Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca

Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca (http://www.pets.ca/forum/index.php)
-   Pet free photography (http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   What bird shouldn't be in this picture (http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46212)

clm November 3rd, 2007 05:16 PM

What bird shouldn't be in this picture

3 Attachment(s)
He's looking pretty robust still, but doesn't belong in a cold climate for sure.

Some other birds in the yard today as well, 3 pairs of cardinals, only managed to get shots of a few of them, they're too busy fighting over the territory right now. We had 13 cardinals here the winter before last. It was amazing.

Cindy

clm November 3rd, 2007 05:18 PM

A few more

3 Attachment(s)
Our first white breasted nuthatch ever.
A chickadee and a female red winged blackbird getting a drink at the pond.

Cindy

Lukka'sma November 3rd, 2007 05:40 PM

I love your bird pictures.
Chickadees, white breasted nuthatch and red winged blackbird are all birds I enjoy seeing. I often get the white breasted nuthatchs on my pear tree.
I find birds so much fun to watch, and some day hope to see a pileated woodpecker, a Mountain Bluebird and a Scarlet Tanager.

JanM November 3rd, 2007 06:03 PM

Great bird pictures! Are you sure that's a Red-winged blackbird??? The ones I've seen don't have that light stripe down their heads/necks and are quite black.

That poor little blue boy - I do hope he finds an indoor home or he just won't make it through the winter...

clm November 3rd, 2007 06:12 PM

[QUOTE=JanM;497593]Are you sure that's a Red-winged blackbird??? The ones I've seen don't have that light stripe down their heads/necks and are quite black.

That poor little blue boy - I do hope he finds an indoor home or he just won't make it through the winter...[/QUOTE]

It's a female red wing blackbird. Not as black and flashy as the males.

Yes, I worry about the budgie. It's been so cold here at night. I'm happy he's eating well anyway. Putting the cage outside to see if he'd go in it has been a waste of time. No birds will go in it. Even if the feeders are empty. Now the squirrels will go in and eat the seed. :laughing:

Cindy

happycats November 3rd, 2007 06:58 PM

[QUOTE=clm;497596]It's a female red wing blackbird. Not as black and flashy as the males.

Yes, I worry about the budgie. It's been so cold here at night. I'm happy he's eating well anyway. Putting the cage outside to see if he'd go in it has been a waste of time. No birds will go in it. Even if the feeders are empty. Now the squirrels will go in and eat the seed. :laughing:

Cindy[/QUOTE]

Awww poor little Budgie:sad:it's way to cold for him now. To bad you can't catch him, throw a net over him or something/

hazelrunpack November 3rd, 2007 08:33 PM

Poor budgie! :sad: I don't suppose he's chummy with humans, eh? Sigh...

I absolutely love chickadees and nuthatches (both red- and white-breasted). They're so tame at the feeders. Some days I'll be filling the feeders with my hands all over it and I'll hear a bird whir in from behind. If I freeze, chances are the chickadee or nuthatch will still come to the feeder with me standing there :cloud9:...until the dogs rush over, anyway! :laughing:

I think your red-winged blackbird is an immature male, Cindy. The females look very similar but have no rosy wing bar like the bird in the picture. That's a great shot, by the way! :thumbs up

Lukka'sma--we have pileated woodpeckers here all year (there are a pair nesting in the next yard) and we have scarlet tanagers all summer. When you comin' to visit? Eh? :D (You'll have to bring your own mountain bluebirds, though--all we have are the eastern variety. :shrug:)

Lukka'sma November 4th, 2007 07:52 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;497699]Lukka'sma--we have pileated woodpeckers here all year (there are a pair nesting in the next yard) and we have scarlet tanagers all summer. When you comin' to visit? Eh? :D (You'll have to bring your own mountain bluebirds, though--all we have are the eastern variety. :shrug:)[/QUOTE]

Eastern variety will do! I'm on my way

CearaQC November 4th, 2007 10:27 AM

If they won't go into the cage, why not try introducing hand feeding? People do that with hummingbirds all the time on YouTube. lol

But seriously, there's a guy that has a website out there on how to gain trust of wild birds that come to feed. I'll try to find it.

Poor budgie! Used to have a couple when I was a kid. Fun birds! We used to tape toothpicks underneath glass on a combo chair lamp/table, and when the birds were let out for play they would peck the glass and try to get the toothpick but never could. lol

When all else fails, stalk out the area with a huge net. :evil:

Frenchy November 4th, 2007 11:19 AM

What the heck is that budgie doing outside ? :sad: people just let them go ? :frustrated:

clm November 4th, 2007 01:21 PM

[QUOTE=Frenchy;497907]What the heck is that budgie doing outside ? :sad: people just let them go ? :frustrated:[/QUOTE]

I swear there are some people who get tired of the mess they make and just let them go :frustrated: I get some around here every year. I've managed to catch a couple over the years. The ones who've had little human contact are the ones that are the hardest to catch. You know, the people who get the birds, never play or talk to them, never finger tame them. It's a shame but they tend to be really skittish and impossible to get close enough to to catch if they're outside.

