barkers. This is probably because the owners don't seem to feel the need to obedience train them. Are you able to take the dog to obedience classes and train it properly. Otherwise it will just behave like a dog and snap and growl and guard its possessions. A dog is what you make it. Little children can also be very hard on a small dog, they play rough and can easily hurt a little dog. Have you owned a dog before?? If not I would say that with such a very young family it might be wiser to wait.

Michele November 20th, 2002 01:30 PM

Small dogs

Ann: I have a chihuahua...not "all" small dogs yap.....my chihuahua does not yap at all...I think it's all how you train the dog.....

caramelito November 20th, 2002 04:44 PM

hey

i would recomend
you look up
the breeds like:
-chihuahua
-beagle
-pug
-jack russel terrier (short hair, if you want the one that doesn't shed much)
-dachshund (short hair)

i would prefer either beagle or pug

but it's up to you to choose,
so find a little about the breeds
check out what they look like and which one
would suit you and your life style

BrunosMom November 23rd, 2002 07:05 PM

"The Nanny Dog"

In Britain the most popular dog generally refered to as the "Nanny Dog" is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. They are slightly shorter then the beagle, however weighs quite a bit more.

The reason they are so good with children is because generally children play rough with animals. Because this dog was bred for it's incredible high pain tolerence (In the 1800's this breed was generally used for bull baiting and dog fighting) and LOVE for children.
Many people confuse this dog for the american pit bull terrier, however it's important to note that this dog spawned from the fighting breeds it was turned into a show dog and family pet around the mid 1800's.
Todays Staffordshire Bull Terrier is an incredible family pet, and a very healthy hearty dog.

I would be careful with adopting a small dog such as a chihuahua when children do not know much about "reading a dog". Since these dogs bone structures are quite small they are easy to hurt.

Good luck in your hunt! And if you would like any information about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier feel free to email me at [email]info@itapitty.com[/email].

Anne November 24th, 2002 03:47 AM

Your'e right, I didn't even think about a Staffy. They are wonderful dogs but still need obedience training as they are quite strong and tend to pull like mad on lead. Great with kids too. Good idea.

BrunosMom November 24th, 2002 09:39 AM

Yep I agree! They are quite strong on the lead. You should definitely get your older kids to help partake in the training classes!

-Sara

shadowKat January 19th, 2003 10:33 AM

I've been reading about Corgi's.msg

I'm thinking in the future of getting a dog..but right now I have to six year old cats...so I'm doing a lot of reseach first...they seem to be very pleasant dogs but because of herding instincts have to be trained not to nip at heels according to one book..but then all dogs need to be trained to be good pets..another dog..but its not small is a Grey hound..according to the greyhound rescure people I've talked to..they very seldom back..don't shed or smell "doggie" are very very good natured and don't believe it or not require a lot of excerise.

BrunosMom January 19th, 2003 11:37 AM

greyhounds

Greyhounds shed, and Corgis shed ALOT.

shadowKat January 20th, 2003 01:22 PM

Yes Corgis do.msg

but the greyhound rescuse told me they didn't shed as much s most dogs..actually I have cats and goodness knows they shed too :-)..but with proper grooming most pets are good family members.

CSweet January 27th, 2003 03:37 AM

small dogs are great with kids.

I have a 7 month old Pomeranian and a 5 month old Neice. She pulls on my dogs fur and all he ever does is lick her. But I do agree it is in the training, I have had Harley around people since the first day I got him, I let people pet him and some hold him. If there were a group of adults and one child, Harley would run to the child. Teach them early. -Crissy :) :D

beagle_baby February 27th, 2003 02:32 AM

I have two 3 year old beagles and they are just great with kids, and also good with my pet rabbit and the newcomer to the family a 9 month old stray cat. They are very docile and mostly like to lay around and sleep all day. My nephew does all kinds of things to my dogs like pulling on their tails and ears (not that I just let him do it of coarse) but sometimes he does it when you have your head turned but the dogs don't even care. I recommend beagles because they are relatively small that they won't knock your kids over all the time but big enough that they can endure some rough and tumble from the kids.

cookie13mom March 5th, 2003 10:46 AM

small breeds

I run a home dycare and have two 6 month cockapoos. They are great with all the kids-don't shed-very trainable and loveable. I have a rabbit and they get along great.
Good luck on your dog hunting Debbie

Katty April 6th, 2003 07:37 PM

HI, I've seen Beagles around small kids, and they love 'em. Beagles are very loyal dogs, and are great companions.:)