Cindy

roccoisus November 4th, 2007 01:40 PM

I would just die if my Boo-boo bird budgie ever got out side How sad looks like a little boy bird :cry: The wild bird pictures are beautiful

Frenchy November 4th, 2007 03:23 PM

[QUOTE=clm;497946]I swear there are some people who get tired of the mess they make and just let them go :frustrated:
Cindy[/QUOTE]

:mad: how responsable :frustrated:

chico2 November 4th, 2007 05:06 PM

I've had Budgies here too,the last 2,after trying Birdcages from HS,posters up and other tricks,were found dead in my frontyard one day in december,they cannot survive the cold,for sure:sad:
I had some pics,but I must have deleted them:shrug:
People are such monsters sometimes:sad:

jiorji November 6th, 2007 01:46 PM

my mom's friend's hubby's kid has a budgie and his dad keeps joking he'll set him free in the spring cos he feels sorry for him being trapped in a cage. But he'll let him go in the spring...not NOW..cos you know the cold will get him...but of course next year won't have a winter obviously:rolleyes::loser:

clm November 6th, 2007 01:54 PM

I haven't seen him for 2 days now, but it's almost dark when I get home at night with the time change:frustrated:

I should get home a little earlier tonight. I hope the poor little guy is still okay.

Cindy

chico2 November 6th, 2007 04:55 PM

Jiorji,a Cage-Budgie will not survive in the wild,I watched the 2 I had at my feeders beeing attacked by other birds.
IMO,never set a domesticated bird"free"..they'll die.

hazelrunpack November 6th, 2007 10:58 PM

[QUOTE=clm;498690]I haven't seen him for 2 days now, but it's almost dark when I get home at night with the time change:frustrated:

I should get home a little earlier tonight. I hope the poor little guy is still okay.

Cindy[/QUOTE]

Have you tried baiting an open cage with a largish mirror? Likely the bird is more lonely than hungry--and all our budgies used to love their reflections. Don't know if it would work :shrug: Worth a shot, maybe?

clm November 6th, 2007 11:37 PM

Well, I was home early enough this afternoon. Filled up the feeders again and no sign of him. :sad:
I hope someone caught him and not something like a hawk, cat or owl.

Cindy

rainbow November 7th, 2007 03:37 AM

I hope so too. :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2 November 7th, 2007 07:33 AM

clm,the Oakville HS lent me a birdcage and gave me some budgie-food hoping I would be able to catch the 2 Budgies,but it did not work,maybe it would for you..but it's been soo cold and miserable :sad:

clm November 7th, 2007 07:50 AM

Thanks Chico2, I have a few bird cages and did try a few. I've never had success catching budgies that way in the past, but I gave it a try anyway. I haven't seen this little guy since Sunday now.

Cindy

chico2 November 7th, 2007 07:55 AM

Aww poor thing,it's so difficult when you are totally helpless to rescue them:sad:
Depending on how scared he is,you might be able to catch him in a net,ours were always too high up..

clm November 10th, 2007 09:14 PM

Well, much to my surprise, he was at 3 of the feeders this morning. I guess he doesn't feed later on in the day and that's why I didn't see him all week. He must not be active after 4:00 when I get home. He's still looking very healthy. Amazing considering how cold and wet it's been. No easier to get close to to catch mind you. He's hanging out with a flock of sparrows. He's learned from them well. He takes off when they do if they're frightened, he's learned where to hide to avoid the hawks and the cats that hunt them and he's sleeping in the big evergreens with them at night. I saw him head up into a huge spruce with them this evening.

Cindy

hazelrunpack November 10th, 2007 09:21 PM

Any chance of finding a recording of budgies singing? Maybe setting up a recording and putting a mirror in a cage would bring him in?

He looks just like my Ami did... :sad:

chico2 November 11th, 2007 08:03 AM

clm,a long time ago we had another Budgie here(it's happened a few times)I don't know if he might have been just weak,or very tame,but he was on the ground and we just scooped him up and brought him to HS.
2 summers ago we had one of those white parrots,I think they are Cockatiels(sp?)in out tree,the owners were here and tried desperatly to get him,but to no avail,he flew off:sad:
Sparrows can be very agressive,I've even seen a group of Sparrows attack a Mourning-Dove,but it sounds like your Budgie has found some friends..

chico2 November 11th, 2007 08:16 AM

I forgot to mention I LOVE your birdie-pics,I too have a Nuthatcher,I've never seen one before,had to check my bird-book:D
The Hawks are back too,but "my"3 Crows are great sentinels(sp?)look after their little cousins.
It's strange,but I've learned their behaviours,know when they are panicking,the Crows especially,they always let me know when a threat is around.
Crazy bird-lady???:laughing:

12Paws November 14th, 2007 08:51 AM

[QUOTE=hazelrunpack;500520]Any chance of finding a recording of budgies singing? Maybe setting up a recording and putting a mirror in a cage would bring him in?

He looks just like my Ami did... :sad:[/QUOTE]

I was also thinking if you could ask around to see if anyone had a budgie of their own... weather permitting set it's cage next to the one with the open door.
I had a female blue budgie for 12 years. She was my pet while growing up from pre-teen on. I loved her, she used to ride along in my shirt pocket, no joke. She died the day before she had surgery scheduled to remove her tumor... cancer of the preen gland. I haven't had a budgie since but I love to hear them. They have that chattery kind of talk.

Great pics btw!

Melinda November 14th, 2007 09:00 AM

most free budgies are lost when the back of the truck is open for the transfer into pet shops, at least thats what I was told, when I caught the loose one two years ago, I just kept going out and talking to it when ever I'd see it, then I'd place a cracker between my fingers and say" well there's the pretty bird etc etc" I eventually got close enough to it to grab it, mind you, my fingers sure hurt for awhile *L* sharp beaks, she was so intent on the cracker that she didn't watch my other hand

clm November 18th, 2007 08:34 PM

I never would have believed it, but the budgie is still coming down to the feeders and doing fine. It's been really cold here at night, especially this weekend. It was -5 when I took the puppies out this morning. As soon as it was light, he was down to the feeders with his flock of sparrows. He still commands prime spot at the feeders and drinks freely from the pond. This is one tough budgie. I don't get to see him during the week, but the weekends he's still here and hanging tough.

Cindy